Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,880,663 times

Advertisements

So yesterday I was looking at laptops and noticed that virtually all of the good laptops, unfortunately, have a 4K resolution screen. I'm sorry, but this is overkill. Everything on the screen is SO TINY! I use Excel daily, and I couldn't believe how small the cells were. Even in the file explorer, all the folders and text are so tiny. Is there any way to remedy this?! I tried changing the resolution to a lower resolution, but it looks horrible, because it doesn't fit the native screen resolution. Do they make ANY 1080p screens on a medium/high end laptop these days? I don't want to be constantly squinting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 06:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,111,039 times
Back around 10 years ago, screen sizes were just about right at 1920 x 1200, like on my 2006 17" Dell E1705.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,186,555 times
The one in between full HD and UHD (4k) is WQHD which is 2560 x 1440. That is what I have for my computer monitor and it is perfect in a 28" monitor.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,065,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So yesterday I was looking at laptops and noticed that virtually all of the good laptops, unfortunately, have a 4K resolution screen. I'm sorry, but this is overkill. Everything on the screen is SO TINY! I use Excel daily, and I couldn't believe how small the cells were. Even in the file explorer, all the folders and text are so tiny. Is there any way to remedy this?! I tried changing the resolution to a lower resolution, but it looks horrible, because it doesn't fit the native screen resolution. Do they make ANY 1080p screens on a medium/high end laptop these days? I don't want to be constantly squinting.
You have bad vision and need to make the icons bigger???

Why can't you just go to your display setting and increase the size?

Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,477,627 times
Last time I checked, about 20 seconds ago, W10 has a setting to increase the size of things. You may not realize that current versions of Excel have a slider in the lower right corner for sizing the display too. Just checked that also.

W10 has been known for scaling issues in the early months. Many complaints like yours but those days seem to be behind us, at least for those of us who know how to tweak the settings.

It's sad that a retailer would not properly set a new machine up for demo purposes, unless another prior customer mucked them up. But your problem is easily fixed.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Last time I checked, about 20 seconds ago, W10 has a setting to increase the size of things. You may not realize that current versions of Excel have a slider in the lower right corner for sizing the display too. Just checked that also.

W10 has been known for scaling issues in the early months. Many complaints like yours but those days seem to be behind us, at least for those of us who know how to tweak the settings.

It's sad that a retailer would not properly set a new machine up for demo purposes, unless another prior customer mucked them up. But your problem is easily fixed.
I shouldn't have to adjust the zoom level in Excel though...that's ridiculous. Now, if W10 has a setting that allows me to make the size of things larger, that would be good. I just hate thing looking so tiny on a high resolution display. My current laptop screen in 768p. I feel like 1080p would be ideal, but absolutely no higher than that, because even 1080p makes things appear small.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:18 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,109,350 times
Quote:
I shouldn't have to adjust the zoom level in Excel though...that's ridiculous.
Why is that ridiculous? I use Excel all day at my job. I constantly zoom in and out depending on how much or how little I need to see.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Why is that ridiculous? I use Excel all day at my job. I constantly zoom in and out depending on how much or how little I need to see.
Right, but my point is....with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. I don't want to have to be zooming in and out all the time just to see stuff. That's absurd. I rarely ever have to do that at home or at work. They should design screen resolutions and apps so that the default zoom level is very easy to read things without having to squint or zoom in.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,891,951 times
Type "size" into the search box, there is global setting for scaling things up. There may also be options for this in the panel for your graphics card.

Since you are sitting so close to the screen 4K can make difference as long as the screen size is about 10 inches or bigger and the source is capable. Images for example, 1080 can only display the full detail of an image about 2MP or less.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-15-2016 at 11:17 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 11:47 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,051,401 times
Quote:
Not sure what your definition of a "good laptop" or a "medium/highend laptop"is, but there are many many that are only 1080p:

$1700 Dell XPS-- XPS 15 9550 High Performance Laptop | Dell

The new $1200 HP Spectre -- HP Spectre laptops | HP® Official Store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers