Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 04:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Do you think I should invest in AMD stock? I'm thinking it'd be an 80% gamble if Ryzen is clearly better. AMD got beat in the past because Intel outmarketed their dual cores saying Intel was better or so.

Also, are those Ryzens on a new cpu interface, or would they work on past proven AMD motherboards?
Not sure but said that you will need a new board, but major companies are on board with them. For sales purpose. I would wait it out honestly till it hits the streets and major gamers before i would invest in anything AMD. Like somebody said, they been prove to lie or least misjudge their specs when it comes to real world value. They maybe cheaper and little bit more power, but intel has a big proven record on reliability. During my PC refurb days, i repair more AMD boards and processors than intel due to heat and incompatibility issues. some were great builds and did things right but still ended up with a burnt cpu. So wait it out a few months once it hits the stores, and see what will intel do to respond. market and real word application are 2 different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 04:25 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Do you think I should invest in AMD stock? I'm thinking it'd be an 80% gamble if Ryzen is clearly better. AMD got beat in the past because Intel outmarketed their dual cores saying Intel was better or so.

Also, are those Ryzens on a new cpu interface, or would they work on past proven AMD motherboards?
I am not in a position to advise you on how to invest your money. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do. What I will tell you is I have made a pretty successful investment and a few other friends who have been following AMD have done the same.

No, AM4 is a completely new chipset. It will run on DDR4 instead of DDR3, the memory control will be moved from the northbridge into the CPU and there's probably a number of additional changes. But long story short, no. It will not be usable on motherboards for older AMD CPU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Not sure but said that you will need a new board, but major companies are on board with them. For sales purpose. I would wait it out honestly till it hits the streets and major gamers before i would invest in anything AMD. Like somebody said, they been prove to lie or least misjudge their specs when it comes to real world value. They maybe cheaper and little bit more power, but intel has a big proven record on reliability. During my PC refurb days, i repair more AMD boards and processors than intel due to heat and incompatibility issues. some were great builds and did things right but still ended up with a burnt cpu. So wait it out a few months once it hits the stores, and see what will intel do to respond. market and real word application are 2 different things.
I think this is pretty sound advice. I (obviously) want AMD to be great; but if we want to be realistic, they talk themselves up a lot. We really just have to wait and see what happens.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:59 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,080 times
AMD being successful is good no matter which camp you are in. Competition will force intel to lower prices.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:23 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
AMD being successful is good no matter which camp you are in. Competition will force intel to lower prices.
dont think they will. They might lower the 4-5 gens down to clean out the market, as some are still demanding 300+ vs 6-7gen 500s. So they would need to sell 4-5gen in the upper 150s and next gens in the 300s to compete, but why when the demand is their and so is stock. Be nice if they would or i would uprgade to 7 gen, but i would need a new board and ram. Another cost i cant do at the moment unless i sell this machine. They might just to drum up some business but it be a small discount if any. When they did the FX years ago, we was getting the i7-4k and they never drop the prices..

Old 02-23-2017, 05:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,020 times
Yeah, if Intel responds by lowering prices then maybe AMD stock might get a hiccup or fall.

I'm aiming for the Ryzen 1700. I need a high powered computing capability CPU that is low electrical powered, for a solar owered desktop. Oh, but I got my Asus ROG... Hmmm... Maybe Asus might make a Ryzen powered ROG?

Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 AM

More interesting news!
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Overclocked To 4GHz On All 8 Cores - Provides 1800X+ Performance With Decent Motherboards & Cooling

A Ryzen 7 1700 was overclocked to 4.05GHz and was able to outperform the 1800x, i7-5960x and the i7-6900k. Gives me pretty big hopes for what the 1800x could do when overclocked
In addition, what has long been the bane of AMD fans, the Single threaded performance, seems to be quite fixed. In fact, from current benchmarks, the Ryzen CPU's have a BETTER IPC than Kaby Lake CPU's.

Last edited by Skyl3r; 02-24-2017 at 06:08 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 07:19 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I wouldn't rush out and buy AMD stock based on this. Come on now. Let's not get too excited.
AMD was $2.10 in Nov 2012. Today it's $14.32. You should have bought AMD stock 4 years ago.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I wouldn't rush out and buy AMD stock based on this. Come on now. Let's not get too excited.
AMD was $2.10 in Nov 2012. Today it's $14.32. You should have bought AMD stock 4 years ago.
Well, look what happened to NVidia. Just saying

Old 03-02-2017, 01:08 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am sure 4 years ago, someone else said the same thing!

I, for one, am game. I have enjoyed my i7 for the last 4+ years but instead of getting a better core i7, I have no problem grabbing a Ryzen 1700x or even 1800x but I would need to see what kind of motherboards they will come up for them and their price range.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:05 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I am sure 4 years ago, someone else said the same thing!

I, for one, am game. I have enjoyed my i7 for the last 4+ years but instead of getting a better core i7, I have no problem grabbing a Ryzen 1700x or even 1800x but I would need to see what kind of motherboards they will come up for them and their price range.
The more interesting question is how Ryzen will perform in the real world versus synthetic benchmarks. The early real world benchmarks are not good, especially for gaming. Kind of the Catch 22. If no one buys Ryzen, developers won't bother optimizing for Ryzen. If they don't optimize for Ryzen, no one will buy Ryzen. Honestly, pretty safe bet that Adobe will optimize for Ryzen so if that's a factor it's pretty safe. Whether games do is a bigger question. As it stands now, the $500 1800X performs about as well as a $230 i5 Kaby Lake in gaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers