U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:31 PM

4,241 posts, read 12,760,009 times

Advertisements

New occurrence for me yesterday. I have no screen shots to share because I didn't know what I was facing and wanted to act fast.

I was researching Indian tribes in Massachusetts and found an interesting site. Nothing about it raised a red flag. I was reading along and came to a link to a map, which I clicked seeing/feeling no reason not to.

Sh** hit the fan. The background turned blue and the entire center of my monitor was a white page full of words, starting out in bold:

"Comcast Customer your IP {and it gave an IP address which I barely looked at} has been blocked!"

It went on to say the ability to close down the page and my browser had been made unavailable (which I tried and it was true - my bottom task bar was gone, too), more blah-blah-blah words followed by the only way to unblock my IP and return control of my computer to me was to call an 888 number (which I didn't write down in my haste to act).

The distracting part was that all the while my computer was beeping a constant alarm at me.

Most of us here on city-data's computer forum are savvy enough not to call that phone number! But I am sure such a thing does prompt many to call ... and I haven't any idea what would happen after that, maybe something awful or maybe nothing.

I was able to do Ctrl-Alt-Del and shut down. When I rebooted I ran a virus scan and Malwarebytes and nothing came up.

So, I'm guessing it was a different type of pop-up, and since I didn't kowtow to it, I'm free and clear.

Anyone else ever experienced this type of thing before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 02:02 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,699,942 times
poisoned site for sure. If you first turned off javascript, I bet you'd go to the site without the bad stuff. But I would not risk it. Javascript gives the website host all sorts of capabilities, such as asking you to confirm exiting a page.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:08 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
Surf with Firefox and NoScript and you won't get caught like that.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:53 PM

4,624 posts, read 3,952,275 times
For others, you probably use the window key and restarted your computer.

You should also go to the windows uninstall program and sort your programs by date and if you have a new program that you did not install, uninstall the program.

Also go to your browser and see if any new extensions have been added or if your default start page has been changed.

I agree your virus may not find anything. I would like to know how they generate the warning. My guess is they use java and modify the page code. This must go away when you close your computer since it does not reappear.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:18 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,699,942 times
java IS part of the page code. It is executed when you open the page. It will also be in your browser cache, so clear that.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:09 PM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

The distracting part was that all the while my computer was beeping a constant alarm at me.
They use background audio loaded with the page.

Quote:
and I haven't any idea what would happen after that,
They ask for credit card number...

Quote:
I was able to do Ctrl-Alt-Del and shut down.
The problem with these pages is they have a dialog pop up, you can't close the page with dialog box open Soon as you close the dialog box another pops up so you're in a loop preventing you from being able to close the page.

When you use Ctrl-Alt-Del you can just close the browser instead of shutting down the computer.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:26 PM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
My guess is they use java and modify the page code.
Note that Java and Javascript are two completely different things.

Java is similar to Flash or Silverlight. It's a third party plugin for browsers and may be used by some programs. 99.9% of people do not need it because very few websites or programs use it. Since it's a potential vector for exploitation the best practice is to go into your add/remove programs and remove every instance you can find. If for any reason you come across a website that requires it you can reinstall it, I haven't had one require it in years and probably wouldn't install it even if it was required.

It's not going to be very long before before Flash and Silverlight will be in same boat, they filled a gap in the past such as for video content but that is no longer an issue with HTML5 which is being used by many websites now.

Javascript is part of the HTML spec and supported by all browsers out of the box. This allows a website developer to execute things on the clients computer. For example when you click the smiley to insert it into a post that uses Javascript. Most modern websites are heavily reliant on it because there is lot of cool stuff you can do with it and it is even utilitarian because it can for example help save bandwidth for both the user and the site which can be important if your on a phone with small bandwidth cap.

Unfortunately it can also be used for exploitation such as these pages you can't close.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:16 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,731,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl
I was able to do Ctrl-Alt-Del and shut down. When I rebooted I ran a virus scan and Malwarebytes and nothing came up.
Im glad everything was OK for ya!!

Old 08-29-2016, 05:26 AM

4,241 posts, read 12,760,009 times
This has been a great discussion everyone.

I have had the pop ups you described, thecoalman, the ones that are in a loop, but not in a very long time. I'm thinking it's Avast, which I've been using for the past few years, that has been keeping a watchful eye. On the rare occasions when I've unknowingly clicked on a nefarious link, Avast has jumped in with "a threat has been detected", but not this time.

The fact it wasn't a pop up box and was instead a full screen "takeover" is what threw me.

Before using Ctrl-Alt-Del I did contemplate a few things such as using the Windows key to see if I could get my taskbar back, and then go to Task Manager to see what services and processes were running or to shut off Internet Explorer or disconnect from the internet.

But I decided to shut down altogether. What I didn't mention is that I rebooted in safemode.

rjm1cc - I did take a look around my computer for anything new or changed on 8/27 (the day of occurrence), and other than in expected places I didn't find anything. I did clear my browsing history and most cookies.

Interesting about java. I don't remember for what reason exactly, but a couple of weeks ago I did have to reinstall it. So, maybe a combo of Avast and the nonexistence of java on my machine is why I haven't had any annoyances like I did on the 27th.

OpanaPointer - I do use both Firefox and IE. It all depends upon what I'm doing. Some sites I visit work better with Firefox, but some work better with IE.

One last curious question -- does a person's IP address have some sort of indicator regarding which internet provider is used? The fact that it said "Comcast Customer ...." made me think ummmm because I do have Comcast.

At least all this was just a brief annoyance and I didn't have any real problems, and have had none since.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:31 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Seen it a bunch of times. I've had people call me and I just have them do the fastest and simplest possible thing: unplug your PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or