U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 04:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times

Advertisements

you do know that if the two computers are both on the same wireless lan subnet, you can do the same thing with no cable? I do lots of sharing among my fleet of computers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 05:46 PM

4,752 posts, read 5,599,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
you do know that if the two computers are both on the same wireless lan subnet, you can do the same thing with no cable? I do lots of sharing among my fleet of computers....
I have not configured wifi for the router. Each computer is connected to the router by Ethernet cable.

What I wonder is, if I don't use router, but simply connect the two computers directly with a crossover cable, and turn on the Network Discovery and File Sharing for Homenetwork (but off for Public network), why doesn't it work? Neither computer can "see" the other.

(I've turned off the Wifi on the Laptop. I just want to see if the crossover cable alone can accomplish the connection and sharing)

Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,674,680 times
Is there anything particular I should look for in an external HDD that will be hooked up to the TPLINK router and used solely for backing up files?

Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Is there anything particular I should look for in an external HDD that will be hooked up to the TPLINK router and used solely for backing up files?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Dang, I was just about to suggest you get some crystals and realign the chakras.
Appreciate any answer to my last post - why simply connecting 2 computers directly with crossover cable (w/o router) doesn't work. One of the computers (desktop) does show the name of the laptop under "network", but clicking on it can't open files in the laptop. Laptop doesn't even show the desktop at all.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Not really. Any one will work. I assume you don't want bells & whistles like cloud connectivity or anything like that. Just get a big enough one to cover your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Appreciate any answer to my last post - why simply connecting 2 computers directly with crossover cable (w/o router) doesn't work. One of the computers (desktop) does show the name of the laptop under "network", but clicking on it can't open files in the laptop. Laptop doesn't even show the desktop at all.
Because that's just not how networking works. What a security nightmare that would be? Could you imagine being able to walk up to any computer with File Print Sharing turned on and just using a Crossover cable to connect to it to get files off?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:49 AM

5,728 posts, read 6,921,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
from what you describe, the internet transceiver you got from your isp can probably also function as a router.

i dont know windows as well. mite be easier to boot up both machines using gnu/linux live-usb's, then simply use scp/sftp/sshfs/... to transfer files.
Cheeses, the OP didn't know anything about ethernet and routers, and now you want to try start him/her on Linux and live distros on USB and using command-line? That's almost like asking a kid that just learned to ride a bicycle to fly the Space Shuttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Thanks. Aren't the username and password only for Wifi? I'm using Ethernet only now.

I'm having another question about resetting username and password: If I use my router between the cable modem and computer, the router itself also has username and password, so I'm confused, what's the relationship between these and the usernames and password of the cable modem? Which would a hacker need to know to invade my computer? There seem to be two different websites for changing username/password for the Cable Modem and for the Router, respectively. I couldn't login the Cable modem gateway website with either admin or user of the the user name/password printed on th modem. I could login the Router's gateway website but didn't dare to change any settings for fear of messing things up.
OP, the reason that there are two 'websites' (addresses) for the passwords is because all of the different devices need a different 'address' in order to work together- think of it like a street with houses, each house has an address and a mailbox, in order for everyone to get their own mail, they all need to have their own boxes and addresses, otherwise the mailmain would get confused and stuff would go in the wrong boxes.

Your cable modem will have 'DHCP' enabled on it, and as each computer or other device comes on line it will assign an address to it, and keep track of the addresses so that everything goes where it should. (DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, think about it as being the Postmaster at your Post Office, assigning addresses so that everyone gets his or her mail and mail for one person {device} does not get delivered to the wrong address.)

Now, if I understand your situation correctly, your cable modem already has wifi and ethernet ports, so it will already function as a router. If this is the case, then you do not need the router that you just added- it is only adding an extra (and unnecessary) layer of complexity to your network.

Just use the cable modem directly, and take the other one out of the mix.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:27 PM

5,424 posts, read 8,795,632 times
IIRC (its been 15 years since I had to do such things !) when connecting 2 PCs via an xover cable, you have to manually assign IP addresses & subnet masks to the Ethernet ports of each PC. Because there is no router or cable/dsl modem with DHCP to do it for you.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:57 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
That would be a best practice, yes, as the link I provided notes. Which would then knock you off your internet. So then you need to reconfigure to get back online. In no known scenario does this make any sense today in our world or routers and clouds.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:24 PM

1,218 posts, read 840,167 times
What brand of cable modem do you have? There is surely a way to turn off and/or configure the modem's wifi. If you eventually want to set up a wifi network, it's much safer to do that with the router than the modem.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Could you imagine being able to walk up to any computer with File Print Sharing turned on and just using a Crossover cable to connect to it to get files off?
OK that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Now, if I understand your situation correctly, your cable modem already has wifi and ethernet ports, so it will already function as a router. If this is the case, then you do not need the router that you just added- it is only adding an extra (and unnecessary) layer of complexity to your network.

Just use the cable modem directly, and take the other one out of the mix.
Thanks Zymer for your patient explanations! Yes this is the case, and I will try plugging both computers to the modem's Ethernet sockets (there are several). It does seem that the use of the router changes the IP address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
What brand of cable modem do you have? There is surely a way to turn off and/or configure the modem's wifi. If you eventually want to set up a wifi network, it's much safer to do that with the router than the modem.
There is no switch, I've asked the technician about it. He said the only way to disconnect is to unplug. The brand is UBEE. This is where I can ask another question : After I bought the router, I told the ISP to turn off the wifi for my service so that I don't need to be charged the wifi router monthly rental (a technician had told me the wifi could be turned off by them remotely). They got my message and the monthly wifi fee has been removed, yet I continue to have Wifi from the modem. Being a nice customer I have contacted them repeatedly to make sure they turn off the wifi, and they said don't worry it will, but I still have it. This is why my new router had never been used until starting this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or