Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Which brands have you all had good experiences with that stay cool even with all day use?
Toshiba for me, I have never had an issue and been using them for years & years.
HP sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
P, this isn't confusing, except for the fact that there are many meanings to the terms gaming and gamer.
But he says his gaming needs are very low end. But then he wants a card that can do VR.
Make up our minds.

I suppose his best option would be a desktop. Get a lower end card in it for now, and upgrade to the 1070/1080 when the price comes down next year.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:39 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
^ agree, but as I mentioned, VR is in its formative stages. I suspect, for reasons already mentioned, that VR will be much more like a video stream than a game. Games are rendering everying from code. Lots of pixels to push, lots of physics (i.e. complicated math) to process before pushing the pixels, hence the computation demands. I'd wager that VR will have none of this, except for some high end games that have VR output.

So my bet is that most VR will not be processor or graphics intensive. Heck, google had demonstration VR running off of any smartphone. Remember google cardboard?

So I think the best option is either a laptop or desktop with onboard (i.e. intel or AMD) graphics. Desktop with the right slots, since not all can take an add on graphics card, might be the safest option, since you could add the card if you ever needed it, but might not be the most convenient. It depends.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Remember Cardboard? Heck yes. Still have it.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Do you think I would be better of with a desktop instead of a laptop?
Have you considered the mini desktops?

All my past computers, if had any serious problem, the problem was overheating, or fan broken. So, like you, I'm very concerned about that.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:15 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You are very confusing Vanguardisle. Your requirements on the one hand are very low. "Graphic art, not games". You could EASILY get by with a gtx 950m - 965m. Hell you could get by with much less then that. My 560M laptop can do Photoshop and Illustrator and not break a sweat. Seriously. Just about any graphic card with 2 MB of memory can graphic art.

But then you talk about VR. Well, are you going to get into that? If you plan to, plan your build around that. The 970/R9 290 is the minimum for that. And for VR I believe Occulus demands a desktop (or that Asus with the 1080).

Why don't you give us a ballpark figure of what you're willing to spend? We love shopping with others money.
You have asked the important questions I think how much would I be willing to spend on this? Well there is a large range. Anywhere from $500 for a refurbished or used computer, to $1000 for a new one if I really fall in love with it. Not willing to spend any more than that. I really just wanted a computer that would be ready if I decided to try something new like animation or video work.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 09-29-2016 at 06:27 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Have you considered the mini desktops?

All my past computers, if had any serious problem, the problem was overheating, or fan broken. So, like you, I'm very concerned about that.
Yes I have looked at most options leading to confusion Mini computers are very cute. I like them.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
But he says his gaming needs are very low end. But then he wants a card that can do VR.
Make up our minds.

I suppose his best option would be a desktop. Get a lower end card in it for now, and upgrade to the 1070/1080 when the price comes down next year.

She not he lol. I was hoping not to have to upgrade too soon which is why I was considering the gtx1070.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ agree, but as I mentioned, VR is in its formative stages. I suspect, for reasons already mentioned, that VR will be much more like a video stream than a game. Games are rendering everying from code. Lots of pixels to push, lots of physics (i.e. complicated math) to process before pushing the pixels, hence the computation demands. I'd wager that VR will have none of this, except for some high end games that have VR output.

So my bet is that most VR will not be processor or graphics intensive. Heck, google had demonstration VR running off of any smartphone. Remember google cardboard?

So I think the best option is either a laptop or desktop with onboard (i.e. intel or AMD) graphics. Desktop with the right slots, since not all can take an add on graphics card, might be the safest option, since you could add the card if you ever needed it, but might not be the most convenient. It depends.

I just remember the sad sort of feeling when your computer gets older and the specs are obsolete and you think about how much money you spent on it. Remember I owned macs. It is not the vr oculus I like so much as the requirements they came out with for it.I figure if I buy a computer like that meets those requirements it will not be obsolete for a very long time.

I used to owin desktops but have gotten used to the portability of laptops, even if I just want to move from one room to another. I can't do that easily with a desktop. I do miss the larger screen of a desktop though .

When you say onboard to you mean dedicated or integrated? Sorry my geek knowledge is lacking.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 AM

OK well pricing helps. I'm going to go ahead and recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/K501UW-AB78-1...=gaming+laptop

or something very similar to it.
Latest gen Intel processor
15" Matte display
GTX 960M (an excellent video card)
HDMI/VGA out to connect to a monitor when you want a big screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers