Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 AM

15,051 posts, read 10,043,591 times

Advertisements

Does anyone has a System76 laptop? I am a software developer with a CentOS (Ubuntu is fine) based environment for work and some personal. I am considering the 17 inch Oryx Pro fully optioned. Java, eclipse, spring framework, docker, tomcat, application server, virtual box.

What has been your experience? Build? Battery life? etc...

Current machine is an aged Macbook pro but I'm not liking the specs on the latest at the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 11:35 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,546,425 times
they seem highly rated:
Linux Desktop/Laptop Vendor of the Year

Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Look for an Apple refurb - 2015 2.8 15" quad core, 16GB, 512GB, discrete graphics under $2300 right now plus you can add AppleCare. The Oryx looks great if it will not get moved much - 6 pounds plus 2 pound power brick, 2 hour battery life. But it is an awesome gaming laptop...note that "fully optioned" is more than $6000...

Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Look for an Apple refurb - 2015 2.8 15" quad core, 16GB, 512GB, discrete graphics under $2300 right now plus you can add AppleCare. The Oryx looks great if it will not get moved much - 6 pounds plus 2 pound power brick, 2 hour battery life. But it is an awesome gaming laptop...note that "fully optioned" is more than $6000...
The problem I have with Apple is none of their laptops can be configured for more than 16GB. Up until now, I've been mostly buying mac laptops.. a bit disappointed in Apple in recent times.

"Fully optioned" may have been an exaggeration on my part.

17 inch IPS
8GB GTX 1070
3.5Ghz i7-6700HQ (quad-core)
64GB Dual Channel DDR4
1TB SSD 2600MB/s write / 1600MB/s read
1TB 7200

$3340.

I don't need the optional 8TB of SSD which adds more than $3000 to the pricetag. 1TB should be more than enough for primary storage and the additional 1TB of "slower" storage would be ok for testing and such.

I'm ok with the size. I have a macbook pro and air that I'm using for personal use. I may sell one or the other.. not decided.

I am a bit concerned about build and reliability (specs look great on paper). System76 being a small "boutique" manufacturer of laptops doesn't really have any retail for me to examine them in person nor a lot of users to put up reviews.

I was also considering the Dell Developer Edition XPS13 but I'd find that screen too small for long term work use.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
It's apparently pretty nice if you don't mind dreadful battery life (sacrifices have to be made if you really need a lot of power) and the enormous power brick.

According to this review it seems to be pretty well made and not too flexible even though it's plastic and huge.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 AM

61 posts, read 35,599 times
I see your point of view, as for me 13" too small for coding but 17" is also not comfortable. The best screen size that works for me is 15".
And I think that macs are overrated in this time, you can save your money and buy a more stable machine.
What's about SSD? I put it on my current laptop and believe that it is necessary today for a developer. With cloud storages and external drives it's so important to have 1tb hard disk as for me.
Did you think about HP? I have it at work and works pretty well for me: HP 15-ay013nr.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:25 AM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
What are you doing that you need 64GB of RAM? Landing the space shuttle? Running the NYSE?
No...neither of those would need that much. I doubt you are going to give me a good reason for 64GB because there's simply no scenario where you need that much.

And what's wrong with a boutique company? I think I'd rather buy from the little guy then someone like Dell. The little guy is going to try harder to keep your business, I bet.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:38 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What are you doing that you need 64GB of RAM? Landing the space shuttle? Running the NYSE?
No...neither of those would need that much. I doubt you are going to give me a good reason for 64GB because there's simply no scenario where you need that much.

And what's wrong with a boutique company? I think I'd rather buy from the little guy then someone like Dell. The little guy is going to try harder to keep your business, I bet.
Virtual machines can eat up a ton of RAM. The developer tools he mentioned are also notoriously piggish.

We're living in a era when just browsing the web can chew through a fairly highly specced system.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:24 AM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Virtual machines can eat up a ton of RAM. The developer tools he mentioned are also notoriously piggish.

We're living in a era when just browsing the web can chew through a fairly highly specced system.
Jason you know you are seriously one of my favorite posters here. We agree on just about everything.
But: BS BUDDY! LOL
Nothing on the interwebs can chew through my high end 16GB system. Nothing! MWAHAHAHA!
I hope you were exaggerating for effect.

Sys Req's:
Docker 2GB
TomCat (Old version, but still) 2GB recommend on a Windows system, 1GB on a Linux system
Eclipse 512MB min, 1 GB recommended
Spring, requires whatever Java version req's you are using. Java req's are low.
(I honestly didn't expect those to be THAT low... wow! Low, yes...not that low)

Vitrual Box, ok yes this totally depends on the number of VM's. But at 4GB per... that's a LOT of VM's.

I don't care how much RAM you get, OP, I just hate to see people get "as much as I possibly can" and only wind up using LESS then half.
Gamers think 16GB is the minimum for gaming, and it's not. ANY modern game today with a good GPU runs GREAT with only 8GB.
As we always say on the gaming site I hang out on, the only people who REALLY need even 16GB or more are graphics design people and people doing CGI and 3D modeling.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryFR View Post
Did you think about HP? I have it at work and works pretty well for me: HP 15-ay013nr.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have a long history and personal reasons for not support HP products (work related) but perhaps I could put that aside and take a look at your recommendation. Are you running linux on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers