Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:09 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times

Advertisements

I have a laptop, (msi ) and it's annoying the hell out of me. Lately, every time I hit the backspace button, signs such as // and other signs comes up, and the computer opens a new window "chrome help" page. Sometimes it stops on its own,almost like I hit a magic key to make it stop.But all of a sudden it's back to acting up again.

This is the page that keeps popping up whenever I hit "backspace".
can't hit backspace key without new window opens  up.-keybpard.jpg

Anybody have any idea what is going on. This all started maybe a month ago.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 07:27 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Try to hold that key down for 5-10 seconds... Is the problem solved?
Sticky keys may have been turned on by mistake.

Someone else had same problem, so you could try this:
https://productforums.google.com/for...me/pbt94bHeoEs

or you can download this extension:
http://www.chromeextensions.org/appe...eansbackspace/

Old 11-18-2016, 05:27 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,692,695 times
Yes maybe so Elnina!!!

Sticky keys gets on somehow on my computer AND I DONT KNOW how to stop it!! (All of a sudden the keyboard does wierd things..... I just start hitting all keys @ once and it stops) -- I HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT STARTS!!!!!!!! (I have deleted all keyboard access entries from the reg months ago and it still happens!!)

Glass_of_merlot: Is that page that chrome is taking you to in your history list for your current session? If it is,it may be why chrome is taking you to it....... (It sees that page as a special page and when you hit BACKSPACE,it takes you to it instead of the last URL you were on)

We might be able to help each other.... Is Chrome an IE add-on like MyIE2 is?? (Does Chrome work with your IE settings??)

Maybe we can fix this for both of us!!

EDIT:

I just tried an experiment and opened a link that I thought would probably have HIGH STATUS in MyIE2 as its in the HELP menu (MyIE2 Help) and then I went to some other pages and then hit back and it didnt take me to the help page,it took me back ONE page..... But I wonder if thats what chrome is doing?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:57 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,761,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes maybe so Elnina!!!

Sticky keys gets on somehow on my computer AND I DONT KNOW how to stop it!! (All of a sudden the keyboard does wierd things..... I just start hitting all keys @ once and it stops) -- I HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT STARTS!!!!!!!! (I have deleted all keyboard access entries from the reg months ago and it still happens!!)

Glass_of_merlot: Is that page that chrome is taking you to in your history list for your current session? If it is,it may be why chrome is taking you to it....... (It sees that page as a special page and when you hit BACKSPACE,it takes you to it instead of the last URL you were on)

We might be able to help each other.... Is Chrome an IE add-on like MyIE2 is?? (Does Chrome work with your IE settings??)

Maybe we can fix this for both of us!!

EDIT:

I just tried an experiment and opened a link that I thought would probably have HIGH STATUS in MyIE2 as its in the HELP menu (MyIE2 Help) and then I went to some other pages and then hit back and it didnt take me to the help page,it took me back ONE page..... But I wonder if thats what chrome is doing?
Try going to control panel > Accessibility > uncheck the boxes under each one, then go to each settings and uncheck use shortcut

Old 11-18-2016, 11:19 AM

13,520 posts, read 21,994,134 times
What does your malware scan say?

Old 11-18-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2
Try going to control panel > Accessibility > uncheck the boxes under each one, then go to each settings and uncheck use shortcut
Thank you thelope..... I dont have an Accessibility folder in Control panel (Its not installed) and thats why I cant understand why all these options ARE ENABLED!!! (I have no idea what triggers them)

I suppose I could use my SFC program and extract Access.cpl from the cab files and open that and see if I could disable all of that crap,I dunno....

Thank you thelope!

EDIT:

I extracted the file,clicked on it but nothing happens...... (Hmmmmmmm) Maybe ill just leave it alone.....I dont wanna end up hurting anything!

Last edited by Dude111; 11-18-2016 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 06:03 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,761,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have a laptop, (msi ) and it's annoying the hell out of me. Lately, every time I hit the backspace button, signs such as // and other signs comes up, and the computer opens a new window "chrome help" page. Sometimes it stops on its own,almost like I hit a magic key to make it stop.But all of a sudden it's back to acting up again.

This is the page that keeps popping up whenever I hit "backspace".
Attachment 177510

Anybody have any idea what is going on. This all started maybe a month ago.

Thanks!

As Jaypee said, check for malware, did you install anything a month ago?
Windows 7 Help & Support Pop Ups Won't Stop! - Microsoft Community

Dude111, I'd install the the accessibility options using add and remove windows components, check/change the settings then uninstall them.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:01 PM

Yea perhaps bud

Old 11-18-2016, 11:15 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times
Thank you all. I am not understanding a lot of what you guys are saying. I need some time to follow some of the advice I have been given. I did run a virus scan and it turned out no threats. When I hit backspace to erase something I wrote I sometimes does so successfully and many times that damn page pops up. But I have some options to look into now thanks to you guys.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:24 PM

8,221 posts, read 13,299,623 times
Is the issue still occurring when you are browsing sober?

On a more serious note, always use another browser to see if the issue occurred with that browser as well or not:

- If it did, whether it is a system setting that was turned on by accident or malware related, it is system wide.

- If another browser such as Firefox or IE is not exhibiting the issue, then it is more than likely isolated to the browser in use, whether it is a setting of the browser or an add-on that was installed.

...but my money is still on that extra "glass_of_Merlot"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers