Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:47 AM

186 posts, read 128,761 times

Advertisements

Anyone have this product?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HA...plL&ref=plSrch

It is noisy compared to the 5 TB, just checking the properties of folders and it will cause buffering, and this is how they are, its not defective, I even returned one went to another store and its the same thing, what could they have done physically to these hard drives to cause bufffeeing? I also went and exchanged it and got another one from another store and its the same freaking thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:49 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Seagate drives have been getting terrible reviews lately which is why I avoided them. I got a drive by Western Digital and it works great.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:08 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
Anyone have this product?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HA...plL&ref=plSrch

It is noisy compared to the 5 TB, just checking the properties of folders and it will cause buffering, and this is how they are, its not defective, I even returned one went to another store and its the same thing, what could they have done physically to these hard drives to cause bufffeeing? I also went and exchanged it and got another one from another store and its the same freaking thing.

There are acceptable noise and there isn't. The bigger the drive, the more likely it will be noisy. Some manufacturer do a better job with noise isolation than others. Loud drive doesn't always mean it is bad. If that was the case, all my old ultra scsi drive on the servers would have died years ago.

IMHO, getting large TB drives to store massive amount of data is just risky. The content must not be very important. If you want quieter driver, get something that is more enterprise level vs the consumer ones.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Seagate and Western Digital are the market leaders, have been for a long time and with good reason.

I mostly agree with SJ. I would hope this 8TG drive isn't the only place you keep stuff. I assume you are mirroring the 5?
What are you storing on this massive drive? And what do you mean by "it will cause buffering"?

Old 01-19-2017, 01:45 PM

186 posts, read 128,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
There are acceptable noise and there isn't. The bigger the drive, the more likely it will be noisy. Some manufacturer do a better job with noise isolation than others. Loud drive doesn't always mean it is bad. If that was the case, all my old ultra scsi drive on the servers would have died years ago.

IMHO, getting large TB drives to store massive amount of data is just risky. The content must not be very important. If you want quieter driver, get something that is more enterprise level vs the consumer ones.
it's 7.27tb in total, why is it risky storing it in a drive? I have a backup drive for it, 2what is the most I should put in this 7.27TB drive, I heard if I fill it all up that it can cause it to slow down and other problems but I only plan to use half of it.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:26 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
it's 7.27tb in total, why is it risky storing it in a drive? I have a backup drive for it, 2what is the most I should put in this 7.27TB drive, I heard if I fill it all up that it can cause it to slow down and other problems but I only plan to use half of it.
Drive fails. The bigger the drive, the more you have to lose. Again, it all depends on what you are storing in the drive. If you have not consider redundancy, the data can't be that important.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:30 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
You're backing it up, that's all that matter.
You can fill it. Where ever you "hear things"... stop listening to those voices.
You shouldn't fill the "C DRIVE" on your computer. That rule does not apply to externals.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:47 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
generally I think drives of this size belong in a NAS because they usually have RAID

with yours being external, you use case may be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Seagate external hard drive 8TB-2017_storage3.png   Seagate external hard drive 8TB-2017_storage2.png  

Last edited by tripleh; 01-20-2017 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 12:54 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Quote:

What "other problems"? FUD factor ??

A HD stores data writing from the center spinning to the outside, so yes the more data stored then the drive has to spin more to read the said data. However, you are not going to notice if it takes an extra 10ms to read data than usual-this is very minor in terms of it "slowing down"

Old 01-22-2017, 08:21 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
The 8TB are SMR (shingle magnetic recording) drives which are best for archival purposes where you don't read and write all the time. There are enterprise helium-filled high capacity drives but are a lot more $.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers