U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:01 PM

4,915 posts, read 2,511,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Cheeses, the OP didn't know anything about ethernet and routers, and now you want to try start him/her on Linux and live distros on USB and using command-line? That's almost like asking a kid that just learned to ride a bicycle to fly the Space Shuttle.
its not necessary to learn windows before being able to use a gnu/linux distro.

in this case it seems easier to just configure windows to share directories but it wouldve taken me days to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 10:17 PM

1,218 posts, read 840,167 times
To log in to the modem - Search | Ubee Interactive

To turn off wifi in the modem - How do I disable the Wi-Fi Signal so that I can use my own Wi-Fi? | Ubee Interactive

(Compliments of Google)

Old 08-27-2016, 12:52 AM

4,752 posts, read 5,599,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
To log in to the modem - Search | Ubee Interactive

To turn off wifi in the modem - How do I disable the Wi-Fi Signal so that I can use my own Wi-Fi? | Ubee Interactive

(Compliments of Google)
Thanks! However, I still can't log in. Have tried all the combinations of user, admin, password, modem username and password. Don't know why.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:26 AM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
What kind of router modem do you have? Some have a reset button that reset settings to factory out of box. Made for situations like this, although reset also deletes your wifi passwords.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:30 PM

5,424 posts, read 8,795,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Thanks! However, I still can't log in. Have tried all the combinations of user, admin, password, modem username and password. Don't know why.
If the modem was supplied by your ISP, then most likely they have it locked out of being able to make changes locally. Our Arris Touchstone modem (not WiFi capable) from Comcast is that way. At IP 192.168.100.1, we can see a few statistical screens with no login, but there is no login for configuration/setup screens.

On our TP-Link router, which we provided/own, we have full access at 192.168.0.1 Default login was admin/admin.

However, if your modem is also WiFi capable, I would think you should have some setup access for some things such as setting static IPs for some devices, WiFi password, etc.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:22 PM

keep in mind a modem can be a modem only, with no user accessible controls, hence no login.

Most modems these days are also routers, though, so should have a customer accessible settings page.

You can always call your ISP tech support (yes, use a speaker phone for that long wait?) to get further guidance.

You can also buy your own modems these days to get full control. Again, consult your ISP/Cable provider to see what version of DOCSIS you need as a minimum.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:48 PM

So I contacted ISP rep and they gave me several possible login usernames and passwords, only one set of them worked, and I would be able to change the wifi username/passwords though I haven't yet. Here is what I don't understand: as mentioned earlier, I told ISP to remove the wifi service to save a small monthly fee and intend to use my router for wifi, they removed the fee, but the wifi is still available to me. It's not likely an oversight because I contacted them multiple times to make sure turning wifi service off and they said no worry. (I thought I couldn't login in with the usual admin or user username because of removing the service.) So what's going on? Obviously this is not complaint but just curiosity...

Old 08-27-2016, 05:02 PM

4,915 posts, read 2,511,124 times
they were probably too lazy or incompetent to disable it remotely.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:08 PM

when they remove the service, you'll need a direct connection, either through the router or directly plugged into your modem.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
when they remove the service, you'll need a direct connection, either through the router or directly plugged into your modem.
I can connect to the Internet via wifi all this time, computer physically disconnected to router and modem.
I also don't believe they were being lazy or incompetent. Those companies know how to make money and would not let you "steal" their service. That's why I don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or