U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 07:48 AM

823 posts, read 1,324,919 times

Advertisements

OK, y'all, I just bought a laptop (1st), my previous was a desktop that was purchased ~ 2007 with Vista and I'm gonna need some guidance and help. Nothing is familiar so should I try and make this the same or similar to my old set-up or can I make it similar ? just the same old single clicks to get this CD forum off my homepage, favorites, etc. Heck, I can't even find notepad (normally I will type my comment on notepad and paste to comment, just becausethen I will re-read and evaluate etc). Miss my mouse, reckon I'll get one, screen view and distance is different and uncomfortable.

I figure it'll get better but I'm ready to trash it.

Got an Asus 4g 500 Pentium at bestbuy for $229 yesterday, have been reading comments here for a good while and it seems that a system this size would be fine for normal daily stuff.

There was no instruction or tutorial to get me more familiar; I need basic type laptop keyboard stuff for things as simple as making a block for bolding a phrase.

and I must add that luckily, I did stumble into CD where I know I can get some help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 08:08 AM

823 posts, read 1,324,919 times
now that I look around, it seems that I'm not the only one in this situation...

Old 08-11-2016, 08:09 AM

14,628 posts, read 18,265,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
OK, y'all, I just bought a laptop (1st), my previous was a desktop that was purchased ~ 2007 with Vista and I'm gonna need some guidance and help. Nothing is familiar so should I try and make this the same or similar to my old set-up or can I make it similar ? just the same old single clicks to get this CD forum off my homepage, favorites, etc. Heck, I can't even find notepad (normally I will type my comment on notepad and paste to comment, just becausethen I will re-read and evaluate etc). Miss my mouse, reckon I'll get one, screen view and distance is different and uncomfortable.

I figure it'll get better but I'm ready to trash it.

Got an Asus 4g 500 Pentium at bestbuy for $229 yesterday, have been reading comments here for a good while and it seems that a system this size would be fine for normal daily stuff.

There was no instruction or tutorial to get me more familiar; I need basic type laptop keyboard stuff for things as simple as making a block for bolding a phrase.

and I must add that luckily, I did stumble into CD where I know I can get some help...
First thing to do is get a mouse or install your old one if it will work on your new system. Robyn

Old 08-11-2016, 09:12 AM

11,835 posts, read 13,971,314 times
1st: Click the Search box. I assume you've already said NO to Cortana. Click the gear icon. Turn off A) Cortana B) Search Online and include web results.

2nd: Click the start button, and then right click all the tiles that pop up on the right hand side. Start RIGHT Clicking them and choose UNPIN UNPIN.... do this until they are all gone. Then point to the edge of the now empty pane until your cursor becomes the 2 headed arrow resize cursor. Pull that edge to the left to eliminate it.

Next: Right click the lower tool bar and in the menu that pops up go to SEARCH and choose: Show Search Icon. Right click again and uncheck SHOW TASK VIEW BUTTON.

Click the magnifying glass and type START. Click START SETTINGS. These are optional but from someone who has done this over 45 times now, I recommend: turn off SHOW SUGGESTIONS. Turn or leave on SHOW MOST USED, SHOW RECENTLY ADDED, SHOW RECENTLY OPENED should be on. All else off.

Next on that same window you will see some text at the bottom: CHOOSE WHICH FOLDERS APPEAR ON START. Go there. Do that. Make your choices. Close that.

*Note you no longer need to hit APPLY and OK to make changes stick. They just stick.

Go back to the magnifying glass and type: DESKTOP ICONS. You will see a choice for SHOW OR HIDE COMMON ICONS. GO there. Choose. I recommend all except Network.

And finally: Have you noticed a pattern here? USE THE SEARCH TOOL. I have been on Win10 for a year now and I use it DAILY. Can't find something? Start typing there.

NOTEP...there's Notepad
WOR...usually MS Word
EXC....Excel
MOUS.... Mouse Settings
SLEE.... Sleep settings
UPDAT... Windows Update Settings
Try it. It's neat.

Final tip: Type NOTEP...Notepad will come up. RIGHT CLICK and PIN TO TASKBAR.

I really need to finish my Win10 install guide.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:30 PM

39,931 posts, read 57,770,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
1st: Click the Search box. I assume you've already said NO to Cortana. Click the gear icon. Turn off A) Cortana B) Search Online and include web results.

2nd: Click the start button, and then right click all the tiles that pop up on the right hand side. Start RIGHT Clicking them and choose UNPIN UNPIN.... do this until they are all gone. Then point to the edge of the now empty pane until your cursor becomes the 2 headed arrow resize cursor. Pull that edge to the left to eliminate it.

Next: Right click the lower tool bar and in the menu that pops up go to SEARCH and choose: Show Search Icon. Right click again and uncheck SHOW TASK VIEW BUTTON.

Click the magnifying glass and type START. Click START SETTINGS. These are optional but from someone who has done this over 45 times now, I recommend: turn off SHOW SUGGESTIONS. Turn or leave on SHOW MOST USED, SHOW RECENTLY ADDED, SHOW RECENTLY OPENED should be on. All else off.

Next on that same window you will see some text at the bottom: CHOOSE WHICH FOLDERS APPEAR ON START. Go there. Do that. Make your choices. Close that.

*Note you no longer need to hit APPLY and OK to make changes stick. They just stick.

Go back to the magnifying glass and type: DESKTOP ICONS. You will see a choice for SHOW OR HIDE COMMON ICONS. GO there. Choose. I recommend all except Network.

And finally: Have you noticed a pattern here? USE THE SEARCH TOOL. I have been on Win10 for a year now and I use it DAILY. Can't find something? Start typing there.

NOTEP...there's Notepad
WOR...usually MS Word
EXC....Excel
MOUS.... Mouse Settings
SLEE.... Sleep settings
UPDAT... Windows Update Settings
Try it. It's neat.

Final tip: Type NOTEP...Notepad will come up. RIGHT CLICK and PIN TO TASKBAR.

I really need to finish my Win10 install guide.
Just followed every step of your guide! My start screen looks normal now!
THANK YOU!
(waiting for the rest of your guide!)
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:48 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
I just copied the post and put it in Notepad. I'm trying to decide of I should label it Chapter One.

It's interesting that I've been doing this as a hobby and a business for over 30 years and I still find amazingly good information from people on forums.

Thanks Peregrine! Repped...

Old 08-21-2016, 07:16 PM

Glad to help.
I've been out of town. I'll finish and post it in a new thread this week.
No, Tek. Not Chapter 1. Part 2 is pretty short. Lol

Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 PM

966 posts, read 1,219,010 times
That was a great user-guide, Peregrine. You are a great teacher.
Thanks. I made a copy too.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 AM

Thanks! I did start a second thread with more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or