Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:41 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but this is a 2008-2009 unit from what I saw from the HP data sheet. You're basically nearing the end of life for mechanical components in the PC like the fans and probably the hard disk as well. Honestly, I can't believe the fans are still going.

I built my PC in early 2013. I've lived in clean environments (no animals, nothing really going on, but bright sunshine in room sometimes) to dirtier ones (basement in a five cat household) and have blown the PC out with a hair dryer and compressed area around every quarter. Especially now with the cats, that keeps not only dust, but animal hair as well, from building up and choking fans.

Honestly, a machine this old isn't worth working on much, the parts would be more than it's worth. Fans don't cost much, and if you can find ones cheap that fit, replace them. Otherwise, it's not worth the time and effort to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 03:47 PM

133 posts, read 90,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Honestly, a machine this old isn't worth working on much, the parts would be more than it's worth. Fans don't cost much, and if you can find ones cheap that fit, replace them. Otherwise, it's not worth the time and effort to fix.
Yap. If I were a geekwad. I would tell the OP to just buy a new PC. Coz guess what OP, I bet you can buy a new PC on the amount you paid for that new HD installed.

It's unreal how best buy hires these teenagers and not me, like for serious. I would give great advice everytime to their clients. Ugh.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:27 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyosa View Post
Yap. If I were a geekwad. I would tell the OP to just buy a new PC. Coz guess what OP, I bet you can buy a new PC on the amount you paid for that new HD installed.

It's unreal how best buy hires these teenagers and not me, like for serious. I would give great advice everytime to their clients. Ugh.
Yes, I have thought about and considered buying a new PC, but since the current one's hardware specs support up to 128GB RAM (the max capacity of which IIRC even most modern consumer desktops still can't quite yet support), I thought that if I could hopefully squeeze a at least a few more years of life out of it, it may perhaps have been well worth the effort. Also from a purely maintenance standpoint, it would be a lot easier to keep the existing system's configuration as-is rather than to have to buy a brand-new PC, and reconfigure it, reinstall all applications, etc. -- again one of the reasons I prefer to buy PCs with long usage lifecycles, rather than replacing them every few years.

Since many posters here recommended against using GeekSquad for having computers serviced at, I may just give my local Microcenter store a call to see if I can take the computer in to be looked at, in case it needs a new fan, and/or to test if the motherboard may be starting to fail, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers