Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 09:25 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

The older desktop my wife uses for finances had been running slow for quite some time. I removed the raid configuration since all data is stored on a server and that helped, but it was still taking too long to boot as well as running programs, etc. Everything it did was slower than it should have been.

She decided that she would just put up with it until she get her next laptop. At that point everything will run from it.

Apparently she got frustrated again because she told me she found an article about CD/DVD units that stopped working correctly and it might slow things down. She went into device manager and noticed that the DVD was showing up, but not the CD.

I disconnected the CD and the difference is amazing. Smart lady, my wife.

Just something to test if you are having speed issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:31 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The older desktop my wife uses for finances had been running slow for quite some time. I removed the raid configuration since all data is stored on a server and that helped, but it was still taking too long to boot as well as running programs, etc. Everything it did was slower than it should have been.

She decided that she would just put up with it until she get her next laptop. At that point everything will run from it.

Apparently she got frustrated again because she told me she found an article about CD/DVD units that stopped working correctly and it might slow things down. She went into device manager and noticed that the DVD was showing up, but not the CD.

I disconnected the CD and the difference is amazing. Smart lady, my wife.

Just something to test if you are having speed issues.

That is very odd. Interesting find though.
I'm interested if this computer has a dedicated DVD drive alongside a CD drive?

Old 02-07-2017, 12:08 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Defective components frequently cause boot slowdowns. Reason is that during the boot sequence, the system looks for the bad component and waits for it to respond until the system times out for that device. This can happen at either the bios level or the OS level. Sometimes software can cause similar problems and is much harder to diagnose.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:13 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
If possible, go into your BIOS setting during boot-up, and see if you can switch the level of POST detail from just a quick summary to something far more detailed.

This will mean you'll be able to see the POST in greater detail during a boot-up, thus giving you a chance to see what hardware devices are being checked and loaded prior to launch the operating system.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM

POST = Power On Self Test

Old 02-07-2017, 01:39 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The older desktop my wife uses for finances had been running slow for quite some time. I removed the raid configuration since all data is stored on a server and that helped,
What was the RAID configuration? If it was RAID-1, then yes, that is quite understandably otherwise I suspect a faulty drive or controller.

Realistically, any component installed in a PC could cause performance issues not only when they are faulty but merely if they degraded too.
It all boils down to IRQ so any component that can send "interrupt request" can interrupt (slow down) the overall performance or even cause BSoDs, etc.

Another common one is video card, if it is degraded yet functional, boot times can easily take a minute or more extra.

Not sure if your wife is that smart though, she married you after all!

Just kidding!!

I am sure she is smart but must have a sense of humor, she married you after all!

....still kidding!

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-07-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 02-07-2017, 01:44 PM

Funny how computers don't need oil changes, don't have moving parts except for HDD and fans (which need cleaning!) yet they still fail.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Funny how computers don't need oil changes, don't have moving parts except for HDD and fans (which need cleaning!) yet they still fail.
Ask yourself this, what moves through the chips?

Everything degrades over time and use, except human brain.

Well, I don't have one so I wouldn't know but that is the rumor!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:59 PM

Human brains don't fail? You should have seen my mother before she died a year ago. Hadn't recognized me in about 3 years! Senile dementia...wearing out of the brain! It just wore out.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Human brains don't fail? You should have seen my mother before she died a year ago. Hadn't recognized me in about 3 years! Senile dementia...wearing out of the brain! It just wore out.
Yes, but not by usage. It is one of those muscles in the body that gets better the more you use it.
Deterioration of the brain is caused by various things even if genetically it was disease-free (cosmic radiation, bad diet, chemical/psychological/biological stimulants).

It'd keep getting better continuously if there were no derogatory external factors affecting it where computer CPU/RAM degrades all the time simply because it is used and electricity passes through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers