U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:30 AM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times

Advertisements

you don't need a refresh. You could do a lot by (1) deleting programs you don't use and (2) turning off various "helper" programs that don't need help to start and (3) terminating some auto-update programs. Task manager can tell you what hurts performance and msconfig, now called system configuration, can help you turn of the unneeded stuff.

I'd try that before a clean install, which would nuke all your currently installed programs and custom settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 09:34 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Which is exactly what he needs, in my opinion. 5 years? That's a lot of programs installed and uninstalled over the years leaving bits and pieces of themselves all over the place, never to be removed.
It's worth the trouble.
Heck, in the 'old days' I redid my computer EVERY YEAR.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:30 AM

^ agree. I run a microsoft tool called autoruns regularly looking for errant programs and dll that start automatically. I don't recommend it for casual users because you could turn off things that are helpful if you don't know what you're doing and how the windows registry is organized. And yes, I do registry tweaks when I need to. Amazing what's buried there.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:27 PM

4,752 posts, read 5,599,255 times
Thanks. When I run msconfig, under the "Services" tab, there are a lot of things running, I don't know which ones are necessary and which could be stopped. Whichever I'm sure is useless/unimportant I stopped, but there are still many. Those may be part of the cause of slowdown.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:51 AM

snow, if you post an image here, or a list by name, we can help. If you see a lot, it probably explains your problem.

Caveat, there are two tabs to look at. (1) processes. Only look at the top section, apps. If you don't have Win10, then ignore anything related to services. (2) startup. These are the critical ones.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
snow, if you post an image here, or a list by name, we can help. If you see a lot, it probably explains your problem.

Caveat, there are two tabs to look at. (1) processes. Only look at the top section, apps. If you don't have Win10, then ignore anything related to services. (2) startup. These are the critical ones.
Thanks, I'm taking up your offer . I just got together the screen shots of the looong list of the "services" in msconfig. Just realizing how long the list is gives me headache. You can tell it took me a while... (Please notice there are more than one column) I will do the other lists later (need to rest a bit!).

Edit: added Start Up list.
(I don't think I have McAfee. I remember disabling it, not sure why it's back with check mark)
Attached Thumbnails
Pentium, Core i3, i5, i7  - a couple questions (heat, streaming)-msconfig-services.jpg   Pentium, Core i3, i5, i7  - a couple questions (heat, streaming)-msconfig-startup.jpg  

Last edited by snowmountains; 09-08-2016 at 04:11 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 04:38 PM

This is useful. Looking at the startup tab, I'd disable everything EXCEPT the third, for audio, the 4th 6th and 7th, from Intel, and the Microsoft office one further down. You should also uninstall one of your antivirus programs. Your choice. Running two antivirus programs is a known performance killer because none of them work well with others.

Then reboot. If something is missing that you want, you can re-enable anything by going back to msconfig and unchecking the appropriate box. Most of the things you have are "helpers" that don't help much. The programs will run when you need them.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
This is useful. Looking at the startup tab, I'd disable everything EXCEPT the third, for audio, the 4th 6th and 7th, from Intel, and the Microsoft office one further down. You should also uninstall one of your antivirus programs. Your choice. Running two antivirus programs is a known performance killer because none of them work well with others.

Then reboot. If something is missing that you want, you can re-enable anything by going back to msconfig and unchecking the appropriate box. Most of the things you have are "helpers" that don't help much. The programs will run when you need them.
Thanks. I did as your suggested, but not seeing any difference. I can't believe how I passed the last few years with such a slow computer without complaint. Only after trying the new mini did I realize I could be better off...

Old 09-09-2016, 08:16 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
You can spend hours upon hours trying to speed this thing up... or spend ONE hour and wipe the mother. I'm telling ya'... at some point the time spent simply isn't worth trying to figure out what's going on....

Old 09-09-2016, 11:42 AM

I'm disappointed that the (first) image I created with such efforts is not helpful

Could any geeks tell me which items among the first image above are unnecessary and can be safely disabled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers