U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 07:00 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

Don't agree with the recommendation for CCleaner - it's mostly a "registry cleaner" and few people need to do it.

You are better off using the built in windows tools, disk cleanup to gain more space, and the optimizer/defragmenter.
CCleaner finds a lot more stuff that can be removed than Windows especially for non MS applications. Plus you can clean everything in one shot, e.g. temp files for every browser installed.

Try it, run Windows disk cleanup and then run CCleaner.

Avoid the registry "cleaner" unless you know what you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
(can you reinstall Movie Maker?)
Forgot to mention this, you can repair Movie Maker from the add/remove Window.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:13 PM

4,568 posts, read 3,920,908 times
I want to thank everyone for answers. I always welcome more.

I am really starting to think something with the computer itself is the issue, and that's why my programs are malfunctioning. Because I don't think it's a coincidence that ALL of these things have some kind of glitch with them. And a new glitch just popped up today. lol

It could very well be that I have too much space taken up. So I will try deleting some files that are most likely consuming a lot of space, that I am not using. If that doesn't work, then I will try the other cleanings and see.

In the past, my method for cleaning was to reset the entire computer to it's original factory image, which deletes everything. And sometimes it worked, but it's not practical, being the computer will be severely out of date then, which leads to having to reinstall over 400 updates.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
A post I made re Ccleaner

http://www.city-data.com/forum/45137151-post10.html

Old 08-16-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I am really starting to think something with the computer itself is the issue, and that's why my programs are malfunctioning. Because I don't think it's a coincidence that ALL of these things have some kind of glitch with them. And a new glitch just popped up today. lol
A full drive can cause all kinds of problems, I don't know what the threshold is but you will get warning at some point. With the video files since they are so huge you won't get a system warning unless the program looks. It's very difficult to say how much space you would need but if you have less than say 4 or 5 GB that's probably not enough and you likely need much more that that.

Quote:

In the past, my method for cleaning was to reset the entire computer to it's original factory image, which deletes everything. And sometimes it worked, but it's not practical, being the computer will be severely out of date then, which leads to having to reinstall over 400 updates.
When you do this what you can do is install all the updates and then install all your other software, then create a disk image. Windows has this feature built in, it'san exact copy of the drive. If you ever need to reinstall Windows you do it from the image.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:03 PM

It's been a while so I'm probably not one to give advice, but what about the page/swap file?

Old 08-16-2016, 10:43 PM

4,568 posts, read 3,920,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A full drive can cause all kinds of problems, I don't know what the threshold is but you will get warning at some point. With the video files since they are so huge you won't get a system warning unless the program looks. It's very difficult to say how much space you would need but if you have less than say 4 or 5 GB that's probably not enough and you likely need much more that that.
I may have gotten a warning in the past. I do recall a popup. But it's been a min. I think it mentioned memory, but I didn't pay attention because it seemed like I had plenty.

Here's the pic for the space I am working with at present.

May be a bit more later. I have been cleaning off some old files that I wasn't, or will not use. And so far, I have gotten rid of 111.

Looking, here's more info on the Comp. On the tag on the side of Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
AMD Athlon II X2 220 dual core processior
500GB Hard Drive
2GB DDR3 Menory
Multi-in-One Media Card Reader

Last edited by HappyRain; 08-16-2016 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 11:01 PM

2GB RAM seems slim

Old 08-17-2016, 05:14 AM

4,241 posts, read 12,760,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
2GB RAM seems slim
I didn't even think about RAM when trying to offer the OP some solutions. Wonder how much is used when working with Movie Maker (etc.) projects?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Here's the pic for the space I am working with at present.
That's plenty, your problem is elsewhere. If you right click the drive and select properties on the general tab next to "file system" does it say NTFS or FAT32?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers