U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:33 PM

6,223 posts, read 9,353,214 times

Advertisements

I spend way too much time on my desktop with a 19.5 inch monitor (basic, no fancy settings). Lately my eyes have been burning and I am very fatigued. I just purchased computer glasses on line with a new eyeglass Rx. Should I also invest in a bigger monitor? If so, how big. Any other hints as to how to protect eyesight from the glare? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 06:37 PM

4,359 posts, read 9,510,863 times
A bigger monitor is not going to make any difference unless you increase the zoom or font size, which you can do on your old monitor.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,960,319 times
I use a tablet for most items and a lap top with a large screen. Between the tablet and laptop the laptop screen lets me use larger font. But with a 19.5 inch I would probably be splitting the screen in two for heavy reading. I do not thin a larger screen will help.

You can probably plug your computer into your TV or connect over wifi. This would let you test a larger screen.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Ansky is right. A larger monitor will run at a higher native resolution making everything even smaller at the recommended settings.
There are many ways to make this larger on any screen.
What OS do you have?
What do you mainly have trouble seeing?
My favorite feature in most browsers is holding ALT and rolling the mouse wheel to zoom on a page.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:14 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,672,832 times
I have rampaging cataracts. I run two 27" monitors and big/small things everywhere to suit my vision.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:47 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I spend way too much time on my desktop with a 19.5 inch monitor (basic, no fancy settings). Lately my eyes have been burning and I am very fatigued. I just purchased computer glasses on line with a new eyeglass Rx. Should I also invest in a bigger monitor? If so, how big. Any other hints as to how to protect eyesight from the glare? TIA
It did for me on my desktop. I bought a new, larger (23") LED monitor on eBay to replace my older LCD (19") monitor and it made all the difference in the world. And the price wasn't outrageous either. Everything about the images and colors are much better and sharper than on the old LCD..... no comparison. I can truly say that I now enjoy sitting in front of the pc for browsing the internet or watching videos/movies.

My suggestion would be to go to a store that sells pc's and check out the live monitors that they have on display, and then you can see what works for you.

p.s. about the burning eyes.... I use eye allergy relief drops I bought at walmart that I use when my eyes start burning. After a few minutes, the burning is over.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,856 posts, read 56,242,556 times
My eyeglasses are progressive, with a slight distance correction at the top, reading at the bottom, and computer screen in the middle. In addition, I get the anti-glare coating which only adds about $30 to the cost, and have no issues with glare from the computer. The anti-glare monitor screens work but also reduce the clarity and brightness.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:40 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,591,280 times
I did a little research on this. There are monitors marketed as eye-care monitors, or low blue light, which provides the "reading mode" that are flicker-free, or low blue light, or both. BenQ and ASUS and LG have such models. Some have several modes for you to choose or set your own by adjusting the color parameters. I had bought an LG that can switch to reading mode with just a button. Have a BenQ and happy with it.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:32 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,280,182 times
When using a LED TV as a monitor, do not go too big else you want to look at it like you are looking at a tennis match.
27 inch is about the max width monitor and you can increase the fonts so can sit quite far away and still read it, providing your eyesight is good at that distance.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:35 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,298,200 times
When I had a desktop all in one with a big monitor I had to have it further away from me or my eyes would start hurting.
Now I have a laptop and will use a wireless keyboard often so I do not have the laptop monitor close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or