Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:18 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,880,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
It declared data rate. In reality its less.
3x3 means that there are 3 transmitter antennas and 3 receiver antennas for WiFi signals. It improves the reliability and speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 06:11 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,051,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Guess what! I think I finally decided on a laptop! I think I'm going to get the Dell Inspiron 5000 15" with an i5-7200U processor, 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM, 1 TB 5400 rpm hard drive, Windows 10 Home, 1920 x 1080 resolution touch screen and an 802.11ac network adapter. It also has an HDMI port and two USB 3.0 ports. And Bluetooth 4.2. And a built in 720p IR camera. The price is $650 brand new.
Here's an HP Envy with an I7 Kaby Lake and 256GB M.2 SSD and 2x2 wifi NIC for $699:

HP ENVY Laptop -15t touch | HP® Official Store

Old 10-19-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Here's an HP Envy with an I7 Kaby Lake and 256GB M.2 SSD and 2x2 wifi NIC for $699:

HP ENVY Laptop -15t touch | HP® Official Store
I'm done with HP. They're on my schit list. After owning this HP Pavilion dm4-2180us for five years, with failed built in devices...NEVER AGAIN! Also, I think HP laptops are ugly.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,553,973 times
Quote:
3x3 means that there are 3 transmitter antennas and 3 receiver antennas for WiFi signals. It improves the reliability and speed.
I've used plenty of ... sorry, 20 years in IT and I've never heard this 1x1 2x2 3x3 terminology... wifi adapters in my life and trust me when I tell you, you won't notice a difference in a "unrelialbe and slow" wifi adapter that only has a.... 1x1... configuration.
Buy that laptop. If it REALLY does prove that unreliable and slow, as Alec said, an adapter is pretty cheap.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,570,806 times
Okay, I think I understand now. I couldn't for the life of me figure this out.

Someone has told the OP, or they have read somewhere, that some "receivers" (in the computer) have multiple antennas. Do I have the right? Or are there supposedly 3 receiving antennas in the router? Maybe I don't have it figured out after all.

OP, where ever you got this information forget it. And don't pay any attention to the person that told you it was a fact. It's not.

Like Peregrine I've been in the business a long time - retired now though.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:43 PM

Based on what I know, a router has antennas that transmit and receive signals to and from the wireless adapter built into the PC (unless an external adapter is connected). Wireless adapters have a certain number of signal transmitters/receptors and wireless routers also have a certain number of signal transmitters/receptors (antennas). My router, for example, has six antennas; three for receiving signals and three for transmitting signals. This means that the router is capable of 3x3 signal transmission. However, my current PC has one signal transmitter and one signal receptor. This means that the PC is capable of 1x1 transmission. So, when I talk about the more premium laptops (such as the Dell XPS) that have Killer wireless adapters built-in, which are capable of 2x2 signal transmission, it's considered an improvement over 1x1.

How can you guys not understand this?!

Old 10-20-2016, 03:30 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,051,401 times
Quote:
Based on what I know, a router has antennas that transmit and receive signals to and from the wireless adapter built into the PC (unless an external adapter is connected). Wireless adapters have a certain number of signal transmitters/receptors and wireless routers also have a certain number of signal transmitters/receptors (antennas). My router, for example, has six antennas; three for receiving signals and three for transmitting signals. This means that the router is capable of 3x3 signal transmission. However, my current PC has one signal transmitter and one signal receptor. This means that the PC is capable of 1x1 transmission. So, when I talk about the more premium laptops (such as the Dell XPS) that have Killer wireless adapters built-in, which are capable of 2x2 signal transmission, it's considered an improvement over 1x1.

How can you guys not understand this?!
You're missing the point ... what exactly is the gain from 1x1 to 2x2 to 3x3 and why are you so concerned over it when your use case is so basic?

How 2x2, 2x3, 3x3 configs affect WLAN performance | Network World

Old 10-20-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You're missing the point ... what exactly is the gain from 1x1 to 2x2 to 3x3 and why are you so concerned over it when your use case is so basic?

How 2x2, 2x3, 3x3 configs affect WLAN performance | Network World
I just wanted to learn about it more I guess, and wanted to know if it's worth pursuing, but it's probably not. I am satisfied with my current 1x1 adapter.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:16 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,152,771 times
Quote:
I just wanted to learn about it more I guess, and wanted to know if it's worth pursuing, but it's probably not. I am satisfied with my current 1x1 adapter.
The power receiver and the transmitter power can not depend on the number of antennas. As you can see in USB WIFI adapter on the picture no external antennas. Also, one transmitter can replace the three since its easier to increase its power than do the three different. Also, power and speed are two different things. There are several standards WIFI and have different data rates.
See more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

The standards dont regulate the number of antennas and the number of transmitters.
I advise you to examine specifications and technical parameters before purchasing to make right choice.
In any case, its useful for you.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:23 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,152,771 times
Quote:
My router, for example, has six antennas; three for receiving signals and three for transmitting signals. This means that the router is capable of 3x3 signal transmission. However, my current PC has one signal transmitter and one signal receptor.
Please give me the model name of your router. The first time I've heard that home routers have separate receiving and transmitting antennas. Just dont understand why this design was implementd. This breaks my concept of data broadcast through the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers