U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 PM

4,568 posts, read 3,923,204 times

Advertisements

I would guess this goes here. It's lengthy because I wanted to include everything I could think of when asking for help, that way everyone would have the info up front.

I use Windows 7. And I have owned the computer a short while. around 7 years. And a few things are malfunctioning on it in the past year, and all in the same way. They are

Windows DVD Maker -came installed with the computer
Windows Movie Maker -Same as above
Video Converter Ultimate - Personally installed by myself around 2013 or 2014.

All of these used to work perfectly. Now all of them have the issue of not wanting to complete projects. They will all get half-way done, then just stop and abort the entire process. And I am assuming it may be the computer for all of these different things to have the same problem. The DVD maker had been doing it off and on since 2014. But this year, it has gotten worse and intolerable. The Movie maker started to malfunction 2015. And the VC lost it this year.

With the Former 2, I am on my own, and at a loss. They come with the computer. So I find it hard to think updating the computer would hurt them.

Here's the basic layout of the DVD maker.
Spoiler

And here's what's happening as of late. I have seen this so much, I have dreams about it. lol
Spoiler

And sometimes I get the standard message "Burner Not Found"

The Movie Maker
Spoiler

I don't know anything about drivers, but when I go to devices / drivers, I always read that everything is working correctly. But something is apparently off. I figured it may just be the DVD make, personallyr. So I decided to pay and order a new one for download on my computer. The free trial version worked fine. But when I finally purchased the product, BAM, same exact issue as my original maker. Won't complete a burn. So it's apparently not the DVD maker. And I don't think it's the discs, because I have tried different types with the same issue. I used different brands of DVD+RW because they can be reused. I also used DVD-R and DVD+R. All have the same problem.

So is Windows 7 just becoming obsolete with everything and I need a new computer, and operating system? Do I just need to take my comp. and have it looked at professionally? I am at a loss. because quite a few things are malfunctioning. And they're all things I frequently like to use and need.

Last edited by HappyRain; 08-13-2016 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 05:49 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,461,975 times
First guess, bad DVD drive. Buy a new USB one ($25+-) and use it instead of the internal one.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
First guess, bad DVD drive. Buy a new USB one ($25+-) and use it instead of the internal one.
This would be my guess as well.

The other thought (less likely though) would be do you have enough free space on the hard drive. I've had some video programs (transcoding and burning) fail when there wasn't enough space on the disk to write the temp files.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:22 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,766,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The other thought (less likely though) would be do you have enough free space on the hard drive. I've had some video programs (transcoding and burning) fail when there wasn't enough space on the disk to write the temp files.
This is what happened to me, only I didn't know it was the problem. I could create the project and save it, but during the final rendering process it would hang. Sometime I'd get all sorts of strange messages, but most times I got no message at all.

I have both Windows DVD Maker and Movie Maker, and the "hang" problem occurred with both. OS Win 7 64bit.

My computer guru fixed the problem. I wish I knew how, but he said that even though there appeared to be tons of space on my drive for creating projects, the space was too fragmented. Perhaps he did something like a Defrag to consolidate the empty spaces?

Today I use Windows Movie Maker without issue.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 PM

4,568 posts, read 3,923,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
This is what happened to me, only I didn't know it was the problem. I could create the project and save it, but during the final rendering process it would hang. Sometime I'd get all sorts of strange messages, but most times I got no message at all.

I have both Windows DVD Maker and Movie Maker, and the "hang" problem occurred with both. OS Win 7 64bit.

My computer guru fixed the problem. I wish I knew how, but he said that even though there appeared to be tons of space on my drive for creating projects, the space was too fragmented. Perhaps he did something like a Defrag to consolidate the empty spaces?

Today I use Windows Movie Maker without issue.
Well with my Movie Maker, it basically drops the files. You have the film, or different vid files, and the source has not be lost. But somehow the Maker will lose the files, even though the source file has not been touched. And because the file was dropped mid-save, it never finishes. I have to close the Maker, then reopen it, and bam, the files are all back. But if the vid is loading and it takes longer than 20 min. The files will get dropped during the save, and so I have a longer project that I spent time putting together, but can not save.

Did your's do this?

Also, I want to thank the answers. I wish I had come here 1st to get some suggestions before listening to the advice on the other site.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:30 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,600,178 times
Run Ccleaner first
Run Defraggler

Click the green icon at top right of each page and be patient. Don't click any other "download this" buttons. I've been fooled on occasion by that. Grrrr. Filehippo is very safe I use it for pretty much everything I download and have for years.

If you've not done either type of clean up before it might a while - a long while.

Edit: How long has it been since you checked the start up and installed files? Ccleaner Tools menu will show them to you and allow you to disable/uninstall any that you don't need. It will also let you copy the list to a text file if you want to post it here for advice.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:53 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,808,108 times
Movie Maker as with any video editor does not touch the source files unless you explicitly save it as same file. As you are working on your project save as project file or whatever they refer to it as. This is just small file that saves what work you have done, it does not include the source files. You can open this and continue your edits later or if it crashes trying to render the project you can always open it up back up.

As others have suggested try cleaning up the drive. CCleaner works better but windows has it's own disk cleanup. Right click C: and select properties, on the general tab select disk cleanup. Once that has completed right click C: and select properties again. On the tools tab select optimize drive.

Right click C: and properties again, note how much drive space you have. You'll need many gigabytes for rendering video projects, 20 or 30 is safe number but it could be a lot less.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:54 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,702,654 times
you could have any of several problems:

- defective memory
- too little memory
- too many programs running in background
- fragmented hdd

Don't agree with the recommendation for CCleaner - it's mostly a "registry cleaner" and few people need to do it.

You are better off using the built in windows tools, disk cleanup to gain more space, and the optimizer/defragmenter.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:10 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,600,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
you could have any of several problems:

- defective memory
- too little memory
- too many programs running in background
- fragmented hdd

Don't agree with the recommendation for CCleaner - it's mostly a "registry cleaner" and few people need to do it.

You are better off using the built in windows tools, disk cleanup to gain more space, and the optimizer/defragmenter.
Completely incorrect information. You obviously don't know how to run Ccleaner.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:59 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,766,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Well with my Movie Maker, it basically drops the files. You have the film, or different vid files, and the source has not be lost. But somehow the Maker will lose the files, even though the source file has not been touched. And because the file was dropped mid-save, it never finishes. I have to close the Maker, then reopen it, and bam, the files are all back. But if the vid is loading and it takes longer than 20 min. The files will get dropped during the save, and so I have a longer project that I spent time putting together, but can not save.

Did your's do this?

Also, I want to thank the answers. I wish I had come here 1st to get some suggestions before listening to the advice on the other site.
I didn't have this problem - sorry to hear you are! Losing files sounds like either a software glitch (can you reinstall Movie Maker?) or some kind of conflict, as if Movie Maker is trying to do its job, but something is running silently in the background and interferes.

If it's a conflict, and I'm not sure this would work, but maybe you could open Task Manager and watch what processes are running while you're working with Movie Maker. See if something unrelated to Movie Maker jumps and starts using more of your CPU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers