Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:20 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times

Advertisements

I'm really starting to get ticked off at Google. I know how to use Boolean Logic, and I know how to select search terms that will be expected to produce the results I want...but, more and more often, Google is showing me different things than what I want- "Oh, did you mean *this*?" or that don't include [some of] the terms that I specified.

No you freaking piece of fecal matter, I know what I typed, and that's what I WANT! Don't guess at what I want, give me what I freaking ASKED for!

OK, /rant

Anybody else having the same issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:49 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times
They should add a search term that means "take these search terms literally and don't try to guess something else I might have meant."

But it would also be nice if they could add some intelligence. Such as being able to search for something that can have a lot of different names, or something more complicated than names, by telling it what you want, not just what word to search for. If I want to find substances that cost more than $10 per ounce, how would I express that as a search? Not a very good example, but it should make the point clear enough. That we need to be able to express ideas in our search terms, not just words.

Someone could compete with Google by coming up with a better search engine, that lets users tell it what they want, and tell it how clearly or vaguely they know what they want, and not let it always guess such things, giving zillions of unwanted results.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:11 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Inefficient Googling. Use this, and see if it helps:
Infographic: Get More Out Of Google - HackCollege
Top 10 Obscure Google Search Tricks
Five Handy Things You Can Do with Google's New Knowledge Graph Search

Happy Googling!!

Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
I don't see the big deal. "Did you mean this?" So then don't click on that. Which means "No, I meant what I typed".

Old 12-12-2016, 03:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,566,637 times
duckduckgo ?

Old 12-12-2016, 03:49 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I've been 'googling' for a long time and used to be able to get what I wanted easily, it's not inefficiency on my part, I think it is more Google attempting to accommodate people who are stupid/inexperienced and trying to 'assume' that they really want something else.

Thanks for the links though, I knew most of that stuff already, but there *were* several things that I hadn't been aware of . The 'hackcollege' site looks interesting, never heard of it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't see the big deal. "Did you mean this?" So then don't click on that. Which means "No, I meant what I typed".
No, it's doing the opposite and putting up the stuff I didn't mean, and I have to actively click a link that says "no give me what I asked for."

I guess, that what I really want is a setting that says "I'm not an idiot, give me exactly what I type in until I tell you otherwise."

I know, I know, it seems like such a 'little' thing...but it's really straws adding up on the camel's back, going from "You can't always get what you want" to "You'll take what I give you and shut the hell up if you don't like it." (Not just there, but everyfreakingwhere.)

Old 12-12-2016, 04:08 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I noticed this message mostly when my search word/sentence is misspelled, has multiple meanings, or there are no results for the search query. Other than that - not really.
But who knows, maybe Google is just accommodating dumbed down nation?

Old 12-12-2016, 04:16 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
+ and - before a key word can be quite powerful.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:59 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
There is a general dumbing down of the internet, and Google is using more "natural" language and moving away from boolean. Sometimes I play with it.

"How many watermelons on the end of a pin" turns up this:

https://wikr.com/can-tell-many-watermelons-picture/

Which is a further indication of just how far intelligence has fallen.

(Hint: How many watermelons are in this picture = how many watermelons did it take to create this picture.) Unless photoshop was used, it took six, seven, or eight. If photoshop was used and the markings weren't modified, it could be as few as three.

The little facebook "You're a GENIUS!" tests are usually incredibly stupid or wrong or deceptive.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:25 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,180 times
Have you tried Bing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers