U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 PM

5,728 posts, read 6,921,053 times

Advertisements

My turn to ask a question:

Installing Knoppix 7.6.1 to a USB stick...I wanted to use ext2 for the primary (boot) partition, with to logical partitions (ext3) in an extended partition for root and home...but it refuses to install and demands that the primary be formatted as FAT or FAT32.

Why? I don't need Winblows to read it, this is strictly for Linux usage. Why does it 'have' to be a MS compatible format?

Nevermind, I found it, seems to be part of the UEFI specs...

Anybody know if there is any drawback to making it a generic EFI/FAT32 partition as opposed to an MS FAT32?

Last edited by Zymer; 08-25-2016 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM

5,728 posts, read 6,921,053 times
What a PITA. USB stick wouldn't boot in Dell C521. Re-partitioned and re-formatted every which way, still wouldn't boot.

Tested another stick that had Knoppix 6.7 on it, booted fine.

Googlizer showed many people with problems booting USB sticks in various Dell machines, with all kinds of crazy hacks to try to make them work. Shouldn't have to do that.

Finally, decided to analyze the two sticks to see what the difference was- stick that worked, primary partition started at sector 80. Stick that didn't work, primary partition started at sector 2048. Really? could that be the simple answer?

Yep, sure was. Booted 6.7 off CD, fired up gparted and deleted the partition. Created new partition and specified alignment on cylinder boundaries instead of MiB boundaries. Primary partition now starting at sector 63. Booted 7.6.1 off DVD, ran flash install and specified to retain partition/format and overwrite everything but /home.

Boots fine now.

Dell bios must have issues. Have to test with some other machines but I think that is the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers