U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:50 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,707,067 times

Advertisements

^ pretty imaginative, especially since these systems would not run off a PC - who would keep a PC on all the time solely to run a critical program? No company that I can imagine in consumer space. You sure you understand how these systems, like security and monitoring work? Even when they're wifi enabled, the computer is only a control interface, not a critical component of the system's operation.

Surely you can do better than this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 01:42 PM

18,564 posts, read 55,493,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ pretty imaginative, especially since these systems would not run off a PC - who would keep a PC on all the time solely to run a critical program? No company that I can imagine in consumer space. You sure you understand how these systems, like security and monitoring work? Even when they're wifi enabled, the computer is only a control interface, not a critical component of the system's operation.

Surely you can do better than this?
And so the believers vs. non-believers crap begins. Surely if you want me to do your thinking work for you, you can pay me. Otherwise...

Old 10-06-2016, 03:25 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,707,067 times
^ I'll just look at you as the fantasy alternative!

Old 10-06-2016, 04:44 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
First, consider that not all people are fully able.

Second, consider how home automation is increasingly gaining headway.

As a possible example, something as simple as an automatic thermostat control for a bedridden person could default to "no heat". Monitoring systems and security could fail, allowing an intruder. I'm not going to bother to bring up more examples of possibilities, as I suspect this could turn into a religious debate with believers in the potential problem and non-believers. If you can't see it, fine.
Hmmm ... can you cite one case where a person died because their "life-critical" app crashed or couldn't run (for whatever reason, OS, environmental, etc)? You're talking about a personal life-critical app, not an enterprise app like ones at hospitals or other data centers because those generally have change management processes.
I can use my phone or PC to control my Nest thermostat but it doesn't mean that if my phone or PC crashes, the thermostat blows up.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:15 PM

Again, more believer/non-believer tedium. Never underestimate the stupidity, gullibility, and laziness of the human mind.
Put a car on the road, someone will crash it. Put a toy in a kinder egg, someone will choke on it... although they don't have that problem in Britain. Put an OS out that effectively crashes programs requiring focus, s*** will happen. For all I care, father Robert on Twit.tv could have instituted suit because the operating system failing (updating) during a show cost $$$.

In your haste to defend the indefensible behavior of the OS, you seem fixated on the bright shiny object of trying to force me to find an app that could be life critical. NOT MY JOB. If you don't think the behavior is a problem, goodie for you. If you don't think MS will eventually get sued, whatever. People believe in the Easter Bunny as well.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:49 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times

Old 10-07-2016, 07:39 AM

701 posts, read 994,365 times
Woman Wins $10,000 From Microsoft After Unwanted Windows 10 Upgrade

Microsoft slapped with class-action lawsuits over Windows 10 upgrade practices | ExtremeTech

Thumbs up Harry!

I'm fortunate enough that I don't need anything from Microsoft. I only have one PC with Win 7 (great OS!), but I hardly use it.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:33 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Quote:
In a statement to the Seattle Times, Microsoft denied any wrongdoing and said it dropped the case to avoid further litigation costs.
Yeah, those litigation costs will break the bank!!

Old 10-07-2016, 02:03 PM

Source http://themetapicture.com

Old 10-07-2016, 02:56 PM

9,086 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Again, more believer/non-believer tedium. Never underestimate the stupidity, gullibility, and laziness of the human mind.
Put a car on the road, someone will crash it. Put a toy in a kinder egg, someone will choke on it... although they don't have that problem in Britain. Put an OS out that effectively crashes programs requiring focus, s*** will happen. For all I care, father Robert on Twit.tv could have instituted suit because the operating system failing (updating) during a show cost $$$.

In your haste to defend the indefensible behavior of the OS, you seem fixated on the bright shiny object of trying to force me to find an app that could be life critical. NOT MY JOB. If you don't think the behavior is a problem, goodie for you. If you don't think MS will eventually get sued, whatever. People believe in the Easter Bunny as well.
Agreed.

Microsoft shouted to the world that they had lost their grip on any sort of ethical reality when they instituted activation and WGA in Windows XP. Few other than I and a handful of others batted an eye, thus the monster began to grow exponentially toward what we have today. Simply because it was allowed to.

We're farther than ever from anyone getting rich off betting against the stupidity, gullibility, and laziness of the human mind, I'm afraid.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 10-07-2016 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or