U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:01 PM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
have you upgraded a dell that's on windows 8 to windows 10. that's if you have a dell running on windows 8 i dunno is what i'm saying. my dell had windows 8 on it and i upgraded to 10 and it's been a nightmare ever sense. why has it been a nightmare because dell didn't write the drivers and firmware to support older machines and they refused to so now every so often i have a scrap project screw dell you could never give me another one!!! and iv'e put linux on it and told MS to screw off
No, I went from 7 to 10. At least 45 times.
8 should be even easier.
Occasionally problems happen. With every PC and every OS and frankly every device. Sorry you had trouble. Honestly.
But most people don't.
Did you consuly the City-Data Geek Squad? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 03:22 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,249,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I still have and use my original XP and had to go to Win 7 which serves me fine.
The reason for change about 3 years ago was it no longer had software needed for certain customers.
Now,my Express Scripts for meds is saying the same thing for after 12/2016.I now have Doctor which when wanting to pay bill says I have to have Win 8 and up!!
I have a reserve on Win 10 and am a complete nerd on computers but have all bills,doctors ect on line,hardly use mail.
My problem is I am happy where I am with dial up,$119 per year,do not need fancy stuff.
I will have to get someone to install Win !0,Win 10 and 7 are like my Dish Net,only use a couple of items.
I started with Me and changed to XP was transparent,Win 7 not xo.
One question is how long do I have before I have to upgrade to Win 10??
I am retired senior,83.
Your computer is probably 15+ years old or so if you started with Windows ME.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to upgrade your current computer to Windows 10 (it probably doesn't have enough "horsepower" to run Windows 10). So you'll have to buy a new computer. The second piece of bad news is that although Windows 10 can support a dial-up connection - dial-up modems aren't standard in new computers today. You will either have to customize a machine when you're buying it from a manufacturer - or (more likely) buy a standalone USB dial-up modem that works with Windows 10. Something like this:

USR :: USR5639 USB Softmodem

In terms of when you have to upgrade - I guess no later than 12/2016 if you want to keep using Express Scripts (or earlier if people like your doctor won't accept your Windows 7 connection now). Robyn

Old 08-13-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No, I went from 7 to 10. At least 45 times.
8 should be even easier.
Occasionally problems happen. With every PC and every OS and frankly every device. Sorry you had trouble. Honestly.
But most people don't.
Did you consuly the City-Data Geek Squad? LOL
You must do that kind of work for a living. Doubt the average consumer would be happy having to upgrade 45 times .

I think the big issue is often devices/peripheral hardware. And I don't think it's the computer manufacturer's responsibility to come up with new Windows 10 drivers for every piece of hardware that's out there. OTOH - I was glad that Lenovo tech support helped me to find the right bluetooth drivers for my Bose Mini Soundlink (although I did manage to find the right drivers for my HP multi-function printer myself). Robyn

Old 08-13-2016, 04:00 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,803,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
1. Microsoft stopped security updates for XP April 2015. The U.S. military does use XP but they pay for the updates.

You keep your monitor and buy one of these you just plug it and and boot up. No $40 tech person needed.
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...0GY1JQ71RP3TGQ
That's a great idea for some people, but the OP says she's not computer literate. I have a feeling that she's going to have a problem with not having any of the programs that she's used to on her new computer. Also, I'd never discourage anyone from replacing a 10-year-old monitor. Any new one I've used is so superior to one that old, it's one of the best things about getting a new computer. I'll bet the OP will love HD.

And to the OP, I would say: don't let your fear of Windows 10 stop you from buying a computer on which it's preloaded. I used XP for years, and then used Windows 7. When I first got a computer with Windows 10 on it, I didn't have to learn anything to start using it. Of course to use it to its potential there are things you will want to learn in the future. But don't think for a minute you will need to do research to start using your computer. It's intuitive and anyone who has used any previous Windows system will be able to operate it without thinking for basic uses.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 08-13-2016 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: add something

Old 08-13-2016, 06:25 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
And to the OP, I would say: don't let your fear of Windows 10 stop you from buying a computer on which it's preloaded. I used XP for years, and then used Windows 7. When I first got a computer with Windows 10 on it, I didn't have to learn anything to start using it. Of course to use it to its potential there are things you will want to learn in the future. But don't think for a minute you will need to do research to start using your computer. It's intuitive and anyone who has used any previous Windows system will be able to operate it without thinking for basic uses.
I couldn't agree more. Everything that you'll use on a daily basis is still on the start menu just like before. Yes the start menu has been redesigned a bit, but it's conceptually the same.

It also can't be said enough, but hitting the Windows key (or start button), and just typing what you are looking for makes finding things in Windows super easy, and was one of the reasons I abandoned XP as soon as Vista came out.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:32 AM

150 posts, read 128,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I still have and use my original XP and had to go to Win 7 which serves me fine.
I am retired senior,83.
I'm also retired and past your age! About 10 years ago I switched all my computers to Linux operating systems (currently Mint 17.3 Mate) and have never looked back. Much of what you are using is over Internet and probably doesn't need M$ programs. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That's a great idea for some people, but the OP says she's not computer literate. I have a feeling that she's going to have a problem with not having any of the programs that she's used to on her new computer. Also, I'd never discourage anyone from replacing a 10-year-old monitor. Any new one I've used is so superior to one that old, it's one of the best things about getting a new computer. I'll bet the OP will love HD.

I agree with everything you said - but the bolded part can be problematic for some users.

I think the biggest change for me was going from Outlook Express (which hasn't been supported in years) to Outlook. Wasn't too hard for me to get Outlook up and running in a basic sense. But it will probably take me a few months to figure out the "fine points" and customize the program to my satisfaction. I guess people with one email account (or even more than one email account) from a single company can use the company email programs. But I have email accounts from 3 companies - so I really need a program to organize everything.

Another program I'm having some issues with is Photoshop Elements. I had version 8 (ancient) and upgraded to the newest version. Don't have problems seeing/editing my pictures. But I still haven't figured out how to convert the old organizer into a format that the new organizer will recognize. Will probably take another stab or two at it before I give up (it's not like my pictures were so organized to start with ).

I can see other areas where people might have issues. Like going from an old version of Internet Explorer to the new Microsoft browser. And carrying over things like bookmarks. I use Firefox - so that wasn't an issue for me.

Then of course there can be issues in terms of getting peripherals to run. Finding drivers that work on Windows 10 (if they're available). Etc.

My father is 98 and is still using Windows 7. I told him in no uncertain terms not to upgrade to Windows 10 - even though it was free. I don't think he'd be able to learn what he has to learn to run Windows 10. Not at his age (and I'm not going to spend weeks getting him up and running). Robyn

Old 08-14-2016, 03:44 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,699,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
One that's wired is getting about 125 mbps down. One that's on wifi is getting about 55 mbps down (even though the router is only about 5 feet away).

I strongly suggest using wired connections - especially if you're running graphics/video intensive apps. Even if it requires some retrofitting in terms of wiring. We did that a couple of years ago. Ours was a fairly complicated project (we ran our internet signal through our old unused cat 5 telephone wiring - and turned old phone jacks into ethernet jacks). We had to hire a professional to do it. But there may be easier solutions for some people. Robyn
you must have a blazing fast internet connection, or terrible wi-fi.

Very few of us would need, or use, 125 down.

Newer wifi routers are plenty fast. wired ethernet is old school and a PIA.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
you must have a blazing fast internet connection, or terrible wi-fi.

Very few of us would need, or use, 125 down.

Newer wifi routers are plenty fast. wired ethernet is old school and a PIA.
What speed are you getting through your wifi connections?

We have Comcast/Xfinity fiber where I live. It was originally installed by Mediaone in the mid-90's - one of the first fiber installations in the country. Our speed is advertised as 105 mbps down - but it is usually faster in my neck of the woods than it perhaps is in other metro areas (my father - on the other side of town - gets the same wired download speeds that we do). We could get even faster speeds - but I don't think we need them. AT&T is laying its own fiber in this area now as well. Don't know what speeds we might get in the future from AT&T - or what it will cost. Perhaps we'll get Google fiber too in the future.

I suspect I could get better wifi if I got a better router - and didn't only use the Xfinity standard modem/router. But - since we flooded our old cat 5 telephone wiring (all originally wired as "home runs") with wired ethernet connections - we don't need it.

As more and more people use their internet connections for video and similar - the higher speeds become more important. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or