Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 05:06 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,484,312 times

Advertisements

In cases like this, the event viewer will probably not say much, unless it is a consistent software problem. If it's hardware, just about anything could be running when the crash happens. The event viewer is great for software problems, not so great for hardware, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,156,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
In cases like this, the event viewer will probably not say much, unless it is a consistent software problem. If it's hardware, just about anything could be running when the crash happens. The event viewer is great for software problems, not so great for hardware, unfortunately.
To determinate hardware/software probleme he can use usb live system. Its simply way.
For example
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desk...ick-on-windows

Old 12-03-2016, 10:42 AM

1,743 posts, read 988,386 times
I had no idea that so many different things could cause this problem.

I owe all of you a big Thanks for your responses.

The pc is a Lenovo, purchased at Best Buy about six months ago.

I don't know what brand of PSU is inside but when I open the case I'll take a look.

I'm going to go and check out all the ideas that you folks have suggested and check back here when I finish.

Again, Thank You.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post

I don't know what brand of PSU is inside but when I open the case I'll take a look.

I'm going to go and check out all the ideas that you folks have suggested and check back here when I finish.

Again, Thank You.
6 month PC old and no warranty from manufacturer or costumer service?
Usually waranty up to 3 years since date of purchase.
Find your guarantee coupon and see what is written there.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:22 PM

16,503 posts, read 19,590,522 times
WARRANTIES ARE 1 YEAR, RARELY EVER 3.
acci-caps

Old 12-06-2016, 08:08 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,638,833 times
I worked on a computer one time that worked perfectly laying down but I stood it up it would shut down with a minute. I found the heatsink was loose.when the tower was stood up the heatsink would separated just enough that the processor would overheat.so check the heatsink you should not be able to move it with you hand, is the fan on the processor running? is there a ton of dust on the heatsink?? clean it with a can of compressed air or a small artist brush or blow it out with a straw.also check that the fan on the power supply is working.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I worked on a computer one time that worked perfectly laying down but I stood it up it would shut down with a minute. I found the heatsink was loose.when the tower was stood up the heatsink would separated just enough that the processor would overheat.so check the heatsink you should not be able to move it with you hand, is the fan on the processor running? is there a ton of dust on the heatsink?? clean it with a can of compressed air or a small artist brush or blow it out with a straw.also check that the fan on the power supply is working.
Where there is dust if computers assembly just a few months ? And if the cooler was not in right place then it would permanently shut off and didnt work.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:41 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,050,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Where there is dust if computers assembly just a few months ? And if the cooler was not in right place then it would permanently shut off and didnt work.
My house is very dusty, things get gunked-up quickly. Dust on components that generate heat, acts as a thermal blanket.

A *properly* installed heat-sink should have thermal paste between the bottom of the sink and the CPU chip. The CPU heats at different rates depending on load and ambient temperatures.

Web sites (like C-D) that run scripts can increase CPU load. The laptop I am using at this moment has a heat issue, the more C-D tabs I have open, the higher the load. Depending on the temperature in the house, this machine exhibits the symptoms that the OP describes when I am looking at C-D (and others). I resolved the issue temporarily by installing BHO that kills scripts (NoScript for FireFox), and allows me to selectively enable just the ones I want, and by throttling back the CPU.

Eventually I'll get around to unscrewing the 377 tiny screws that hold this thing together, clean the heat-sink and re-install with a new coat of thermal paste...some day...maybe...but right now it's just easier to keep the CPU throttled and kill the scripts.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:49 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post

Again, Thank You.
You're problem sounds like a capacitor going bad on the motherboard. Since it's less than a year old, contact Lenovo for tech support. Back up your data as you most likely will have to ship it to a repair center.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:59 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,050,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You're problem sounds like a capacitor going bad on the motherboard. Since it's less than a year old, contact Lenovo for tech support. Back up your data as you most likely will have to ship it to a repair center.
Good point, a bad cap could do it.

In fact, that has been known to be a problem in the past- mobo manufacturers using different caps than the designers spec'd, in order to cut production costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers