U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:45 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,699,942 times

Advertisements

^ Ran into the same problem, which made me shift to 5G. Actually it was a bit more complicated. My biggest problem was in my TV room, where I had way too many signals, some from my own devices. I ended up running a powerline ethernet run to that room, then using another device to make a wireless point of presence in that room. It sure overwhelmed the interference! Had to do the POP because chromecast is only wireless, as is my DVD player.

We moved earlier this year to a more remote location where I have no other signals, so (wifi) life is easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 04:18 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,488,932 times
Well, I now have to say that everything is perfect, without me doing anything! Wireless is fast, starts up and finds the laptops easily and quickly (I'm almost afraid to post this in case I'm tempting the devil). The absolute only thing I did was to quit shutting down the laptop at night, so that it stayed on for a day or two. That should have had no effect on anything, and now I don't even do that anymore.

I have to conclude it was BT giving me problems because it's the same router, same two laptops and one tablet, same landline. Or maybe they monitor these forums!

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 AM

Am bumping this back to the top, because the same thing started happening again. I contacted BT by chat (third time a charm?) and she had me change the channels. This had absolutely no effect (but you never know this till you get offline and try to start up again next day). So now I have "chatted" with three different BT techs, one who had me restart the router (naturally that worked fine for the rest of that day), one who had me reset the router and told me all my troubles would be solved and I'd be very happy. Next day same story. This last tech walked me through changing the channels because she said they were set to wrong channels and this was my problem. Worked fine until next day.

Now I am back to cutting the power off and back on the modem/router every morning when I want to get online, and again later in the day when I want to get on again.

Is there a way to talk to a real person on BT without holding on the phone and spending $$$ while waiting for them? (I have a weekends only plan).

Thanks for any more thoughts.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:53 AM

2,210 posts, read 1,252,830 times
I had the same problem. I first swapped out my modem, which did nothing. Then bought a new wifi router. Still the same problem. So I called my cable provider to check the signal coming into the house. Turned out the drop line was failing before it entered the house. They also advised my to change out any splitters I had inside the house. Been close to eight months now, and all is right in my internet world.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:46 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Am bumping this back to the top, because the same thing started happening again. I contacted BT by chat (third time a charm?) and she had me change the channels. This had absolutely no effect (but you never know this till you get offline and try to start up again next day). So now I have "chatted" with three different BT techs, one who had me restart the router (naturally that worked fine for the rest of that day), one who had me reset the router and told me all my troubles would be solved and I'd be very happy. Next day same story. This last tech walked me through changing the channels because she said they were set to wrong channels and this was my problem. Worked fine until next day.

Now I am back to cutting the power off and back on the modem/router every morning when I want to get online, and again later in the day when I want to get on again.

Is there a way to talk to a real person on BT without holding on the phone and spending $$$ while waiting for them? (I have a weekends only plan).

Thanks for any more thoughts.
Consumer gateways (combo modem/routers) are for the most part garbage. Simple solution assuming your incoming signal is fine, see if you can get the gateway put into bridge or passthrough mode, which will change it to modem only, and buy your own router.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Consumer gateways (combo modem/routers) are for the most part garbage. Simple solution assuming your incoming signal is fine, see if you can get the gateway put into bridge or passthrough mode, which will change it to modem only, and buy your own router.
Thanks, Dave - my eyes glazed over a bit trying to understand your comment, but in that regard, twice I did go on BT's (British telecom company) website for troubleshooting and got as far as "there seems to be some trouble in the signal to your house; we're checking that." At that point (twice) the internet completely shut down and I haven't tried this again yet - probably should.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:42 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
Internet shut down because they did a reset. Makes it look like they are doing something to fix the problem when they aren't. Years ago we had a similar problem. They finally sent someone out and replaced the cable from the yard to the house.

Fixed it. Rabbits had been chewing on it.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Internet shut down because they did a reset. Makes it look like they are doing something to fix the problem when they aren't. Years ago we had a similar problem. They finally sent someone out and replaced the cable from the yard to the house.

Fixed it. Rabbits had been chewing on it.
Did they replace it with hot tamali flavored cable?

Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
That would have been interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or