Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:41 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,792,364 times

Advertisements

Anybody can enlighten me about Home Group(s) under Windows 10 ?

Wife and I are in same room (used as office ...)
Once and a while she needs to give me some file(s) and I then need to use 'Sneaker LAN'.

How do I set up a home group ?

What is happening now >
Both machines are on the same network or internet whatever (hard-line connections).
When I get on mine and check out the homework possibility, it says there is one available and it is the one my wife is supposed to have on her computer.
When I get on her machine, I get a similar message and it says that 'my machine' is supposed to be on some home group.
Both machines say that the password is available on 'the other machine'.

I know for sure that neither my wife nor I have ever set up a home group.
So what is going on here ?

I just would like to 'share' some items like the printer (I already can do that, one printer of both of us, no idea how I did that anymore), pictures or some other stuff.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:04 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,873,215 times
Simple questions: What is the Homegroup and how does it work? | Digital Citizen

Old 01-25-2017, 12:04 AM

Thanks for link

Followed instructions and got to [Create Homegroup]
Then a couple of dialogues to accept, and then instead of getting a password to keep,
I get the notice that I can not create a Homegroup on this computer !

Next spending time on Google trying to find out why ...
Attached Thumbnails
Home group(s) ?-cannotcreate.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 01-25-2017 at 12:30 AM..

Old 01-25-2017, 01:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,108,320 times
Huh? I share and get internet through my Wifi pods... I setup a Homegroup on my Lenovo W520 on Win 8.1. Then I told my Lenovo Yoga 900 to setup and connect to my Homegroup from my W520. -- I used the passcode from the W520, entered it on the Yoga 900, and whalla !! Networked computers through a WIFI POD! WOW!

At first, it only shared select folders. Then I went through my Directory folders on both computers and let certain folders be 'Shared' with the other computer.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Huh? I share and get internet through my Wifi pods... I setup a Homegroup on my Lenovo W520 on Win 8.1. Then I told my Lenovo Yoga 900 to setup and connect to my Homegroup from my W520. -- I used the passcode from the W520, entered it on the Yoga 900, and whalla !! Networked computers through a WIFI POD! WOW!

At first, it only shared select folders. Then I went through my Directory folders on both computers and let certain folders be 'Shared' with the other computer.

You were able to :
I setup a Homegroup on my Lenovo W520 on Win 8.1.

See my message above -> no way I can set up one.

But:
Some info I found mentioned that a Homegroup is not really necessary when you are on the same network.
For simple file sharing, no Homegroup required ...
I am at a loss now.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,108,320 times
All I did was go to the Control Panel and then select under the "Network and Internet" Section, - "Choose Homegroup and Sharing options."

I just did what logically followed and it setup a Network through my Wifi Pod!

Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
All I did was go to the Control Panel and then select under the "Network and Internet" Section, - "Choose Homegroup and Sharing options."

I just did what logically followed and it setup a Network through my Wifi Pod!
Yep, you said that before, and I am not disputing that.
I also said that I did the same thing but at the end I was *informed* that I could not create a Homegroup.
See post #3 above.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,873,215 times
Try this..

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...s-not-working/

Old 01-25-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
First reaction to link ... (but thanks anyway !)

Heaven's, could they not use a larger font ?
See pic 1 attached ...

OK ... , need to delete
“C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\R oaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst”

OK ... , which one ? (see pic 2 attached)

TIA

Anyway, as I mentioned above, to share just a simple file now and then, apparently I can use the 'share' option on a particular directory and then go from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Home group(s) ?-smallishfont.jpg   Home group(s) ?-whichidstore.jpg  

Old 01-25-2017, 11:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,501,308 times
Windows 10 can be a little "wonky" with the home group networking, at least compared to Windows 7 and 8.1. They really did streamline the way it works, but in doing so, it made some things a little more difficult because they buried or got rid of a lot of the advanced options. The reason that you are having the error message and the conflicting information is because when your computers were originally setup, they both created their own "Homegroup" unique to them. Windows 10 networking does this by default unless you specifically say no or it recognizes an existing Homegroup on your network. Since a computer can never be part of more than one Homegroup it is not allowing you to join either computer to the others group or create a new one.

What you need to do is leave the existing Homegroups and then create a new Homegroup on one of the computers. The other computer should then be able to find that new Homegroup and you can enter the password to complete the setup. Some people find that the best way is to delete some of the properties in the registry and then turnoff all the computers. You then turn on one computer and create the new Homegroup. Then turn on the other computers one at a time and join that Homegroup.

Of course, as you have found you don't really need to be part of a Homegroup if you use the basic 'share' options. Another choice would be something like a NAS (external hard drive attached to your router). Both computers could use it as a backup and you could easily share files back and forth on it.

These articles should help walk you through fixing the Homegroup:

Fix: Homegroup Cannot Be Set Up in Windows 10
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...egroup-issues/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers