Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 03:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times

Advertisements

First Google hit searching "remove windows hotkeys". Be nice if it's true. I haven't tried it so I don't know.

Quote:
The windows Hotkeys are all combinations of the Windows Key + something else, for example Windows + L will switch users. The CTRL+ALT+DownArrow is a Graphics Hotkey. To disable them, simply right click anywhere on your screen and select Graphics Options and then Hot Keys and then Disable. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The problem doesnt happen all the time so its hard to figure it out.
the computer is an 8 year old Dell product full size with tower,to try to solve the problem that occurs in all aspects of operation i've recently changed keyboard and monitor with no luck.
Running windows Vista. not sure when its happening or where the text is going as when typing i'll occasionally look up at what i'm writing and sometime some or all of the text is gone its just disappeared,cursor is stable.The computer has been shut down and rebooted however the gremlin is still there on occasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its a wired keyboard. Several times i've posted something and then realize significant portions of the text arent there and have to go to edit to type in the missing text.
Bad connection at the PC end of the cable? 8 years old makes me wonder. Check for loose or bent connectors.

If there is a way to use an adapter for a different connection at the PC that might be worth a look. That way you avoid the connector you use now completely.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:32 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
There are many hotkey combinations, some no longer documented. And they don't all use the windows key. They don't all use the control key or the alt key either. Try shift-delete sometime for cut and shift-insert for paste. ctl-insert for copy to clipboard.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:35 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
jambo101 ... I'm guessing you're using a mouse, right? I was having a similar issue with my laptop, and it was because of the mouse (wired) which had taken on a mind of its own, moving the cursor to random places. I'd be typing along and find my words put elsewhere and chunks of texts gone. I never noticed the cursor looking abnormal in any way. So very strange and incomprehensible.

I got a new mouse (wireless this time), and none of the issues has returned. Wouldn't it be great if your missing text problem was fixed simply by getting a new mouse (wired or wireless)?

Old 09-25-2016, 02:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Thanks i'll give it a try. its the logical next step as the keyboard and monitor have recently been replaced.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:58 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,467 times
I thought that I was the only one to do this. In my case, I know that my fingers are engaging shortcuts but I don't know how to stop it either. I try to type more slowly. It seems to help.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:34 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
City-Data and other websites are often using (a lot of) scripts. I have noticed that when I have a number of windows/tabs open to various pages of various sites, computer response will start 'dragging', including looking up to find the text in a post window is far behind what I'm actually typing. Stopping and waiting results in the text eventually appearing.

In the past, I used to just turn javascript right off, completely, and that would eliminate the problem. However, the more recent versions of FireFox eliminated this option. Now I use an add-on called NoScript that lets me selectively enable scripts, which improves performance considerably.

Scripting can really kill performance, especially if you have only a single or dual processor, and or a low-speed processor. In order to cope with it you have to either disable scripting, or get a faster multi-core processor.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:42 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
sometimes it just happens

Old 10-08-2016, 11:43 PM

Evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers