Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,521,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
OP try TAILS for example and you dont need new computer anymore))) for "internet, MS Office, email, iTunes, and playing movies (DVD and/or B-Ray)/videos and music (want really good sound)."
Real fast and secure!
And its absolutely free!
Dont thank!
i was about to suggest similar except that the op wants ms-office and itunes which means ms-windows or apple-macintosh are their only options.

personally i would switch my documents to open document format and use another fone/video player but thats for the op to decide what they are willing to relearn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 PM

21,617 posts, read 24,753,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Hi all:

I went to Best Buy to look around, their selection for desk tops was very bad. And what they did have looked liked junk. To refine my previous needs, can I get something fast and reliable for under $500? I just learned that Firefox is no longer supporting Vista AND, my iTunes program no longer opens. So, my need for a new computer, even though I do not have the money, has increased significantly.

Also, is it hard to move data from this old computer to a new computer?

I looked at Amazon, lots of good reviews and bad reviews. I do not really want to try and build a computer, I just want something easy to set up that turns out to be quiet, fast, easy, and reliable. Dell, HP, or some other brand? This computer seems to on its last legs. I need to get something this month or next at the latest.

Appreciate your help. As you can tell, computer shopping for me, not very enjoyable.

Thank you.
Fast is subjective but since you said no gaming, yes. You can definitely get a computer that will smoothly do every browsing, word processing.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16883101530

or ($50 more for 2TB HD)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=565098

I'd throw some upgrades at it. Pick up a second stick of RAM, add a SSD, and throw a 1050ti in it. If you just really have no interest in gaming though, there's nothing terrible about discrete graphics these days. Just make sure your monitor has HDMI input. You might need to pick up an HDMI to DVI adapter cable if not.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
https://www.amazon.com/ThinkCentre-S...7088136&sr=8-3

Any more questions?

I disagree that you don't need SSD. It's getting so affordable, everyone should consider it going forward. Even mundane, not power hungry tasks feel more fluid. Like opening your web browser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Hi all:

I went to Best Buy to look around, their selection for desk tops was very bad. And what they did have looked liked junk. To refine my previous needs, can I get something fast and reliable for under $500? I just learned that Firefox is no longer supporting Vista AND, my iTunes program no longer opens. So, my need for a new computer, even though I do not have the money, has increased significantly.

Also, is it hard to move data from this old computer to a new computer?

I looked at Amazon, lots of good reviews and bad reviews. I do not really want to try and build a computer, I just want something easy to set up that turns out to be quiet, fast, easy, and reliable. Dell, HP, or some other brand? This computer seems to on its last legs. I need to get something this month or next at the latest.

Appreciate your help. As you can tell, computer shopping for me, not very enjoyable.

Thank you.
https://www.amazon.com/ThinkCentre-S...36&sr=8-3&th=1

Same computer less RAM, etc. I have a Lenovo ThinkServer I use for a server and it's been flawless for years.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:03 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,392,734 times
Since your budget is limited why don't you consider a refurbished computer. We have several here where I work, and they are still working great and have been for years. You'll be amazed at the prices and the quality.

https://www.newegg.com/Computer-Syst...hedStore/ID-22

Refurbished Desktops - Rakuten.com

Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM

16,453 posts, read 19,469,725 times
Brecause he doesn't need to settle for Refurb. See Tek's link.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 AM

50,154 posts, read 23,799,416 times
Although I wouldn't personally buy a computer from Costco, they definitely have some good buys.

I order my new computers online from the manufacturer.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,157,369 times
You don't need to spend $800 to get what you're needing. You have tons of options.

Check out Costco, Sams Club, Walmart, Amazon, Newegg, etc. They will all have what you're looking for.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Although I wouldn't personally buy a computer from Costco, they definitely have some good buys.

I order my new computers online from the manufacturer.
Which gets you a one year warranty instead of two years.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 PM

50,154 posts, read 23,799,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Which gets you a one year warranty instead of two years.
Which scenario?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Any scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers