U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2016, 10:16 AM
 
Location: God's Country
5,188 posts, read 3,650,706 times
Reputation: 8689

Advertisements

Now I've heard of ransomware viruses popping up on your PC telling you that your computer's files are no longer able to be accessed and will be erased unless you pay $$$$, but a phone call?


Without identifying herself or me, the caller -- obviously a robot -- told me (actually, my answering machine) that Microsoft has locked my PC because the license has expired. To have the license renewed, call (toll free no.). How do they know that the party they dial even has a PC? I guess they assume that the overwhelming no. of people do and that they use Microsoft and that a certain percentage of them will panic without checking their computer, choosing instead to dial the toll free no and release sensitive, private information. Sheesh.


The previous day, the answering machine received a message warning that the IRS has filed a suit against me and I need to call a certain no. What next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2016, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Upland, CA
3,748 posts, read 6,606,838 times
Reputation: 4310
I get calls from "Geek Support Live" all the time.. just ignore it and block it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 10:19 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
Reputation: 2163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Now I've heard of ransomware viruses popping up on your PC telling you that your computer's files are no longer able to be accessed and will be erased unless you pay $$$$, but a phone call?


Without identifying herself or me, the caller -- obviously a robot -- told me (actually, my answering machine) that Microsoft has locked my PC because the license has expired. To have the license renewed, call (toll free no.). How do they know that the party they dial even has a PC? I guess they assume that the overwhelming no. of people do and that they use Microsoft and that a certain percentage of them will panic without checking their computer, choosing instead to dial the toll free no and release sensitive, private information. Sheesh.
I say something to the live ones that would get me banned here. I can hear their faces going red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 10:20 AM
 
1,211 posts, read 834,609 times
Reputation: 2156
It's hard to believe anyone falls for this, but obviously enough people do to make it worthwhile. If they make thousands of robocalls a day and get 1 person to pay up, that's probably a nice 6 figure income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 10:22 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
Reputation: 2163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
It's hard to believe anyone falls for this, but obviously enough people do to make it worthwhile. If they make thousands of robocalls a day and get 1 person to pay up, that's probably a nice 6 figure income.
Makes you wonder how many people check their computer first...

I guess that would fall under Silicon Darwining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 01:08 PM
 
26,158 posts, read 15,731,811 times
Reputation: 17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62


The previous day, the answering machine received a message warning that the IRS has filed a suit against me and I need to call a certain no. What next?

Ya we got that too...... Just calmly ignore it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
Reputation: 2163
NoMoRoBo.com. It works. It's free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 06:02 PM
 
28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
Reputation: 37221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
NoMoRoBo.com. It works. It's free.
I will, yet again, remind everyone that it is not free for cell phone usage. Only landline is free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 06:04 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
Reputation: 2163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I will, yet again, remind everyone that it is not free for cell phone usage. Only landline is free.
I only use it for land line, so I tend to forget that. Besides, those who don't read the page ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 06:11 PM
 
28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
Reputation: 37221
Can't argue with your last statement, but ya know... is pretty common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top