U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,699,942 times

Advertisements

Internet before the early 1990s? Doubt it, but I was using ARPANet back in the 1970s, and began programming long before that, just for the record.

You seem to be the silly one with your ISP paranoia, or perhaps you don't understand the difference between tech support and sales? Or business fraud.

Discouraging a poster from using a rational troubleshooting approach is just plain harmful, especially when it's based on petty biases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 01:58 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
No discouragement. Just caution. Telling someone that their ISP (or any business for that matter) is above reproach is like telling people not to use Ccleaner because you don't know what it does. If you don't understand that these things happen - and again I will tell you to browse this forum and find threads regarding the practices used experienced by others - then you must be stuck in your own little world or you only accept views that are your own.

Being egocentric is not flattering. You need to see the world from a perspective other than your own. If you can.

Continue arguing. I'm tired of you already.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No discouragement. Just caution. Telling someone that their ISP (or any business for that matter) is above reproach is like telling people not to use Ccleaner because you don't know what it does. If you don't understand that these things happen - and again I will tell you to browse this forum and find threads regarding the practices used experienced by others - then you must be stuck in your own little world or you only accept views that are your own.

Being egocentric is not flattering. You need to see the world from a perspective other than your own. If you can.

Continue arguing. I'm tired of you already.
"Above reproach" ??? Your words, not mine. Maybe you can be a bit more accurate in the future, and ask CCleaner if they'll give you a commission. And stop jumping to conclusions about who knows what.

Meanwhile, I will continue to challenge you when you give bad advice, which seems to be frequently.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 PM

If that response is for me you're wasting your time. I've put you on my ignore list. But keep at it if it makes you feel better.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:25 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,488,932 times
Well, to get back to the subject at hand, I tried something else the last couple of days. Instead of shutting the laptop off every time I put it aside, I put it to sleep without shutting down. When I started back up again next day, everything was fine; websites came up fast, etc.etc. So this seems to mean it's only when I'm starting up the computer from scratch and it has to find the router, that the trouble appears. Is this another clue?

Old 09-01-2016, 11:01 AM

First place to check is what runs at startup. If you have Ccleaner there is a place in the Tools menu to look at what starts and you can disable or "turn off" items for testing. Look for obvious probgams that don't belong there. Disable one, restart, and test. If there is no change re-enable it, disable the next one that is suspect, restart.... If there is an item there that is causing the problem it will go away when that one is disabled. Unless you need it you can uninstall it.

Look at the bottom right corner of that screen. You can send the list to a text file which means you can copy/paste it to a post here if you feel the need for help with what the programs are.

A reprint from another post I made:

Ccleaner

First - before you run Ccleaner look through the left menu. There are likely some items you don't want to remove immediately. I'd mark the obvious stuff, but he might want to keep Recently typed urls, Recent documents, History, etc. Depends on how he uses his computer.

Note that there is an Applications tab with it's own list of items. There is a lot of control possible in this program.

Look in Options. You can do Secure deletion (I do). You can Wipe free space (I do). Keep in mind that these will take more time. Do not wipe free space on an SSD drive. Ccleaner will warn about this. Check Advanced for rules regarding the age of files to delete (Older than 24 hours or not).

Tools/Startup menu will allow you to remove startup items or disable them so you can test and re-enable if needed. It also will do the same for scheduled tasks and context menu.

Tools/Uninstall does what you expect.

Tools/Browser plugin does what you expect.

Expect the initial run of Ccleaner to take a long time. You might want to go to lunch. Expect it to take longer if you opt for Secure file deletion on the Options menu.

When you are done with all that run a program like Defraggler to compact the data on the disk.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:24 AM

"When you are done with all that run a program like Defraggler to compact the data on the disk."

If you're running under Win7 or 10, Windows has a built in de-fragmenter that runs in background. No need to do anything on your part. Especially if you have an SSD for a main drive, just leave things alone.

You don't need CCleaner to do your troubleshooting. Windows has a tool built in, made to order for such troubleshooting. Start the task manager (ctl-alt-delete, then pick it from the menu), go to the startup tab. You can turn things on and off from there.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:54 AM

1,952 posts, read 3,363,869 times
Yesterday, my internet was slow on my two Android devices, smartphone and tablet, but not on my desktop, so seemed to mean that the issue was with the wireless/router, not with my internet service.

A while back, I had changed the network channel that my router uses from auto-detect to 3 (due to a wifi connectivity issue with the new smartphone). Yesterday, I changed it back to auto-detect and everything's good now.

So maybe the OP's wireless settings need to be checked?
10 Useful Options You Can Configure In Your Router’s Web Interface

Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 AM

^ Good point. Keep in mind too that channel selection is tricky. There are only 3 independent channels of the 11 possible in the US, 1, 6 and 11. Setting your channel to 3 will mean mutual interference with 1 and 6. Worse, auto-negotiation protocols don't work with the in between channels.

I use a program called wi-fi analyzer, a free download for android, to see who's where (what channel) and how strong. Useful tool for solving interference. How do you know if you might have an interference problem? If you can see more than a handful of other networks, you probably do.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:09 PM

1,952 posts, read 3,363,869 times
^^I do have the Wifi analyzer app. It seems that whatever channel I use, the app says that any of several others are better, then as soon as I switch to one of the channels that it suggested, it says that the new one is no good, I should switch to another, including the one I just left. The grass is always greener on the other side of the router, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or