Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

When I try to open an email attachment even from a reputable/legit person, sometimes it will say the following:

"Adobe Acrobat Reader DC could not open 'NameofDocument.doc' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

Is this a problem on my end or the sender's end & if it's MY end, please give step-by-step instructions on what to do to view it. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 08:12 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Well, you are trying to open a Word doc with Acrobat which only reads pdf. Do you have MS Office/Word?
If not, download OpenOffice and open the file.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:42 PM

OK, yes thanks, but HOW do I do it? I have BOTH MS Word AND Open Office icon on my desktop.

When I click on it to open it, there's nothing that gives me a choice/pull-down menu, etc. on how to open it. A screen pops up with a box saying exactly what I put in quotes in my OP & that's it.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Download it. Then right-mouse click on it and select "Open With ..." then choose the right app to open it with (Word).

Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 PM

20 posts, read 9,335 times
A few things may have happened with your attached file. Here are few solutions that I know-

1.Sometimes a file becomes damaged or contains corrupt data. If you want to download the file from the email, ask the sender to resend it.
2. May be your Adobe Acrobat Reader is a older version or not installed properly. Try to download the file after reinstalling or updating your Adobe Acrobat Reader.
3.Reader or Acrobat, or the resources they rely on, could be damaged. Repairing the installation is a quick troubleshooting safeguard.

Hope any of these will work. If not then google because other issues may occur that I haven't discussed here.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:24 PM

OK, I figured it out. I need to make note so I know what to do if it happens again!

Old 11-29-2016, 09:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Does it happen with all .pdf's or just some of them from the same people?

There is two ways to transfer files, binary and text. A binary file transferred as text will get corrupted and .pdf is binary. If that is the problem where that is occurring can be anywhere in the chain. See if there is pattern, e.g if they won't open using web email but will open using local client.

If possible have them send as zip....

Old 11-29-2016, 10:24 PM

I appreciate all your help guys!

thecoalman, I never know if it happens repeatedly from the same person or not since it's always been from a different person (1x) in my situations.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
And what did you figure out? When you find solution to your problem it's helpful to others to post it.

If you are saving it to disk and can then get it to open I would suggest having one person send you same file zipped, use file comparison tool to insure it's not corrupted.

Quote:
There is two ways to transfer files, binary and text
Just wanted to note to make it clear this is done in the background.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:12 PM

Well thecoalman, if you must know, the posts here didn't really help me this time. I was saying thanks to everyone to be cordial & polite to the posters who took the time to post. In the meantime, I was trying to figure it out myself as well & so was Googling things & playing around to try to figure it out & under 'My PC' section, I went under 'Downloads' & looked through it & happened to see the item I was looking for & I opened it up & I did something else...don't remember even now because I don't have to do this kind of thing on a regular basis.

BTW, thecoalman (& not to seem rude at all), but I'm the one asking, which is why I started this thread. If others still want to know, they can read the words here just like I can OR they can PM the specific poster or just post in the thread if they need further clarification from them. That's what I'd do if I still wanted to know something & wanted clarification if someone else started a thread that I wanted to know more about. I wouldn't expect the OP to explain it all out for me.

But yes, I love this board. Most people overall have been pretty helpful!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 11-30-2016 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers