Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:58 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times

Advertisements

^ see my post 6, first link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 05:39 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Here are the images.
The first three are what we have always had on Vista. We insert a disc, or plug in the digital camera and the window opens in the middle of the page.
See comment #9 for the other photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Importing digital camera photos.-eruntitled.png   Importing digital camera photos.-seuntitled.png   Importing digital camera photos.-reuntitled.png  

Old 11-11-2016, 05:42 PM

Here are the settings in Windows 7. But when we insert a disc or plug in a camera we do not get the windows to choose play or view in a folder, etc.

We have to go to the computer > and click on the drive to play the video or find the camera photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Importing digital camera photos.-7-settings-untitled.jpg   Importing digital camera photos.-7-camera-untitled.jpg  

Old 11-11-2016, 07:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I know you've done step one. Have you done step two?

Quote:
Step 1: Turn auto play on
Open AutoPlay by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking AutoPlay.
To turn AutoPlay on, select the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices check box.
Click Save.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oPlay-settings
Step 2
Click the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.
Click Run as administrator.
At the command prompt, type net start shellhwdetection, and then press ENTER.
Restart your computer
Windows Auto Play dialog box does not appear, cannot add camera to - Microsoft Community

Old 11-15-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

We did step two.
This was entered: net start shellhwdetection

That got us another message. Then we restarted while the window you see below was still open.

Restart and no auto play after a DVD was inserted in the drive. We can play the video by clicking the drive. No auto play window opens.
Attached Thumbnails
Importing digital camera photos.-cccccuntitled.jpg   Importing digital camera photos.-untitled.jpg  

Old 11-15-2016, 11:07 AM

I wonder if at some point a program was installed that does what you see. I know that some brands of cameras, etc will do this as part of the install.

Grasping at straws here. Wish I could sit in front of your computers and do some snooping...

Old 11-15-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I wonder if at some point a program was installed that does what you see. I know that some brands of cameras, etc will do this as part of the install.

Can you explain what you mean by "do what you see."

The pc was acquired from a friend. We downloaded very few programs. We downloaded Infanview but that never interfered with auto play of a Vista system. We downloaded Google Chrome and also installed Office. They never prevented auto play either.
The guy around the corner has Windows 7 and his did not open either but his had not been turned on by step one. After that his works. Our digital cameras are old but they are recognized when plugged in but we have to open the drive and click the folder to get to another folder than contains the images.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:17 PM

The loading of the pictures. This part. To me it's not part of the normal Windows response.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:22 PM

Edit: This is the page that linked to the following. http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...-7-64-bit.html

Some things I found

AutoPlay - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

And this note on the following link.
Quote:
EXAMPLE:
If you disable AutoPlay for all non-volume devices and you connect a digital camera, the device stage or selected action will no longer open automatically even if set to do so in the AutoPlay settings.
This might be the answer.

AutoPlay - Enable or Disable for Non-volume Devices - Windows 7 Help Forums

Old 11-15-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
The loading of the pictures. This part. To me it's not part of the normal Windows response.

That image was from Vista. When we connect the same device to the Windows 7 USB port, the camera is recognized, see the yellow pointer in the image. But the auto play window where we have choices does not open.

I'll check the other links comment 19. The previous owner of the system said auto play did work. All we have added as far as programs are Irfanview, Office, and Google Chrome browser.

Go back to comment #1 and see the image. That is what we have on Vista and we choose import of images and the image you just posted is what happens during import.
It worked that way for 8 years on Vista and even XP.
Windows 7 we have a neighbor and his works and ours does not.

Last edited by howard555; 11-15-2016 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers