U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:09 PM

1,294 posts, read 630,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
At this point I think I'm going to push the computer as far as I can. I hate that it's this slow, but I just paid $300 for a car repair, and I need clothes, shoes, glasses, and some other things that should probably take priority. I'm not too worried about downloading movies and TV shows at this point because the site I'm on has some really super people doing their best to make sure the movies and stuff are virus free. I've been on that site for about 5 years now, and I have yet to download a virus. And at this point getting a nasty virus on the computer would sort of be like winning the lottery when you're 99 years old. At that point, who cares?
It depends on if you have anything particularly sensitive on there. Do you log into bank accounts? Do you have an amazon account? Online shopping of any type?
All of these things can be compromised if someone can get a process running on your machine.

And to everyone else... Yes, we absolutely know Windows XP is unsafe. Download Metasploit point it at a Windows XP machine and enjoy breaking in within 10 minutes.
Also, you can see a list of registered vulnerabilities here: https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...indows-Xp.html

I would strongly recommend not even connecting a Windows XP computer to the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 03:38 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,198,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
It depends on if you have anything particularly sensitive on there. Do you log into bank accounts? Do you have an amazon account? Online shopping of any type?
All of these things can be compromised if someone can get a process running on your machine.

And to everyone else... Yes, we absolutely know Windows XP is unsafe. Download Metasploit point it at a Windows XP machine and enjoy breaking in within 10 minutes.
Also, you can see a list of registered vulnerabilities here: https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi...indows-Xp.html

I would strongly recommend not even connecting a Windows XP computer to the internet.
The only thing I do on the XP is wander around C-D. I don't trust it at all. Its CD drive died, last week the speakers died . . . why do I even fire it up at all??!! Habit, I guess. I think today is its last day. Off to unplug it forever right now. I'm convinced!

Old 08-23-2016, 04:27 PM

5,605 posts, read 2,928,232 times
I suppose a hacker could break into all my accounts, but unless they just want to mess everything up, there's no financial reward for doing so. I have no bank account and my pay-as-you-go card rarely has more than $5, if that much, and that's what I use to shop online with. When you're in my financial situation, having an old computer is like having to live in the cheap area of town. You know anyone can break into your house while you're gone, but what can you do about it if you can't afford to move somewhere safer or put in security alarms? It's the way life is for a lot of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or