U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:52 PM

7,933 posts, read 7,344,728 times

Advertisements

Acer Laptop, 2-1/2 years old, will not accept any Wi-Fi signal when other Wi-Fi devices in the same location do. Grandson set his phone up as a Wi-Fi hotspot in another location and laptop would not pick up that signal either.

I have run many diagnostic tests, i.e. I have searched "Can't find Wi-Fi signal," Can't find internet," "Finding Wireless Hotspots," and always get the same results. Computer says "cannot find valid IP address."

Could this be internal software issue or possible hardware problem? Have I done something to cause this?

Please HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 01:28 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,536,575 times
Quick and dirty solution, check this first:
Some laptops have a hard switch for the WiFi antenna. (It's an excellent security measure since it can't be hacked with anything other than a fingernail). It will almost certainly have a tiny LED on/off lamp, so look for that too.
Others have a soft-switch (IE: a combination of keys, pressed to toggle the WiFi antenna).

Other Steps to follow:
Did you confirm that the house-WiFi is working?
IE: can you connect to it with something else, say your grandson's cell?
* Use the cell's browser to run a WiFi diagnostic to confirm signal strength. I like "WiFi Analyzer"

Have you been able to use your laptop to connect to any other WiFi (that's open, IE at a Starbucks)

When you enable WiFi on your laptop, a program should be started that will scan for WiFis and perhaps try to auto-connect to your house-WiFi (if configured correctly in the past).
Describe this process so we can get clues as to why it fails.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:18 PM

133 posts, read 67,425 times
Reboot computer. Reboot router. ALWAYS works. IF it doesn't. OH well.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:42 PM

5,079 posts, read 2,583,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post

Could this be internal software issue or possible hardware problem? Have I done something to cause this?
boot it up using something like fedora live-usb. if it worx in fedora then the windows configuration is mashed up. if it doesnt work in fedora then the hardware is probably bruk up.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:59 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,068,346 times
Is the wifi turned off? Airport mode?
Try to add a new network for the wifi.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:07 PM

26,355 posts, read 11,564,249 times
Speaking of that...what exactly is "airport mode"?

Old 03-26-2017, 07:57 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,546,921 times
Reboot the router and modem, sometimes my wife's tablet or one of our phones will do that, once rebooted all work again.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:05 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,313,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Turns off everything that requires wifi or Bluetooth. Kinda pointless unless you want to be DND situation. I left my cell phone on airplanes many many times, gotten texts and if conditions are right, i gotten a phone call or two.. The phone rings but voice is garbage. But text will work if your not flying too high. short trips less than 2 hours they attend to fly low enough were you can get a signal by the window.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,068,346 times
Quote:
Should have said airplane mode. It lets you turn off the wifi. Usually on phones and portable computers.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,536,575 times
Quote:
Airplane mode is setting your phone so it does not transmit cell phone signals (voice or text).
This measure is taken because some aircraft electronics use similar frequencies so a phone transmitting might cause problems. Especially during takeoff and landing.
Since cell phone systems are two way, (phones connecting to towers), this means you can't receive-only as well.

Some airlines forbid all phone transmissions, so WiFi and Bluetooth shouldn't be used, but the FAA's policy is that WiFi is OK if the airplane has it, and Bluetooth is OK as it's very short range / very low power.

Some phones also turn off the GPS. While the actual GPS function is strictly one-way (receiving from the satellites), it's pretty useless unless it's displayed on a map. Some phones have the map data already saved but some download the map data as needed, and that wouldn't be available in Airplane Mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers