U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,112,969 times

Advertisements

I need a backup computer with Verizon connectivity for when my desktop or DSL go down.
How do I decide between a laptop and a tablet?
I'm a senior. I don't play games or want to watch movies on what I get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:29 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,755,421 times
What do you need to do on it? I don't think any laptops have cellular radios, so that leaves you with a tablet. You could always get a jet pack (portable hotspot) to connect the laptop to. Generally, you can do more with a laptop.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:43 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.foxfi&hl=en

I use this on my Galaxy 4 and Verizon wireless to connect my laptop to the Internet when needed. Slow, but usable.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,755,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.foxfi&hl=en

I use this on my Galaxy 4 and Verizon wireless to connect my laptop to the Internet when needed. Slow, but usable.
Why would you need that at all? Verizon allows tethering on their plans.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:29 AM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why would you need that at all? Verizon allows tethering on their plans.
Not on all of them.

We still have an ancient Alltel based plan that doesn't allow tethering (but does have truly unlimited data on three of our 4 lines).

I pay for tethering on one line, and use apps like FoxFi on the others when I occasionally need them.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:49 AM

10,424 posts, read 8,949,064 times
Laptop.... https://www.google.com/chromebook/ For basic everyday use these have a lot going for them. Simplicity, safety, and lower cost.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:26 AM

10,251 posts, read 5,698,999 times
If all you do is consume web content, I too recommend a chromebook.

I have the Acer Chromebook 13 and it runs on a single charge for the entire day. I think I paid $120 for it on sale. My son uses it for homework assignments as well. When out of the house, I have it tethered to my verizon phone via wifi hotspot.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:07 PM

I want something that will serve as a backup when my desktop or DSL go down. There is no Wi-fi available. I would like to be able to handle spreadsheets and word processing if necessary, but mostly it would be for Email and websites, like City-Data. It seems like a laptop would be better than a tablet, except for needing to connect to Verizon. Maybe the MS Surface is an option too, although Consumer Reports seems not to like it much, and it's expensive.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:04 PM

10,251 posts, read 5,698,999 times
Any chromebook, laptop or tablet can be connected to Verizon via hotspot or via any wifi proxy for the data cellphone service.

Any of the devices should access email assuming they are acessible via browser like outlook/hotmail.

ChromeO/S also has spreedsheets and word processor etc. My wife uses them for her work and they are accessible on our desktop, chromebook and her ipad since they are stored in cloud. My son's school also uses these applications for homework assignments. Create an account and try them out.

Cheap laptops are certainly an option but they will most likely not have a touch screen (like tablets and surface), short battery life, and bulkier. Of course all those limitations are solvable with more $$$.

Tablets tend to have smaller screens and no keyboard. Since I touch type, no keyboard is a no go. Small screens also make productivity work a bit uncomfortable on the eyes. I have the 12 inch Samsung tablet with a bluetooth keyboard case. Works great. But between the tablet and keyboard, the cost is already well into laptop territory.

As for CD-R, any device also can access; my phone, tablet, desktop and laptop. I'm actually typing this response on my chromebook.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:33 PM

It's not clear to me what I would need to connect a laptop to Verizon. Is there some kind of modem to do that? I do not have access to wi-fi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or