Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:21 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

Cannot get a 16 point version, period, on this 32 bit pc unless w/ outside help. I need a "direct download link" that would allow updates of software to keep Ubuntu current update-wise.

I know, I know... (this is the other way old machine) a dinosaur, I still use & its from '09. So had Lubuntu or Ubuntu (no idea what version -- though higher than 14 point ones) til yest when it crashed. I reinstalled an old dvd disc I had from a friend from May '15 & it says it is 15.04 version now. But there's no more 32 bit updates on it allowed or avail.

Can I download any other direct-off-internet versions/download prompts, that'd work to at least get software updates on this 32 bit pc? I'd go back to a 14 point version if needed. The 16 point versions don't work, & yes, there's some alternate ways to get it but need a disc or thumb to do it, no?

Ok, thx folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Hmm, this is worded wrong. Better to ask, is there any older Ubuntu/lubuntu version still able to be downloaded off the internet direct (not via an outside use of a thumb drive or another alternate disc -- & the have to again just transfer from a disc, back onto the same pc) & still able to be serviced by software updates to keep it updated? I can't use 16 point versions on this 32 bit pc so must find an older version of ny year to use this.

Here's my limited knowledge of how this even works? Why would I need to go to the alternative Kylin 16 point version link, then need to download to a thumb drive or disc there -- & then --retransfer it back onto my pc? Isn't is easier to straight download the Kylin DIRECTLY from the link given? Why a need to download elsewhere -- & then simply transfer it back? If it is avail to download in 1st place, isn't avail to just put it on your pc direct that way? I'm lost, so tech folks please clarify if you can.

But I don't have any idea if older versions (older than the 16's now current) have updates still being done. I assume if the 15's don't, then no way do the 14's or older have updates? Can I just simply run this outdated 15 version -- that I used to reinstall Lubuntu AGAIN, after a crash this wkend -- from an old disc from last May 2015, that my buddy gave me back then w/out now any further current ability to get updates, or will I risk security or other malfunctions somewhere down the line in doing so?

Thx if anyone can get back re this.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:24 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Can you get a friend to download and make an ISO copy of Ubuntu or Lubuntu (or any other flavor you prefer) on a disc or usb flash drive? Then you can either use it live or install it.

Yeah, Ubuntu 15.04 wasn't LTS (long term support). Check out the end of life chart here..

https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

I have Ubuntu 14.04 32-bit installed on a 2007 desktop with 2 GB RAM and it's running fine. It does updates fine and will be doing so until support ends in 2019. Don't know how much my post helps....

If you don't get any satisfactory answers here you might want to try the Ubuntu forums and post under New to Ubuntu...

https://ubuntuforums.org/

Old 12-21-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Can you get a friend to download and make an ISO copy of Ubuntu or Lubuntu (or any other flavor you prefer) on a disc or usb flash drive? Then you can either use it live or install it.

Yeah, Ubuntu 15.04 wasn't LTS (long term support). Check out the end of life chart here..

https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

I have Ubuntu 14.04 32-bit installed on a 2007 desktop with 2 GB RAM and it's running fine. It does updates fine and will be doing so until support ends in 2019. Don't know how much my post helps....

If you don't get any satisfactory answers here you might want to try the Ubuntu forums and post under New to Ubuntu...

https://ubuntuforums.org/
Thx for this! Can I download online directly, & bypass outside disc that way, since I'm using the 15.04 version fine -- but no updates of course ever possible since installed Monday? Can you downgrade to 14.04, via direct download, or must I have an outside disc w/ 14.04 on it? Thx alot for replying.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Thx for this! Can I download online directly, & bypass outside disc that way, since I'm using the 15.04 version fine -- but no updates of course ever possible since installed Monday? Can you downgrade to 14.04, via direct download, or must I have an outside disc w/ 14.04 on it? Thx alot for replying.
I'm not aware that you can just download and install directly. You'll have to download the 32-bit (i386.iso) Ubuntu 14.04. Then you'll have to burn to a DVD or USB flash drive. Then you'll boot from the DVD or USB and activate the install. Here's the process and a link for the download.

Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) LTS Released - Installation Guide and Few System Tweaks

I don't think you can just downgrade, especially if your 15.04 install was a fresh install.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:34 AM

I have a new DVD-R disc & my friend's laptop sitting here today w/ me. Just need links or info as to what to do to get the alternative way to a 32 bit 16.04 Ubuntu, (I guess version I'd need to be best for updates, etc.) download -- & then burn onto this DVD-R disc -- & then transfer to my 32 bit pc.

Thx & I sent you a direct message. Haha, this has given me a wk long headache.

I went to Ubuntu alternative downloads & it has Parent Directory, & then many items listed below it. Is there only one that I need of all of those listed or do I need them all? This was the 32 bit 16.04 link on Ubuntu's alternative links that I just went on.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:08 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
i'm not seeing why installing from a live-usb wouldnt be ideal ?

Old 12-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I have a new DVD-R disc & my friend's laptop sitting here today w/ me. Just need links or info as to what to do to get the alternative way to a 32 bit 16.04 Ubuntu, (I guess version I'd need to be best for updates, etc.) download -- & then burn onto this DVD-R disc -- & then transfer to my 32 bit pc.

Thx & I sent you a direct message. Haha, this has given me a wk long headache.

I went to Ubuntu alternative downloads & it has Parent Directory, & then many items listed below it. Is there only one that I need of all of those listed or do I need them all? This was the 32 bit 16.04 link on Ubuntu's alternative links that I just went on.

1. Go here and download the 32-bit (i386) desktop image.

Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (Xenial Xerus)

2. Next, I would use UNetbootin to create the bootable disk (I prefer usb drive myself). Place the DVD in your friend's laptop.

Click on this unetbootin link and press Download (Windows) to get Unetbootin.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

You should see that UNetbootin picked up the 32-bit downloaded ubuntu iso file down below.
And make sure to click on disk drive. Then click OK.

3. After the bootable 16.04 is burned, you can take it to your pc and boot from it. You'll be given the option to install.

4. Don't forget to go to your friend's downloads and delete both Ubuntu and UNetbootin downloads (rt click and remove).

Good luck.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:53 PM

THANK YOU!

In process of downloading now w/ 30 mins left. Will follow instructions & keep you posted.

Thx so very much so far & really hope this works.

Hmm, it loaded but had probs w/ it. So will continue after getting more instructions. I get jammed up somewhere & messed it up. It is coming from his Linux 64 bit 16.04 pc that he has & not a windows pc too. It loaded onto it (his pc) & can this cause any issues? I thought I should click download from Linux -- not Windows-- but unsure among other things. I'll await your info. Thx.

Last edited by movintime; 12-22-2016 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 03:17 AM

In UNetbootin then click Linux. That's the program that will create your bootable DVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers