U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 02:42 PM

965 posts, read 1,217,348 times

Advertisements

Hi. I know many people here do not have Windows Updates install Automatically because they do not want Win 10 put on their systems. I am in agreement. I had a repair person work on my laptop and he said that he didn't think Win 10 install would be a good thing at this point.

So I go to Windows Update today and I am seeing that the "find updates" never finds anything. When I clicked previous updates, I got a msg saying that I had never installed updates on this computer. This isn't true. I went to recent windows updates installed through another window and it had an 8/6 adobe update, and updates from July.
I went to the MS Forum and many people seem to be having the "can't find updates" problem . MS directs them to a link but, for most people, it doesn't help. Anyone been having problems like this?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 03:38 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
It's a moot point as the free Windows 10 push is over, it's not being offered anymore via Windows update.

Do you get an error message or does it just keep searching? If the latter that is an ongoing well known issue.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,699,942 times
Windows update has been buggy for years. Can't tell you how many hours I've spent fixing it.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:33 PM

6,235 posts, read 6,109,617 times
Windows 10 has been solid. Dos still works.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:49 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,536,743 times
Hundreds of thousands of people have had problems with loading/installing the Aug 9 update patches. Your repair person may have tried to update windows and got a 'fail' and used MS fixit windows update trouble shooter. It resets like you never used update service but it doesn't delete previously installed updates. If you reset to look for updates, the search will probably go on forever trying to connect to the MS windows update server.
If your computer is sluggish, open the resource monitor to see if the wuauserv [update search app] is consuming too much of the cpu [in my case 95%] It will run forever until it connects with MS server.
If you're not too concerned about getting updates, you can reduce wuauserv to zero by changing the update search page to 'never update. Reboot is required.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 PM

I'm still getting the searching forever updates. The last update was 8/6 but in the menu to the left of the search forever circle, the update history does say no updates have ever been installed on this computer.
I do want to get the updates.
I will try again tomorrow.
The MS forums are useless on this...

Thanks everyone

Old 08-17-2016, 03:58 PM

Hi Again
Last nt I ran disk clean up, disk defrag, malwarebytes and MSE. I was hoping that I could install updates today. I did get a big red X telling me to look for updates.
I got the same screens as yesterday. There are no error messages..

Here are the 3 relevant screens and I am never finding updates.

Anyone know how to solve this instead of just running the computer without updates, which I do not want to do?
Thanks.

Windows Updates, not set to auto install-windowsupdate17aug16.png

Windows Updates, not set to auto install-viewupdatehistory17aug16.png

Windows Updates, not set to auto install-installedupdates17aug16.png

Old 08-17-2016, 07:48 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,536,743 times
I finally got connected to the Microsoft update server and got error code 8024402C The proxy server or target server name can not be resolved. This indicates to me that the problem is with Microsoft server not my computer.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the "update", d4g4m.
I shut the user account settings off (with reboot) and still no updates in MS land. I looked at a couple of blogs while waiting and see that this happened to WinXP just after Win7 was released. MS doesn't seem to intend any fix. So for now, I will just not worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or