Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 12:36 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times

Advertisements

Just a reminder to anyone who loves this program.

This is one of those times I think Microsoft really nailed a good program so, of course, they are getting rid of it in favor of the not as feature rich Windows 10 app with that oh so original name: Photos.

It will no longer be available to download from MS after Jan 10, 2017. I'm sure other places will still have it, of course.
Just wanted to remind you or draw your attention to a nice photo organizing app.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-essentials

Do a CUSTOM install and you can pick and choose waht programs you want. Movie Maker is decent too...also going buh bye....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 09:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Thanks

Old 12-07-2016, 08:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
In case anyone wants to grab the offline installer for archive purposes...

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...-download-now/

Old 12-09-2016, 01:24 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Yeah, I'm unimpressed with Windows 10's Photos. Whatever the photo viewer was in XP was better, but I don't even remember what it was called. I seem to remember photos just opening up in Windows Explorer when you clicked on them, but maybe it was a different program that I just took for granted and never paid close attention to.

Anyway, what are the key differences between Photos and Windows Photo Gallery?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:08 PM

20 posts, read 9,349 times
I really love Windows Photo Gallery. Thanks for the information.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:12 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
That's an old .exe program. Someone will have it available. The whole Windows Live Essentials suite is going away. Softonic should have it going forward.

Just download it from Microsoft now and leave it on your PC. You can even keep an old copy in OneDrive. You can find it here. And it does work on Windows 10. Microsoft could prevent, or disable, those programs on Windows 10, but I doubt that they will.

For those asking what the key differences are with Photos and Windows Live Photo Gallery; Photos has a modern, streamlined look, with options in different places than Photos. It uses a dark theme, like everything else on Windows 10. There was an update to Photos a week ago. I can still rotate photos, apply filters, etc. in Photos. Whether or not it is a dumbed down version of WLPG is a matter of opinion. I find that it still does everything I used to do with my photos.

Also, Photos shows images both stored on OneDrive as well as photos on the PC. If you're offline, you can see photos on OneDrive but you can't delete them. If you're online, if you modify a OneDrive photo the change also takes place online. Unless you were editing a photo that was never in OneDrive to begin with there are no local copies. The program does not tell users the location of the files, but rather arranges them by the date they were taken. This is possible because when OneDrive is used as the default location for saved files. It would be easier if the program allowed you to make changes, and simply cached those changes for synchronization with OneDrive the next time the user is online. That seems like an obvious thing to me.

If you've ever used Adobe Photoshop Online, that is what Photos looks like.

Microsoft needs to provide us with proper photo editing, like what you get on Flckr or (Google) Photos, on our smartphones.

Last edited by goofy328; 12-10-2016 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Just a reminder to anyone who loves this program.

This is one of those times I think Microsoft really nailed a good program so, of course, they are getting rid of it in favor of the not as feature rich Windows 10 app with that oh so original name: Photos.

It will no longer be available to download from MS after Jan 10, 2017. I'm sure other places will still have it, of course.
Just wanted to remind you or draw your attention to a nice photo organizing app.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-essentials

Do a CUSTOM install and you can pick and choose waht programs you want. Movie Maker is decent too...also going buh bye....
What alternatives are there for the Movie Maker?

I see a webpage where you can download.....
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...maker-download

Old 01-11-2017, 11:48 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What alternatives are there for the Movie Maker?

I see a webpage where you can download.....
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...maker-download
So far there are none.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:56 AM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So far we have not found other places. We tried a download from the previous link and as we might have expected we got every program in the suite except the MM. The installation of the entire suite gets error messages.

Wasn't there a nice movie maker on XP and Vista? Popular? Why let it die.......

Is there software out there to be purchased like a disc that contains Essentials or whatever it's called?

So support ended........maybe users would still like the program supported or not.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:29 PM

577 posts, read 494,494 times
Resurrecting some old bones here, sorry....

Is anyone having the same issues as I am, with the WIN10 Photo Gallery? I am running WIN 10 on a 6 year old HP tower PC. I have about 10K photos in my Photo Gallery right now. As a back up, I have them all on flash drive memory sticks.

I am really disappointed in the way MS can go in to my photo folders and just move my pics around. I know I have had many pics just disappear.

Is there a photo software program that I could buy (free is GOOD also) that is compatible with WIN 10 that I could load/download my pics in to, that MS could not get their controlling fingers on ? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers