Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 08:29 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
How do I know which one to buy for my seagate external drive? Like how power will accept my hard drive, dont know how many volts or watts it uses. Need one from bestbuy

Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB External USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive Black STEL8000100 - Best Buy
Your last is confusing. Are you asking, this is the external HDD that I got, what UPS should I get to protect it? It must be from Best Buy?

If so, you're missing some of the points we've been making.

To be reasonably safe, you should protect ALL equipment that's sensitive to power loss or fluctuation with a UPS.

UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) = battery-based backup and surge suppression system, pretty much always includes surge suppression too.

Sensitive gear:
* The actual computer, and
* any external hard drives, and
* any external USB hubs that connect your PC to these drives, and
* any power strips that power your drives.

Not-so sensitive gear, that still should be protected as it's necessary to keep running after a power failure so you can do a 'controlled shutdown' rather than an instant-power-off, (which could result in data loss).
* Monitor

All the above should be connected to a UPS.
How much and how many of the above, determines how much capacity needed, (how big a battery, providing how many minutes of operating time).
Also, you need to evaluate if you want more than the minimum.

Minimum: Upon a power loss, your UPS should send a signal to your PC to do an immediate but controlled power-off. It should take 1-3 minutes at most. Your monitor doesn't have to be connected as you can't do anything yourself anyway so you don't need to see what's going on.

Additional capacity:
If you normally work on your computer such that an unanticipated immediate shut-down might disrupt valuable work, and possibly result in data loss.
* Example: You spend an hour putting together a presentation with PowerPoint, which is set to do auto-backups every 10 minutes.
* The power fails, the monitor goes dark, the UPS commands the computer to shut down (same as if on a Windows PC in mid-work, you hit Start, Shut-down and the PC closed out all programs currently running, without saving the work).
* RESULT: You loose up to 9 minutes worth of work.

Or maybe you have software that can't do regular auto-backups, or shut-down in mid-work could cause other problems.

SOLUTION: provide sufficient extra run-time capacity in the UPS so you can manually shut down your work, minimizing disruption. IE: buy a battery that is bigger than the minimum, so that you have an extra 5-10 minutes to finish what you're doing, save it and close out all your programs.

To give you a more specific answer, you'll need to do some shopping on capacities vs what you have and what you need. As an example: I have a huge tower case full of internal HDDs, plus several external HDDs, two powered ports, a couple of monitors, and 4 power strips. They are all connected to my UPS: APC UPS BX1000G (providing 1000 VA capacity), cost back in 2010 = $100, replaced battery last week for $40. I probably over-bought as it's software says it can handle all that for over 20 minutes, and I really only need about 5. So if I replaced it, I'd probably look at a 500 VA capacity or a bit less, unit).

Note: When you buy a UPS, either get it from an actual store and carry it out, or get it from somewhere that provides free shipping, as these things are HEAVY (lead battery inside, remember?). If you pay for shipping, it will be a LOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 09:27 AM

186 posts, read 128,579 times
What is the average amount of time one can last until it has to be recharged and do all of the ups machines will be able to use for the external hare drive I have? I dont need it for my laptop since it already has a battery.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:37 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
Keep in mind that laptops and tablets have built in UPS - their batteries. Keep in mind too that gaming rigs can draw a lot of power.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
What is the average amount of time one can last until it has to be recharged and do all of the ups machines will be able to use for the external hare drive I have? I dont need it for my laptop since it already has a battery.
It doesn't "recharge". It's plugged into the wall at all times.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:07 AM

tek, you may have misunderstood. I think the question was: If the UPS is discharged all the way, how long to recharge once power comes back on?

Old 01-15-2017, 12:54 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Like Mr. Lee said, an UPS is the only real solution to make sure it remains powered. If you are going the "protected from a power surge" angle, than as long as your gear is plugged into a good surge protector it will be fine.

As for cases, just google. I found these on Seagate's site and there are tons of them on Amazon:

Accessories | Seagate)
An UPS unit will provide temporary power only, unless you have a a room full of batteries connected to the UPS.

I also agree with you about using UPS, or even a surge suppressor for computers and other sensitive electrical appliances

Old 01-15-2017, 12:58 PM

How long can I use it while its plugged to ups and how long to recharge the ups and how long does it last

Old 01-15-2017, 01:07 PM

And why is it only meant for temporary usage? Lets say I want the external drive to be used 24/7, how will the ups protect it from an outage? Isnt the whole poinr of using the ups to protect it from an outage that can happen anytime?

Old 01-15-2017, 01:24 PM

essentially, a UPS stays plugged into your wall socket, monitoring your wall power. Meanwhile your devices are plugged into the UPS. When the UPS detects that wall power has failed, it turns on its battery driven circuit to provide power for a period of time until its battery runs out, or you turn off your stuff.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:00 PM

Oh okay but how long would that be and is the ups easy to set up? Just plug it in and thats it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers