Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:47 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,481,191 times

Advertisements

I need to open a file that contains a book. I need to edit the book, and then send it in a PDF file to the printing company to have more books printed.

I have the files on a UBS 3.0 sandisk. I also copied the files to an external hard drive, which I would

prefer to use so I do not screw up the original files that are on the USB 3.0 sandisk.

When I tried to open an AESIR file I get this Mozilla Firefox web link:

When I open that link it states the following:

All of your files are encrypted with RSA-2048 and AES-128 ciphers.

More information about the RSA and AES can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(cryptosystem) and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...ption_Standard

Decrypting of your files is only possible with the private key and decrypt program, which is

on our secret server. To receive your private key: follow these steps:

Download and install Tora Browser: https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html

After a successful installation, run the browser and wait for initialization.

Type in the address bar: (not posting this for privacy reasons)

Follow the instructions on the site.

Your personal ID is: (not posting this for privacy reasons)

-Somewhere in all of these files, it mentions to only use the Tora Web Browser period, it sounds like they

mean forever. No more Chrome no more Mozilla Firefox.

Seeking advice from someone familiar with this type of computer task. I am running Windows 7

Professional with Office 2016. I have Libre office also.

Thank you for any advice before I attempt this.

Last edited by Mugsy; 11-28-2016 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 05:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Where did you get the file from?
I think you got a case of malware/ransomware.
Unfortunately, you're going to have to restore your system to a known good/untainted state and then install Malwarebytes to , hopefully prevent future infections.

Last edited by jaypee; 11-28-2016 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 06:08 PM

I have the files on a san disk usb. I also have the files in an external hard drive.

I have not opened them per the instructions yet, therefore my PC is not infected.

I was given these files when I bought an established book publishing company that has drop ship accounts, an Amazon store, and an eCommerce.

Escrow closed on 11-10-2016.

I have contacted the previous Owner this morning, but have not heard back from him yet.

So, while I patiently wait for him to email me back, I decided to turn to this forum for help. I heard from him earlier today regarding a separate issue pertaining to porting the 1-800# that is tied to the eCommerce.

I am running very low on certain inventory.

The former owner has been holding my hand and training me these past 2 weeks on other aspects of running this business. Not like he abandoned me. He has his own business and a wife and kids also.

I have the books in separate files on the san disk. I accidentally erased the inventory page, the sales data in Excel and 2 different files containing logos.

I cannot afford to accidentally delete the book files; there are 25 different books = 25 files.

Thanks for any insight while I wait!

Old 11-28-2016, 06:47 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
I have the files on a san disk usb. I also have the files in an external hard drive.

I have not opened them per the instructions yet, therefore my PC is not infected.

I was given these files when I bought an established book publishing company that has drop ship accounts, an Amazon store, and an eCommerce.

Escrow closed on 11-10-2016.

I have contacted the previous Owner this morning, but have not heard back from him yet.

So, while I patiently wait for him to email me back, I decided to turn to this forum for help.
Thanks for any insight while I wait!
There is no help for you here. The person (previous owner?) needs to give you the key(s) to decrypt the files. Without the key(s), the files are useless to you (unless you happen to know someone in the NSA or similar agency with enough computing power to crack them for you, and the agency has nothing important to do for the time it takes to crack 2048bit encryption).

Old 11-28-2016, 06:52 PM

I have the keys.

I am scared that is all.

Want my hand held, only the first time.

Then I will be proficient.

I am not very computer savvy. I did learn how to use the import text wizard last week with Access.

I have never heard of that web browser. I guess I can google it.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
I have the keys.

I am scared that is all.

Want my hand held, only the first time.

Then I will be proficient.

I am not very computer savvy. I did learn how to use the import text wizard last week with Access.

I have never heard of that web browser. I guess I can google it.
Ah, well then, that's a different kettle of horses.

As long as you still have the original files on the USB stick, you can screw with the ones that were copied to disk all you want...and if you mess something up, just copy them again.

I have not used SanDisk's encryption, I have something else (using Linux).

The Tor browser is legit, no need to fear downloading it. You can have as many browsers as you want, but only the Tor browser can be used to do what you need for the files, according to whatever instructions you have. You won't have to 'give up' your other browser(s).

Old 11-29-2016, 12:29 AM

The former owner sent me this email earlier:

{ You should have all of the books in PDF already. If you want to save a new version of the "Institute A" book then open Microsoft Word. Click "Save As" and then choose "PDF" from the menu.
If PDF is not an option, then you need to download Adobe PDF program.

Let me know if it works. }

I found the files on the san disk and they open up in Mozilla as PDF

I tried to move one book file and it didn't work.

I am a complete etard, but I will try google again.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Where did you get these files from?

Quote:
Decrypting of your files is only possible with the private key and decrypt program, which is

on our secret server. To receive your private key: follow these steps:

Download and install Tora Browser: https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html

After a successful installation, run the browser and wait for initialization.

Type in the address bar: (not posting this for privacy reasons)

Follow the instructions on the site.
This is not normal under any circumstances, firstly the only reason you would need to go to a web page using the TOR browser is to protect your anonymity OR the anonymity of the server on the other end. Secondly a private key is no longer private once someone else has it.

As already suggested those files have probably been infested with ransomware. I dont want to sound like "the sky is falling" but if I got a message like that my actions are going to be power down any computer those drives were connected to and research how to back your files up on computer you suspect may have been infested with ransomware.

Quote:
I have the keys.
Where did you get the keys from? And how are you using them to open the files?

Old 11-29-2016, 12:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guide...cky-ransomware

The person who gave you that file is infected. I wouldn't put that file on my PC.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:15 PM

After re-reading the thread, it does appear that the previous owner knows nothing about the encryption and the others are correct about the ransomware.

That really sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers