U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:27 AM

4,752 posts, read 5,599,255 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking, as recommended, to use my (currently only) external HDD (500GB) for main storage, and buy another external HDD for backup use. The positive is I can connect the external one to either the laptop or the desktop (new PC) and update files on either in time. So now I wonder: what's the best/easiest way to transfer files between 2 external HDDs (main storage <---> backup)?

Always appreciate your input!

(the drive duplication seems too complicated for me for now with 17 steps)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:46 AM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
don't forget cloud storage if you don't want to lug a drive around.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I'm thinking, as recommended, to use my (currently only) external HDD (500GB) for main storage, and buy another external HDD for backup use. The positive is I can connect the external one to either the laptop or the desktop (new PC) and update files on either in time. So now I wonder: what's the best/easiest way to transfer files between 2 external HDDs (main storage <---> backup)?

Your existing external 500GB drive is used as normal.
For backup for a novice, I'd just recommend an external HDD and backup software.
Some drives (Seagate, for example) comes with basic backup software so simply set up a schedule to back up all your files.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 PM

1,294 posts, read 630,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
A gigabyte is a gigabyte, no matter what the medium. SSDs may be more reliable, but they don't magically create storage space. You only have 128GB, and some of it is used by the OS and not available for file storage.
I am open to new evidence, but my understanding is that HDDs are more reliable and SSDs are significantly faster. This is a really hard one to prove one way or the other though, because quality SSDs and HDDs both last a long time making any realistic testing a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post

If both of your systems (laptop and desktop) have USB 3.0 ports and the external HDDs support USB 3.0, then you can see pretty good speeds for transferring files even between multiple external devices. I do this every week and tend to get 90MB/s transfer speeds.

What this means is that you'd be able to backup all 100GB of your files to your external drive in about 20 minutes (give or take, depending on number of files.)

You can tell if you have USB 3.0 ports by looking for blue USB slots on your systems.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:41 PM

4,752 posts, read 5,599,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
If both of your systems (laptop and desktop) have USB 3.0 ports and the external HDDs support USB 3.0, then you can see pretty good speeds for transferring files even between multiple external devices. I do this every week and tend to get 90MB/s transfer speeds.

What this means is that you'd be able to backup all 100GB of your files to your external drive in about 20 minutes (give or take, depending on number of files.)

You can tell if you have USB 3.0 ports by looking for blue USB slots on your systems.
Thanks, I didn't know blue USB ports mean they are 3.0! The new desktop has all blue, but the old laptop has all 2.0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers