Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times

Advertisements

I am duplicating my current development environment in a portable machine. Well... not duplicating.. but getting feasibly close without spending a fortune myself. I'm working on multiple VMs on a VMware cluster. The specs are based on current needs with planned room for growth. This laptop is not for gaming. I'm not spec'ing as much as I can just because I can.

I'll be running several VMs in virtual box and sometimes several containers in Docker. I'm also running several databases for integration/test purposes (Oracle, SQL MongoDB.. etc) although I won't need to all at once. A future integration project involves a high performance in-memory database (both master and transactional). In production deployments, the size of RAM scales in relation to source data size. As you can surmise, the RAM size of some of these servers can be quite large. Of course, my dataset will not be anywhere close to that.

The product itself has 200+ OSGI bundles (not counting third party) running on Virgo Server for Tomcat (in its largest configuration). So while I can unload/refresh certain bundles dynamically during development cycles, the actual deployment takes a while on a small machine... makes for frequent coffee breaks.

Of course, I'd like a new personal laptop as well. But the specs will definitely be overkill for my personal projects... that's ok though... I'm currently on a first generation macbook air (2gb) lol as my personal laptop along with a 2010 fully loaded 27 inch iMac at home. Both of which are not used for work (indirectly via VPN)

I have no problems with Dell (and the like). However, I'm not really looking forward to dealing with drivers and installations; Linux is necessary for me. I posted this thread inquiring about system 76 primarily because it is Ubuntu out of the box. THe Dell XPS 13 developer edition seems a bit cramped.. screen wise and also is limited to 16GB.

Last edited by usayit; 01-26-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 AM

61 posts, read 35,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I have a long history and personal reasons for not support HP products (work related) but perhaps I could put that aside and take a look at your recommendation. Are you running linux on it?
No, now I work in Windows.
What's about Dell? I have it at home. The hardware is amazing and the screen is great, but the keyboard is useless, touchpad works awful.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:10 AM

61 posts, read 35,784 times
Quote:
I have no problems with Dell (and the like). However, I'm not really looking forward to dealing with drivers and installations; Linux is necessary for me. I posted this thread inquiring about system 76 primarily because it is Ubuntu out of the box. THe Dell XPS 13 developer edition seems a bit cramped.. screen wise and also is limited to 16GB.
Oh, I see the answer to my question!
I see your point, dealing with dell drives is a real mess. That's why I always have a lot of work when I change my system at home laptop.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:26 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
I'll be running several VMs in virtual box and sometimes several containers in Docker. I'm also running several databases for integration/test purposes (Oracle, SQL MongoDB.. etc) although I won't need to all at once. A future integration project involves a high performance in-memory database (both master and transactional). In production deployments, the size of RAM scales in relation to source data size. As you can surmise, the RAM size of some of these servers can be quite large. Of course, my dataset will not be anywhere close to that.
Cool. I cannot imagine that much RAM in a laptop. Of course, there was a time I thought 512M was a lot!

Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryFR View Post
Oh, I see the answer to my question!
I see your point, dealing with dell drives is a real mess. That's why I always have a lot of work when I change my system at home laptop.
Yeh... I've heard the same across many manufacturers. I noticed a thread a while back that discussed getting a Dell XPS (windows) and load linux. Then someone posted that the wifi card on the Dell XPS 13 Developer edition is different and more "linux friendly". So that person would need to hunt around for a driver. It seems that the most popular graphics cards for laptops also have some problems on linux.

Its not like I cannot do it... back in the day in college I would not even hesitate. Its just that I need to focus on work rather on the building the laptop. I basically need something that works out of the box. As such, I guess I have to work with the limited boutique linux manufacturers and higher cost... something I have to accept.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Cool. I cannot imagine that much RAM in a laptop. Of course, there was a time I thought 512M was a lot!
There will be a time that even 64G will seem undersized....

Old 01-27-2017, 05:35 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Yeh... I've heard the same across many manufacturers. I noticed a thread a while back that discussed getting a Dell XPS (windows) and load linux. Then someone posted that the wifi card on the Dell XPS 13 Developer edition is different and more "linux friendly". So that person would need to hunt around for a driver. It seems that the most popular graphics cards for laptops also have some problems on linux.

Its not like I cannot do it... back in the day in college I would not even hesitate. Its just that I need to focus on work rather on the building the laptop. I basically need something that works out of the box. As such, I guess I have to work with the limited boutique linux manufacturers and higher cost... something I have to accept.
That difference is gone in the latest version.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That difference is gone in the latest version.
Thanks! I'll have to take another look then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers