U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 05:01 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,270,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Since this is no longer on the retirement forum, I'll do a little longer and more technical explanation.

There is nothing inherently more faulty or risky about upgrading an OS vs. a format and clean install. I've done it dozens of times without an issue. I've imaged and upgraded hundreds of PCs in corporate environments from XP > 7 and probably several dozen from 7 > 10.

When I built my current computer, I literally stuck in a Windows 8 bootable USB stick and got it started, then went to the grocery store and came back and the computer was ready for use. It was painless and uneventful as could be.
Perhaps upgrading operating systems has been perfected. The last time I did it was before Windows XP. From Windows what to Windows what I can't remember. It was a big mess. Haven't tried to do it since then. I honestly can't see a big reason to upgrade operating systems. Unless you're stuck with a total dog. In which case you're more likely to downgrade than upgrade.

Even if there isn't a problem with upgrading operating systems per se - there can be hardware issues. No way my 7 or so year old Thinkpad - as state of the art as it was when I bought it - could handle Windows 10 very well (if at all)

Quote:
Back in the Windows XP days, I'd have to have driver (basically controller) software for virtually every peripheral in the PC. I'd have to have my motherboard's disk for network drivers and install those once Windows loaded, then manually download software for each component. It was really for hobbyists only and building a PC today is basically an hour or so of screwing parts together in the case and starting the OS install - the OS can basically handle it from there for a conventional build the average senior would want. If you have sophisticated needs or unusual items connected to your PC, then yes, you'll have to do some independent work, but the folks in that situation are generally technical and know what they need to do.

Problems generally come from older peripherals where the various vendors have not updated drivers to run on the newest operating system. This sound card was an absolute dream years ago and I still haven't personally heard an integrated card that can deliver such rich stereo sound. I got one of these in high school - it came in 2002, and driver support now would be long gone. If you had this in a new build for Windows 10, I'm sure it would be problematic.

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-.../dp/B000063WQ0
I think most people are going to have some old peripherals they'll want to use with a new system. In my case - it was 2 printers and a Bluetooth speaker. The new printer (only about 3 months old) installed automatically (I think - I haven't checked it out 100% yet for things like its scan function). The older one - a HP multi-function laser jet which first came out about 5 years ago (I've had it for maybe 4 years) - did not install automatically in terms of anything other than printing. It pretty much came down to the fact that the automatic installer was too dumb to look for the right drivers - and just installed a generic driver. Once I found the exact driver for this printer (on line - but I had it on disk too) - and installed it - everything worked.

Now when it came to the Bluetooth speaker - a Bose Mini Soundlink that's only a couple of years old - it basically didn't work with the Bluetooth driver installed on my computer. I called Bose support - and it was worthless. Lenovo support did something I never would have thought of doing. Installing a suite of Qualcomm Bluetooth drivers (after it took control of my machine). Which somehow did the trick - even though my Bluetooth is Intel - not Qualcomm. I don't care why it works - it works - and I'll take it .

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you could find some driver somewhere that would work on your 2002 sound card with Windows 10. Although it might take a lot of hunting on questionable websites. I'd put the chances at maybe 10%. On my part - I've always thought that speakers were more important than sound cards (although I have both). I am perfectly happy with my little Bose for the listening I do in my home office (although it wouldn't work for watching movies with surround sound).

Quote:
If your computer can run Windows 7 it can run Windows 10...
I don't agree with that at all. My Windows XP Thinkpad - which I bought in 2009 - originally came with Windows 7 (although I downgraded to XP). I'd bet you a buck that even if it allowed a Windows 10 install - Windows 10 would perform miserably on it.

Quote:
As always, I'd back up anything that is absolutely critical (tax documents, business documents, family pictures, etc.) to some sort of off-site cloud storage, and anything on internal drives to an external USB drive...at a minimum, before disrupting the OS on any existing PC.
I back up everything on a regular automated basis with an external hard drive. Just bought a couple of these for my new computer (I have 2 old ones running on a Windows XP Thinkpad - there are 2 programs I need that simply won't work on anything later than Windows XP):

Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB External USB 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive Black STDR1000100 - Best Buy

FWIW - I don't like cloud based backups. Perhaps for pictures. Not for any financial or similar data. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:52 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,092,133 times
No Win10 for me. They have completely removed any user control from their upgrade cycle. When and if I am forced to stop using Win7, I'll be moving to some version of Linux.

The ultimate goal of Win10 is to move to an app-based structure. So instead of providing all the things that normally go along with an OS, they will make you start paying for every little thing. When my son upgraded to Win10, they removed the JPG viewer that used to come with all other versions of Windows. I had to go hunt it up and reinstall it - otherwise the OS kept popping up a "sales" pitch trying to get him to BUY software to replace it. I had to hunt up a method to put a stop to that as well. The thing still crashes occasionally on him for no apparent reason - it was worse before I tuned it up for him. Win 7 almost never crashed for either of us. In fact I can't remember the last time I got a BSOD running Win 7.

Win 10 - not the same critter at all and it shall never darken any hard drive of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or