U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-05-2017, 05:12 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 990,434 times
Reputation: 1420

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a new Desktop, I will only be using it for the internet. I want the best performance desktop. I am going to buy one with a Dedicated graphics card.

what is overall better Home or Gaming?

Also are HP and Dell top of the line? or is there a better brand?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2017, 07:25 PM
 
37,071 posts, read 38,273,370 times
Reputation: 14835
Bob I would save my money, invest in Desktop in say the 5 to 6 hundred range without a dedicated card and it will work fine for browsing the web....even that is more than you need.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 08:44 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 670,973 times
Reputation: 689
I use a Lenovo Yoga 900 laptop and it's very fast for internet even though it's integrated video. The Intel HD 540 Iris has a very high Passmark score that it even plays video games well. Plus, as a laptop, it's portable and goes everywhere. And I get free internet going to libraries, groceries, bookstores, and restaurants in the USA.

But the best desktop is a custom built desktop.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 02:31 AM
 
Location: Europe
2,392 posts, read 431,233 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I use a Lenovo Yoga 900 laptop and it's very fast for internet even though it's integrated video. The Intel HD 540 Iris has a very high Passmark score that it even plays video games well. Plus, as a laptop, it's portable and goes everywhere. And I get free internet going to libraries, groceries, bookstores, and restaurants in the USA.

But the best desktop is a custom built desktop.
Laptop unfortunately have short life and absolutely cannot self hardware upgrade.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 02:43 AM
 
Location: Europe
2,392 posts, read 431,233 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I am looking to buy a new Desktop, I will only be using it for the internet. I want the best performance desktop. I am going to buy one with a Dedicated graphics card.

what is overall better Home or Gaming?

Also are HP and Dell top of the line? or is there a better brand?
I recommend something like this:
Intel Pentium G4560 Kaby Lake (3500MHz, LGA1151, L3 3072Kb) Socket LGA1151 80 $
Any good and functional motherboard with Socket LGA1151 100 $
SSD 250 Gb - 100 $
memory DDR4 16 Gb - 130 $
other (rack\power supply\pereferials) 200 $
___________
total 610-650 usd without monitor
best perfomance!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 07:56 AM
 
10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times
Reputation: 10116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Laptop unfortunately have short life and absolutely cannot self hardware upgrade.
Not sure where you get your info from. Laptops have no shorter a life than any other computer, and you most certainly can self upgrade some components.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 07:57 AM
 
10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times
Reputation: 10116
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Bob I would save my money, invest in Desktop in say the 5 to 6 hundred range without a dedicated card and it will work fine for browsing the web....even that is more than you need.
This. Buying a gaming system or high end workstation just to surf the web is a huge waste of money.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
10,819 posts, read 12,855,554 times
Reputation: 7048
Alienware Alpha | Mini Gaming PC | Dell

Cheap Alienware is only $500....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Europe
2,392 posts, read 431,233 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Alienware Alpha | Mini Gaming PC | Dell

Cheap Alienware is only $500....
Huh, no way
DDR4 is prefer then DDR3 (Low perfomance) and only 8Gb (max).
  • Intel® Core™ i3-4170T Processor Dual-Core
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
  • 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory; up to 8GB
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Europe
2,392 posts, read 431,233 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not sure where you get your info from. Laptops have no shorter a life than any other computer, and you most certainly can self upgrade some components.
Memory and hard drive can replace and not always possible.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top