Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:08 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've never been a big fan of upgrading operating systems on older computers. Even relatively new older computers. Have never had good luck doing it the couple of times I tried (and the last time I tried was probably a decade ago). I think - in general - that the older hardware simply can't "digest"/handle the new software. Robyn
Yup, yup and yup. I had that problem with my older XP computer when I tried to upgrade and it all crashed. Called the manufacturer and they said that older computers often hardware that wouldn't work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I went to Apple years ago and never looked back. I'm into photography and wanted a good basic desktop that had reliable stability. I use an eight yr old iMac with the latest OS, it has never crashed, works every day, unlike my PC's of the past.
Yes, I now use a MacBook pro and I like it better than windows machines. My wife still uses our desktop PC and I expect I'll be buying her a new one soon if I cannot convince her to go Apple

Old 08-08-2016, 01:15 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Only after they've installed their digital TV converter box.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:17 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
My rotary phone still works well...

Old 08-08-2016, 01:28 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
Windows 10 sucks, all the more recent Windows do! I'm moving from XP to a new Mac, because Microsoft just doesn't seem to be able to keep me happy anymore! I'll have to learn to use a new system and that will be hard, but at least I'll be done with Windows and Microsoft.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
To make it easier for a new user to use Windows 10, is to upload the following link.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

It brings back the start button controls of the past. It makes 10 much easier for users to use, and still you have the advantages of Windows 10 but handles as easy as the older windows. We did this to all 5 of the computers in our house.

One a dedicated computer used to stream movies and other things to our big flat screen TV. A second one dedicated for guests to use for streaming to a large flat screen.

Third one is my wife's, which I replaced her monitor with a 32 inch TV, which she swears is the only way to go.

Fourth is my all in one. The fifth one is my professional ThinkPad.

My wife falls into the elderly category (we have been married 64 years next month) at 86 years old. She hated 10 when I first upgraded it before I installed Classic Shell, but now she says there is no learning curve. The advantages of 10 with the speed of 10, and operates like she was used to under 7.

Advantage of windows 10 with Classic Shell addition, is it works faster, better and no real learning curve to bother the user. If you don't like it, you can uninstall it. I know a lot of people that are using it. I was in a big office that had gone to 10 and they were fighting it. Got them to install it on one computer to try it. They did, and within 2 hours had converted them all with Shell Classic, and they suddenly loved 10.

Big Advantage---It is FREE.

Last edited by oldtrader; 08-08-2016 at 01:47 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 01:54 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Anyone still using XP needs to stop immediately! Microsoft stopped supporting it over 2 years ago. It was a superb OS, but it's very vulnerable to hacks now. If you haven't upgraded to Windows 10 already, you missed the free upgrade period that ended July 31st.
After a short learning curve, 10 is very much better than anything before it.

I downloaded a program that made my XP look like Win8.1 to Microsoft -- so I continued to get all the Win8.1 updates. Sure, some of them didnt apply to XP but most of them did. I'd still be using XP -- and I kept that computer for future use -- but I came across some programs that worked better with Win8.1 so I bought a new computer with that.

I do not intend to download Win10. If it were really so good, Microsoft wouldnt have tried so hard to force it on us.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
When my last Windows 10 laptop battery failed to hold a charge, I decided to go to an I-Pad, something I have resisted for many years. Now I'm so sold on it that I upgraded to an I-Phone also, and they keep in sync with each other.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:03 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,577 times
I've worked with my and others peoples computers since the mid 90's. Since the OP has already purchased a computer with Windows 10. The best thing you can do now is get a firewall. My suggestion is installing AVAST. What ever you do - stay away from NORTON...

• The "Windows 10 Big Advantage---It is FREE"..... think about it... The applications that come installed tend to "phone home" with your computer use and your surfing habits. No doubt so they can sell your information to third party's.
  • Windows 8 - is a very secure operating system, but the major problem it takes forever to boot. Loading countless programs using up the ram. So when you open up more than a few programs. The computer slows down, if not locks up.
  • My favorite operating system is Windows 7. You can control what programs are running in the back ground.

Just last weekend was on a clients computer - her saying she could not opening up a PDF document. Within 30 seconds found the problem - with the Chrome browser. She left her connection open listening to music. The audio application used up all the memory on her hard drive. That being said - my suggestion for surfing the internet is installing Firefox. You can add "Add-On's" that prevent adds and pop-ups... Here's links for free downloads Simple Computer Care | PRO Business - Responsive Multi-Purpose Theme – Free Downloads

Good Luck

Old 08-08-2016, 02:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
...Worse, though, as someone with increasingly problematic eyesight, I sorely miss the ability of earlier Windows versions to completely customize visual settings...
Don't know exactly when that ability to customize completely disappeared - but it is certainly gone in Windows 10. For example - you can't customize the size of your desktop icons without affecting the display when you run programs. OTOH - although I somewhat unhappy with the way my desktop looks now - I am pretty happy with the way my programs look. Also - some of my programs have their own internal customizing options. But I haven't started fussing with those yet. And won't for a while. Want to work with the defaults for at least a couple of weeks - and see how I wind up liking them.

I will note that because this monitor is pretty big - you can make things bigger than you can on a laptop - without having the pages look stupid. This is a 24" monitor. And I think it is pretty close to perfect size for what I do - and my eyesight. Any bigger - and I think I would have problems with the outer parts of the monitor being within the range of my peripheral vision. Before I decided on the 24" monitor - I spent about 30 minutes at Best Buy working on different size monitors. And - if someone is thinking of changing from smaller to larger (or vice versa) - I suggest doing similar. A lot of us have various eyesight problems as we get older. And - what works for one of us won't necessarily work for all of us. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers