U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:36 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,494,990 times

Advertisements

^ it probably cost more money to take an hour to figure it out (possibly having to send a technician out to swap your potentially misconfigured internet x-ceiver) than to just say dont worry about it.
(take a penny; leave a penny)

the stolen wifi isnt degrading your service in any way. why are you obsessing over it ?

comcast has some xfinity-wifi service where residential accounts are sharing the connection with other comcast mobile subscribers.

Resident's WiFi router possibly interfering with my own, landlord oblivious

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 08-28-2016 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 AM

5,721 posts, read 6,912,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I can connect to the Internet via wifi all this time, computer physically disconnected to router and modem.
I also don't believe they were being lazy or incompetent. Those companies know how to make money and would not let you "steal" their service. That's why I don't understand.
They should not be charging you an extra fee to have wi-fi enabled. This is the first time I have heard of that. I don't know of anyone else that does it, you could just buy your own device and do it yourself.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:08 AM

4,749 posts, read 5,584,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
They should not be charging you an extra fee to have wi-fi enabled. This is the first time I have heard of that. I don't know of anyone else that does it, you could just buy your own device and do it yourself.
It's called "wifi router rental"

I did a little more search and there are others who want but couldn't disable their wifi. There are suggestions to use "bridging" to achieve it, but I'm clueless about what it means. One source says you may be able to do it after signing in the gateway.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:28 AM

5,721 posts, read 6,912,654 times
Quote:
It's called "wifi router rental"

I did a little more search and there are others who want but couldn't disable their wifi. There are suggestions to use "bridging" to achieve it, but I'm clueless about what it means. One source says you may be able to do it after signing in the gateway.
Well, it's silly (and they probably know it). If they stopped charging you, good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In 'bridging', you would be extending your wireless network by turning your store-bought router into an 'access point' by disabling its DHCP and routing capabilities.

For your purposes, if at some point the wi-fi in your CableCo (rented) modem was de-activated and you still wanted/needed wi-fi, it would be much simpler to disable the DHCP and routing in the rental unit, connect your owned unit via the uplink port and let that do all the DHCP and wi-fi.

Or, just buy your own cable modem and tell CableCo to take theirs back because you are tired of getting ripped-off.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
In 'bridging', you would be extending your wireless network by turning your store-bought router into an 'access point' by disabling its DHCP and routing capabilities.

For your purposes, if at some point the wi-fi in your CableCo (rented) modem was de-activated and you still wanted/needed wi-fi, it would be much simpler to disable the DHCP and routing in the rental unit, connect your owned unit via the uplink port and let that do all the DHCP and wi-fi.
I have another reason to want to turn off the wifi radio from the modem/rental router. I usually don't use wifi at home, and if I ever need it, I'll use my own router. Is turning off the wifi radio the same thing as disabling DHCP?

Old 08-30-2016, 02:45 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,494,990 times
Quote:
certain cellular-fone companies charge a premium for wifi hotspot. i assume residential isp's are starting to get into that game ?

Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 PM

5,414 posts, read 8,772,373 times
Quote:
I have another reason to want to turn off the wifi radio from the modem/rental router. I usually don't use wifi at home, and if I ever need it, I'll use my own router. Is turning off the wifi radio the same thing as disabling DHCP?
No, they are separate issues.

WiFi is the radio that carries data wirelessly between a WiFi Router/Base and a WiFi-capable PC/device (could be a WiFi printer, etc)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

DHCP is the protocol (data packets) that a router uses to assign IP addresses to connected devices (PCs, printers, etc). It can uses either WiFi or direct connect cables to "speak" to these devices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynami...ation_Protocol

Old 08-30-2016, 06:03 PM

Thanks reed.

Now I have something to report, which may help others who don't want WIFI: I finally got the WIFI disabled! Man, it was quite some effort on my side, and quite a process. A chat rep (who appeared to be also trying to learn how to do this, by Trial and Error ) got me through to enable bridging after login to the gateway (192.168...) (there are two steps there to enable it). He though it should solve the problem, but no. So I called tech support. Turned out there is one more step: the technician needed to change some code. After that, he reset the modem (phone went dead during that time), and I needed to unplug the modem from power, then replug. Finally the phone and Internet are both back.

Must sound crazy of me to go so far in order to disable WIFI.

A lesson I learned is when you need this kind of highly technical help, call the tech support, don't expect the chat reps to be helpful. The chat rep "assured" me twice that "this time it will work", but it never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or