U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM

89 posts, read 123,973 times

Advertisements

I fell for one of those popup screen scams that tell you to call Microsoft within 5 minutes or computer will crash permanently. When I called, the guy gave me something to download (which I stupidly did) and then he was able control my computer and show me where all the threats were. He then said I needed to pay $199 immediately and when I refused he hung up the phone. Then I seen he was still on my computer even after I turned it off and back on and watched as he deleted all my files. After a few minutes he terminated the live IM type thing.

I then called my bank and had password reset and put a temp hold on paypal account. I was getting ready to throw this $100 computer in the garbage but called Geek Squad where the guy with 25 yrs experience told me I have nothing to worry about now. My concern is the scammer will be able to get back into the computer anytime now or something to that effect. When he was deleting my files I was assuming he was copying them too but Geek Squad says he probably was mad and just deleting them. He deleted everything except windows programs as if he still wants me to use the computer so that's why I'm suspicious of him being able to see what I do on it now and in the future. I unplugged my computer and router for awhile and then ran a full scan with Panda free antivirus. Should I even be using this computer anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 12:21 AM

11,780 posts, read 8,760,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post
I fell for one of those popup screen scams that tell you to call Microsoft within 5 minutes or computer will crash permanently. When I called, the guy gave me something to download (which I stupidly did) and then he was able control my computer and show me where all the threats were. He then said I needed to pay $199 immediately and when I refused he hung up the phone. Then I seen he was still on my computer even after I turned it off and back on and watched as he deleted all my files. After a few minutes he terminated the live IM type thing.

I then called my bank and had password reset and put a temp hold on paypal account. I was getting ready to throw this $100 computer in the garbage but called Geek Squad where the guy with 25 yrs experience told me I have nothing to worry about now. My concern is the scammer will be able to get back into the computer anytime now or something to that effect. When he was deleting my files I was assuming he was copying them too but Geek Squad says he probably was mad and just deleting them. He deleted everything except windows programs as if he still wants me to use the computer so that's why I'm suspicious of him being able to see what I do on it now and in the future. I unplugged my computer and router for awhile and then ran a full scan with Panda free antivirus. Should I even be using this computer anymore?
Do you have a backup? I would restore the PC to an earlier state if that is possible. The deleted files are most likely in the recycle bin if you don't have another way to recover them.

Usually, the remote program requires you to give permission before someone can access your PC. Once the session is terminated you would have to grant permission again before access can be restored (usually).

If the scammer did not install anything other than the remote access program then I doubt you have much to worry about. Likely, he just deleted your files.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:40 AM

I just tried restoring computer to an earlier date but after a long while of going through the process an error message appeared saying it couldn't complete that until I remove all anti-virus programs. Does that sound right or maybe an indication something is wrong?

All my deleted files are gone from recycle bin too. Fortunately, I have 98% or more of them backed up on usb thumb drive outside the computer and didn't lose anything critical. Although if scammer managed to copy my files he has my SSN now.

Can someone walk me through how to retrieve deleted files -or- how to easily get windows program onto usb, then clean the hard drive, and reinstall? Or is that not a good idea either? For $8 shipped on ebay I can order this windows 10 install disc. If I do is it sure proof I can clean the hard drive and be rid of any potential threats? Does a disc like that include everything I need? Because I bought this computer used and it was plug in and go.

Last edited by Live-life; 08-25-2016 at 04:26 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 04:59 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,808,108 times
You do not need to buy an install disc, you can download one here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/

As long as you have valid license it should activate after you install. Go to the computer manufactures site and look up the model for the drivers. Windows does a pretty good job but it may miss some or not have the best drivers. I would definitely reinstall because whatever you installed could be anything.

If files are not in the recycle bin stop using the computer, any activity is potentially overwriting your files making them unrecoverable. Definitely do not download anything until you retrieve them, viewing web pages is downloading.... Ideally Disconnect the drive from the computer and connect to another one. Install Recuva and run it, it will probably find all your files as long as they haven't been overwritten by something else. Copy them to external drive and then you can reinstall windows.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

If disconnecting the drive is out of the question use another computer to download the portable version of Recuva that can be run from a USB stick.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva/feat...rtable-version

Old 08-26-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You do not need to buy an install disc, you can download one here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/

As long as you have valid license it should activate after you install. Go to the computer manufactures site and look up the model for the drivers. Windows does a pretty good job but it may miss some or not have the best drivers. I would definitely reinstall because whatever you installed could be anything.

If files are not in the recycle bin stop using the computer, any activity is potentially overwriting your files making them unrecoverable. Definitely do not download anything until you retrieve them, viewing web pages is downloading.... Ideally Disconnect the drive from the computer and connect to another one. Install Recuva and run it, it will probably find all your files as long as they haven't been overwritten by something else. Copy them to external drive and then you can reinstall windows.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

If disconnecting the drive is out of the question use another computer to download the portable version of Recuva that can be run from a USB stick.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva/feat...rtable-version

Ok thanks!

I restored my computer to an earlier date, which is a few days before the scammer got in, but the lost files did not reappear. I'm not too concerned about those being I had 99% or more of them backed up on a thumb drive and already imported them.

I had to uninstall Panda free virus protection in order to restore computer to earlier date but now I can't seem to get Panda working. When I tried downloading new copy it didn't allow it saying I have to remove Panda first. So it's still on my computer and shows in the apps but when I click on it does not open. In settings it shows as 'snoozed' and doesn't allow me to change it. I do remember turning it off in my computer settings somewhere but can't find that option now. Where would that be?

Concerning possible viruses or malware I'm reading that wiping the hard drive completely while taking the ?partitions down? is a sure way to rid or neutralize them? And then reinstall a fresh copy of windows 10? Can you download a free copy of windows and activate it for free? Because those install discs sold on ebay are cheap but some or most say they're not activated or something. Can someone explain this because if I was to wipe my hard drive and couldn't easily install everything I'be be stuck becasue I have no mobile internet and just use this 1 computer.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:12 AM

4,885 posts, read 2,501,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post

geek squad is not even 25 years old ? anyways if i was a criminal i would copy your documents and downloads directories to my pc so i could go thru your emails/tax returns/credit card invoices/city-data account/... at my leisure.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:41 AM

638 posts, read 740,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
geek squad is not even 25 years old ? anyways if i was a criminal i would copy your documents and downloads directories to my pc so i could go thru your emails/tax returns/credit card invoices/city-data account/... at my leisure.
25 years computer security experience probably

Old 08-26-2016, 08:55 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
Those schemes aren't trying to get your personal info. They just try to get you to pay them. So they get paid and get your CC #.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or