U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 PM

1,211 posts, read 834,609 times

Advertisements

Definitely use the router. They're not that hard to set up, and provide an extra layer of protection from the internet bad guys. If you connect directly to the modem, your computer's IP address can easily be discovered and potentially hacked. The router masks this information and adds a firewall to block attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:10 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Be nice, P. Let's not forget how confusing it was for us back when.

snowmaountains, set up your router and connect both computers to it. If (when) you need help come back here.
rAmen, brother. In 1987 I came in to work and found a stack of boxes six feet high and nine feet long down the middle of the hallway. My boss said, "Ah, you're finally in. The computers came last night. Put them together, learn to run them and teach everybody else."

I took the letter that came with them to a local book store and said "HELP!!!!!"

The clerk read the letter and said, "You have a DOS* system system, we have an intro book right here." I read it twice that weekend. Then I got four of the troopers and taught them computers. Then I tasked them with teaching one other person, and so on. We learned us some computers! A month later we were hooked into NCIC.

Bottom line, everybody who isn't a ghost in the machine was a noob at one point.

*I didn't know DOS was capitalized at that point.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:37 PM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Be nice, P. Let's not forget how confusing it was for us back when.

snowmaountains, set up your router and connect both computers to it. If (when) you need help come back here.

Wasn't meanign to be rude. Just comic relief.

It doesn't get much easier then using a network, OP!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:30 PM

4,578 posts, read 8,189,440 times
A bit late to the party - but a router will be the easiest route as it provides all the network configurations.

Plugging a cable between the two computer will only work if you've setup the network adapters (assign IP addresses, etc.). If the computers aren't ancient, the network adapters should autosense and not need a crossover cable. Gigabit adaptors never need crossovers.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,445,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
A bit late to the party - but a router will be the easiest route as it provides all the network configurations.

Plugging a cable between the two computer will only work if you've setup the network adapters (assign IP addresses, etc.). If the computers aren't ancient, the network adapters should autosense and not need a crossover cable. Gigabit adaptors never need crossovers.

They'll automatically setup a 169.x.x.x IP address.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:05 PM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Thank you all! Once I connected the 2 PCs using the crossover cables you recommended, will the PCs show up on each other immediately, or do I need to perform something? Clueless :O) (In short, I'm looking for the simpliest, most direct way...)

P.S. So the Ethernet that I have is only good for computer to modem, not computer to computer?
If this is one shot deal go into the computer you want to copy the files to, it's been a while but this should be correct. Create a folder in C: called files or whatever you want to name it. Right click the new folder >> Properties >> Sharing >> Share button >> Drop down tab select everyone.

Every cable I have used to do this worked so perhaps they were all crossover cables, nothing wrong with trying. When you connect them if I recall it's going to ask you if you want to connect to this network.

Go to the computer with the files you want to copy, in file explorer under networks the computer should be listed and you should be able to navigate to the folder you created. Copy the files to the folder. Once they are on the other computer you can move them to appropriate place and delete the folder you created.

If it's not a one shot deal you will want to set up properly with router.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 AM

4,578 posts, read 8,189,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
They'll automatically setup a 169.x.x.x IP address.
oops. Completely forgot...

Old 08-24-2016, 05:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 5,584,537 times
OK my dear fellows, I received the Belkin CAT5e crossover cable and need a little help setting up the network if you don't mind .

I want to set up the home network between Desktop and Laptop using Ethernet cables (at this time I'm not ready to try out the more complicated wireless network yet).

What I have done now is to connect this way:

Internet cable Modem ==> Router ==> Desktop || Laptop

(each plugged into one of the 4 yellow Ethernet sockets of the router. By "||" I mean they have the same (parallel) relation to the router. There is nothing connecting the two computers directly.

Now what? From each of the computers I can only see "Home network", but no files show up on each other.

There is slight difference on each computer:
Desktop "Network and Sharing Center" shows the name Network 2, and is "home network" (I may have chosen so);

Laptop "Network and Sharing Center" shows the name Network (without "2"), and is "public network". Should I click on "Home network"?

What to do from here?

Thanks for your patience.

P.S. By the way, how is this different from plugging both Desktop and Laptop into the Ethernet sockets of the Cable Modem directly, rather than via the Router? (The modem has several Ethernet sockets, so it can also serve as a router, right?)

P.P.S. If I simply connect the two computers directly with an Ethernet cable, what shows in Network and Sharing Cetner is "Unidentifed network".

Last edited by snowmountains; 08-24-2016 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 05:28 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,494,990 times
from what you describe, the internet transceiver you got from your isp can probably also function as a router.

i dont know windows as well. mite be easier to boot up both machines using gnu/linux live-usb's, then simply use scp/sftp/sshfs/... to transfer files.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:47 PM

4,749 posts, read 5,584,537 times
UPDATE: the network is working now! What I did was to turn on the file sharing for home network (and turn it off for public network). All I needed to do, then, was to enter the user name and login password for the other computer. Now I can copy files between the two. (So physical connection by Ethernet cable doesn't need any configuration. Just to make sure the file sharing within the home network is enabled.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or