Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:53 PM

304 posts, read 397,189 times

Advertisements

Hi Group,

I am having the hardest time trying to get one or two of my Brand New David Bowie CD's to Play, when putting them into my Laptop.

I bought these online, from Amazon from U.S. vendors.

I have a brand new, top of the line HP Envoy Laptop running Windows 10.

When I put the CD into the laptop, some don't Autoplay.

I'll go into 'My PC', then look at the CD Drive, then look at the listed Files from the CD, and they show me the following.
CDPLUS, IMAGES, PICTURES, SOURCE, XTRAS, METSUPRO.

When I click on any of these, all I get is "No Media Available".

It just won't play the music.

Specifically, I just tried to listen to David Bowies, 'Scary Monsters', but this has happened to a few other recently purchased CD's of his.

What's going on here?

Can you help me get these to play on my PC?

(They DO play on my home Bose unit, and in my car).

I don't know what else to do here...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

CTwoodnutt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 04:57 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Have you tried to open the disks with a media player?

Old 08-15-2016, 06:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
What is the date on the CD? What title?

Old 08-15-2016, 06:30 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Could be a driver issue. Do any CD's play on your computer?

Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
sounds like you have a picture CD, since you did not find a folder labelled music. Windows has settings to turn autoplay on or off, but if this is only affecting one CD, then the settings are not the issue, the CD is.

Why not post a listing of everything in the root directory? Including files with the file extension, the part after the period.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
sounds like you have a picture CD,.
Those folders would be there because it may be what they called enhanced CD that can be used on PC, for some video, images etc.

The reason I asked what title and date is because it may also contain things that can prevent it from playing in PC. With both DVD's and CD's they were doing things out spec or borderline to try and stop copying, trouble is it's out spec and technically not a "CD".

Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Those folders would be there because it may be what they called enhanced CD that can be used on PC, for some video, images etc.

The reason I asked what title and date is because it may also contain things that can prevent it from playing in PC. With both DVD's and CD's they were doing things out spec or borderline to try and stop copying, trouble is it's out spec and technically not a "CD".
************************************************** **********************************
Hi Coalman,
The title is David Bowie, Scary Monsters, originally recorded in 1980, this CD was digitally remastered in1999.

One fellow said to look at all the files (for this CD(?) in my Root Directory...HOW do I do that?

This has happened with a few other Bowie CD's.

All other CD's that I have will play just fine.

What do you think?

CTwoodnutt

Old 08-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
sounds like you have a picture CD, since you did not find a folder labelled music. Windows has settings to turn autoplay on or off, but if this is only affecting one CD, then the settings are not the issue, the CD is.

Why not post a listing of everything in the root directory? Including files with the file extension, the part after the period.
************************************************** **********************************
Hi Bigbear,

No this is definitely a music CD, as it plays in my home CD player (Bose Acoustic Wave and in my car).

Just HOW do I look into my Root Directory for the files listed on this CD?

I did check whether Auto Play was checked, and it is.
All other CD's do play....(except for one or two other Bowie CD's, which is really strange, as once again, they do play in my home unit, car, and on a portable little CD player.

This is just Bizzare!

What do you think?

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt

Old 08-15-2016, 03:59 PM

These are all EMI CD's? Appears what you are running into especially considering that folder structure is copy protection and/or a disc out of spec. Does it actually have the CD logo on it? I suspect it doesn't.

Quote:
Defeating EMI Copy Controlled CD Nonsense

The "Compact Disc" logo is nowhere to be found on these - they can't legally put it on them because its not actually an audio CD, what it is is actually a deliberately badly manufactured 2-session CDROM with the audio data in the second session. This is based on the theory that most CD players will ignore the first session and catch the second session. This thinking is woolly, and it simply defeats a good number of audio CD players.
You're going to have to use program to rip the audio tracks and then you can burn normal CD. It appears the preferred program for this is called "Exact audio Copy". There maybe something else you can do, perhaps someone else will have different advice.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-15-2016 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 03:35 PM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Doesn't this window supposed to open for all media and devices so you can choose to play with "some media player" or view the photos in a folder, etc.
This is what we think we should see when a digital camera or CD / DVD inserted in the drive or the camera in the USB port.

What should the settings be.
Attached Thumbnails
CD doesn't play when inserted in PC ?-sshot-2011-01-10-04-32  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers