U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:59 PM

7,426 posts, read 4,097,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
FYI if anyone has a slow pc or laptop (startup time, program load times), get your hard drive upgraded to a solid state drive (SSD). It gives new life to a slow machine for less than $100 ($40 gets you 120GB SSD) and you can clone your old drive so you don't lose anything. I did this for my mom and it saved her from feeling like needing a new $400+ machine altogether.

As for the OS, WIN7 or WIN10 are fine.
So a tech will change out a hard drive to SSD for less than $100, including the cost of the parts? And clone the old drive? All for less than $100?

Somehow I don't think that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 12:05 AM

7,426 posts, read 4,097,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When my last Windows 10 laptop battery failed to hold a charge, I decided to go to an I-Pad, something I have resisted for many years. Now I'm so sold on it that I upgraded to an I-Phone also, and they keep in sync with each other.
Well, a laptop and a tablet are two different animals. I've owned a number of pcs, incl laptops, over the years. Never a tablet...because it doesn't do what a computer does. And it isn't intended to. If all you need can be done on a tablet, then there's no reason to get more complicated and buy a computer.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:23 AM

627 posts, read 391,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
OH BS! if you don't know how to protect your computer using any OS, perhaps you shouldn't be online.
I have a high end computer that I built myself, using some of the latest hardware, running close to 5GHZ on air, BUT it still uses XP! Why? simple,--- I have 2 joysticks, one a micro$oft, neither will work on 7, or 10. I have a nice gaming steering wheel, and foot pedals, it will not work with 7, or 10. I have 4 other gaming, or control devices, they will not work with 7, or 10. I spent a lot of money to buy the *FULL* version of micro$oft office a few years ago, it will not work with 7, or 10. I have a printer that I have total control over, and can refill ink at a fraction of new cartridges cost, it and 3 others will not work on 7, or 10. I have an old full sized scanner that can convert old negatives to color photos, as well as 2 portables, and a wand, they will not work on 7, or 10. I have spent hundreds of dollars on games over the years, some of which I still like to pull out, and play again, I can not on 7, or 10. I have tons of software, and aps that I have acquired, or paid for over the years that are still useful, and viable today, yet they will not work with 7, or 10. True, I have other desktops, and laptops with windows 7 that I *PAID* for, but when I want to have fun, or be productive, I firer up my state of the art XP machine.
So tell me, how is 10, sooo-- "very much better than anything before it."
Face it, Bill Gates cast a line, and many of you *bought* it, hook, line, and sinker.

Well, if they need wireless support outside the home while traveling, then XP is too painful to consider.

You're correct about legacy drivers and software. If you have devices that require legacy drivers, then XP is what you have to use.
Perhaps someone is going to mention putting XP in a virtual machine, but I can't see that being a real option in this forum, and it's especially not optimal for gaming.

But otherwise, this is the retirement forum, and Windows 10's built in security, backup, ease of access features, and other features makes it a superior choice for seniors when compared to Windows XP.
Compared to Windows 7, it's not that much of an upgrade except for some of the corporate features, but those are irrelevant in this forum.
Windows 10 Edge no longer supports ActiveX controls, and that's a good thing.

Well, there's Win 10's UEFI support. Installing windows 7 for UEFI support is do-able, but not an option for the typical user.

Keeping XP safe online is simply not an option for other than expert-level computer savvy people, and that's not a typical person, much less a typical retiree. Internet Explorer cannot be upgraded past IE 8 on XP. No one should use IE8 if they're going to do online banking, and more and more sites won't allow older browsers anyway.

Quote:
OH BS! if you don't know how to protect your computer using any OS, perhaps you shouldn't be online.
That's just wrong.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:51 AM

1,241 posts, read 698,052 times
I probably shouldn't be on this computer online. I don't know enough.

Actually, we don't upgrade simply because I don't think this computer will support it, it's too old. And until I don't need these business programs I use, I'll keep this one going.

I don't think this whole computer world is friendly to the older generation. I put the whole computer world in the same boat as the government regulatory people. Their job is to create more regulations, regardless if it makes life miserable for those of us trying to comply with it all. Computer companies are in the business of selling new, better, more all the time. Not simpler, easier, safer, sustainable things that don't go out of use every so often.

And I never got the trend that smaller is better. I had someone come try to sell me advertising one time and he had some sort of tablet, I couldn't even read the ads and screens he was trying to sell. How many times I've read a forum post where someone said "the auto correct put in the wrong word" or "it's hard to reply much on this phone".

I often feel that I don't fit into this new world any more.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:04 AM

10,604 posts, read 9,047,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
[mod note: Try to keep the posts somewhat related to retirement/retirees/seniors. Otherwise the thread will have to be locked, moved to a technical forum, or deleted in its entirety. It's been a useful, helpful, respectful discussion so far, and I have participated myself, but we need to keep it related to this specific forum, (i.e., retirement).]

Old 08-09-2016, 02:47 AM

7,450 posts, read 4,130,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Mac's are better than PCs, if you are old and having trouble remembering the myriad of windows component names that changed so much with Windows 10. Bring back DOS!
Here's a question I've had for years...PC is short for "personal computer," right? And a Mac is a personal computer, right? So how can a Mac be better than a PC?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:08 AM

4,791 posts, read 4,720,436 times
[mod note: Thread had devolved into a general discussion about personal computers and is no longer directly applicable to Retirement and seniors. Thread is being moved to the Science and Technology/Computers forum. The thread will remain open there with a redirect from its original location in the Retirement forum.]

-

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 08-09-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 AM

1,241 posts, read 698,052 times
Well, that's too bad. I do think technology in a rapidly changing world is relevant to the oldest generation, many of whom have trouble keeping up. Here's a question: there are many industries who have adapted products and services to older folks (yes I used the word) and made other products for us. Why not the technology industry?

Old 08-09-2016, 03:13 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,249,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I have had a Chromebook for a year and a half now. 99.9% of computer nonsense is over with for me. At this time I'll never buy anything but a Chromebook. The only thing I don't like about it is it requires WiFi and I have to go through a unplug, wait, and plug in again ritual regularly with the WiFi.
You *can* hook up a Chromebook to a wired ethernet connection (assuming you have one available). You just need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Robyn

P.S. My husband's using it on his Chromebook.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:32 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,249,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I do high tech for a living. I finally moved off WinXP Pro 3 1/2 years ago. I had a Win 7 laptop that died last March and I've been on Win 10 since.

The amazing thing to me is how prices have dropped on laptops that have the capabilities I need to do my job. A $1,000 laptop is just fine. 8 or 9 years ago, that was a $3,000 laptop.
My whole system cost about $1400 - and included at least $300 of options other people might not want (permanent MSFT Office License - extended in-home warranty - etc.). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or