Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:48 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times

Advertisements

I love 98se Peregrine ya know buddy??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
At least move to XP, bro. Dang. I have a copy you can have.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
I dont like XP,its not as user friendly or customisable.......

Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
I transferred the same video from the external drive to another one and it plays fine. I tried both 3.0 usb cords on both external drives and only on the 1st external drive it lags, not on the 2nd and the 2nd is 500 gb, the 1st one is 5tb. I am going to get a 8tb external drive and transfer everything on it so I don't lose anything. Today I transferred a short video clip that is less than 1 minute and I saw it lag on the 1st external drive and it didn't when played directly from the computer.
Defragging won't delete anything, but it won't help this situation either. The large external USB drives like the 5TB and now 8TB ones you are using are simply not really designed to stream content from them. The HDD's inside those enclosures are Seagate "archive" drives taken directly from their enterprise product line. They are designed to store large amounts of information and that's about it. They are simply not optimized for media playback performance.

Seagate does sell larger drives that are more optimized for this, such as the "Ironwolf" line, but they are significantly more expensive, do not come with an enclosure as a standalone external drive and are really intended to be placed in a NAS. However, they do have the performance needed to effectively stream content from them.

You need to read up on the difference between PMR and SMR drives and understand the performance/limitations of each. This article is technical but explains it well:

Seagate to Expand Usage of SMR - The Evolution of HDDs in the Near Future: Speaking with Seagate CTO, Mark Re

Ultimately, you can certainly store your movies/shows on that drive, but if you want to watch them without any possible lag issues, you will need to copy them to a better performing drive. The other option would be to pony up the money for one of the better performing large drives and even better than that would be integrating one of those better drives into a NAS media server.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers