U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 03:28 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,201,548 times

Advertisements

Below are links for useful windows 10 security and setting information

https://www.wired.com/2015/08/window...ngs-need-know/

A guide to Windows 10 security settings | The Download Blog - CNET Download.com

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...ivacy-settings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 03:29 PM

5,547 posts, read 3,613,277 times
I agree that the Apple products - Macbook (laptop) and iMac desktop - are worlds better than PC's and Windows.

The Macbook never crashes and never has other problems.

Before I obtained the Macbook 2 years ago, I had no idea how worlds better the Apple products are.

I was having all kinds of functionality problems with a PC desktop and the problems were intractable and frequent. And predecessor PC's too.

Would never switch away from Apple products now.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM

15,065 posts, read 8,096,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Plus...underneath it's UNIX. If you know Linux, you know what I mean.

7 desktop Macs, 2 MacBooks, 4 iPads. And we use them all.

(I almost forgot: 1 lonely Dell running Windows 7.)
It's just a tool. Corporate IT knows how to administer Microsoft and all the corporate stuff I use assumes Microsoft. If I have a problem, I launch TeamViewer, send an email, and somebody remotes into my machine and sorts it out. If I insisted on a Mac or Linux, I'd be stuck doing it all the administration stuff myself and having to figure out how to do all the corporate things myself that use home brew tools that aren't supported on a Mac or Linux.

If I need Linux, I just telnet to a host on the corporate network. I don't do that very often these days.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:39 PM

4,791 posts, read 4,720,436 times
[mod note: Try to keep the posts somewhat related to retirement/retirees/seniors. Otherwise the thread will have to be locked, moved to a technical forum, or deleted in its entirety. It's been a useful, helpful, respectful discussion so far, and I have participated myself, but we need to keep it related to this specific forum, (i.e., retirement).]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-08-2016, 03:40 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,249,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have been through the Windows Wars. From MS-DOS, Win 95, Win 97, Vista, Win7, Win 10.

I did upgrade my present machine from Win 7 to Win 10. For my use (MS Office, Email, chats, basic games, etc.) I did not find Win 10 to be superior and the fact that I would have a learning curve with nothing added, I reverted back to Win 7 which I understand.

Eventually I expect I will go back to Win 10 when I have the time to learn it but until then, I am happy with Win 7.
I found the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10 surprisingly easy. The only thing I'm having a few learning curve issues with is the change from Outlook Express (how long has that been obsolete?) to Outlook. FWIW - I don't know how good Windows 7 or 8 were. If they were solid - and I was still using one of them on a computer I liked - I'd probably continue to hold on to them. OTOH - I wouldn't buy a new computer and have an old version of Windows installed on it unless I had an excellent reason to do so.* And a little learning curve isn't one of them. Because none of us will be any younger when we're forced to upgrade from something like Windows 7 - like I was forced to when it came to my Windows XP. Robyn

*When I bought the laptop I just replaced - it came with Windows 7 - and I "downgraded" to Windows XP. Because one of the most important programs I use - a market charting program - wouldn't run on Windows 7.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:51 PM

9,539 posts, read 8,222,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
For those of us who just surf the internet, or throw together a spreadsheet or word document, that price probably drops to $500-600 these days.
For basics like you say, the cost can even be less:

HP Laptop 14 Screen Intel Celeron 2GB Memory 32GB Solid State Drive Windows 10 Home by Office Depot & OfficeMax

Old 08-08-2016, 04:00 PM

5,547 posts, read 3,613,277 times
Robyn55, I do love Microsoft Outlook for email. I purchase the fairly new Microsoft Office 365 yearly ($65 or $70) which includes the Microsoft Outlook product for email.

(plus Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Powerpoint are all included in Microsoft Office 365 - none of which I use except for occasionally Word. But one has to purchase Microsoft Office 365 to access Microsoft Outlook for email)

I run this, by the way, on my Macbook, rather than a PC. It works on both.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...160808210217:s

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...oryID.68021500

Old 08-08-2016, 04:06 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,484,527 times
Before my dad died he switched to Linux and said goodbye to Windows. Of course, he was a true geek.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:10 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,249,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Windows 8 was quite a change and I still hate it. When I bought it, I couldn't run my almost new printer. I still can't print from a web page. I wouldn't upgrade any higher than 7, unless they put a gun to your head.
I think the problem is too many people - including many seniors - aren't tech savvy enough to do anything other than press the "automatic" button when it comes to installing peripherals - including printers. That's why I've recommended getting the best possible tech support when we buy things. Especially when we're retired - we have tons of time to talk with lots of people on the phone .

I can tell you that in my case - I spent over an hour on the phone with Lenovo tech support to get the right drivers installed to power my Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth speaker. FWIW - Bose tech support was worthless in terms of solving the problem. And - although I was surprised that Lenovo helped me with my Bose speaker - I'll take it . FWIW - the Lenovo tech support person I spoke with was 22 - and he thought it was kind of cool that someone my age - old enough to be his grandmother - had a Bluetooth speaker. And I thought it was kind of cool that he liked Jim Croce (that's the Pandora station I was playing when we were testing the speaker). My impression - and it could be wrong - is really young people find us older people who are interested in getting all their stuff working are interesting. And - if we're willing to learn - they're willing to take some time to teach us.

When it comes to your printer - at least if it's an HP - I would bet a lot of money that you simply don't have the right drivers installed. When I tried to connect the older of my 2 printers - a 4-5 year old multi-function HP Laserjet - to the new system using the "automatic" function - it installed the dumbest possible "all purpose" drivers. So I couldn't scan. When I found and installed the full set of drivers for my particular printer - everything worked.

I realize you've had some unfortunate personal issues that have kept you busy recently. But one day when you have some spare time - say a couple of hours - try to locate the proper drivers for your printer and install them (they may even be on your original printer installation disk if you can find it). If you have access to phone support for your printer - try to use that too if necessary. Robyn

Old 08-08-2016, 04:15 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,201,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
For laptops, I strongly recommend getting one with solid state drive (hard drives are not robust enough for high probability of dropping - important for senior citizens).

2gb of memory is quite inadequate. Media rich internet surfing requires a lot of memory. I'd think 4gb is the minimum, preferably 8gb memory

32gb storage is also very limited and don't allow much room for loading programs let alone storing pictures, videos etc. I'd suggest at least 80gb and use SD card to store files (64gb SD cards cost about $30).

I stick with my recommendation to get Lenovo laptops for reliability. I got a refurbished T430 last year with 8gb memory and 160gb solid state drive for something like $350 (it was on sale) with a free extended 1 year warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or